• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

henrikol

Reaction score
Just got my comfort craftsman in chestnut color. Beautiful!
Now, how should I treat them before I go out in the snowy weather? Do I need to put anything more than the Stockman's Boot Polish that came with the shoes?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my comfort craftsman in chestnut color. Beautiful!
Now, how should I treat them before I go out in the snowy weather? Do I need to put anything more than the Stockman's Boot Polish that came with the shoes?

as with all new shoes, condition the leather and the welt threads, light wax the leather and the welt threads, before you put them to use.

Murray

Reaction score

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Hi all, first post.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]I went on the hunt for a pair of RMW yesterday and had some luck at the DFO near the airport (I live in Melbourne) but now I have a question about the leather, or more specifically breaking in the leather. I have never had a pair of boots before and so I rightly went with the advice of the bloke in the store who told me convincingly that he worked for RMW for 20 years who told me I am a 9G. Cool, wearing them now...but my big toe on my left foot feels like it wants to cry! The right boot is better and feels like it should give over time to fit very well, but I am a little frightened the left is just too small.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]How long has it taken most people to break in the toe box on a pair of French Veal Craftsmen boots?? And are there any tips that make it simple?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]I have read a good part of this thread, but forgive me please for not wanting to read 200+ pages![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Thanks.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]MrMc.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]PS. Till the stock runs out there is a $50 sale on boots at the Melbourne DFO (the Spencer st one), most of the sizes are around 6-7. Good luck to you if you have smaller feet. (Current Aug 19)[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Hi mate. I have around 11 pairs of RMs , of which one pair is the Craftsman in French Veal Calf. Unfortunately, it sounds to me that they are too small for you. Did the salesman measure you up? My experience suggests that these boots should fit out of the box and feel like you have been wearing them all of your life. The key is getting the correct size. If your left foot is in pain, I would sell them, as they will never stretch to accommodate the size difference and they will only get worse when your feet swell in the hot weather.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi mate. I have around 11 pairs of RMs , of which one pair is the Craftsman in French Veal Calf. Unfortunately, it sounds to me that they are too small for you. Did the salesman measure you up? My experience suggests that these boots should fit out of the box and feel like you have been wearing them all of your life. The key is getting the correct size. If your left foot is in pain, I would sell them, as they will never stretch to accommodate the size difference and they will only get worse when your feet swell in the hot weather.

Well said. These are not boots that require a lengthy, uncomfortable break-in period. All footwear will break in with use but my two pair of yearling craftsman boots felt great out of the box. Stiff leather, like that found on workboots (Whites, Red Wing, etc.) takes time to soften up and be comfortable. It's recommened that users wear them for just a few hours at a time until they break in. RMW craftsman should not require this step. I'd think that they are the wrong size.

Did the SA measure you? Did you try on multiple sizes? I'd bring them back to the store and respectfully request a different size. It's not like you are looking for a refund but rather an exchange based on poor fit advice. It can't hurt to try.

JPoli

Reaction score
Hello all, I've lurked quite a bit of this thread, but I've created an account to bring a question to you guys regarding my own pair of RMs.

So, I bought my 1st pair a little under a year ago, Kangaroo Craftsman. I initially loved them, but somewhat recently I've noticed a sort of defect in my boots that's really annoying me and I wanted an opinion.

The toe stiffeners are uneven. The left boot's is about 1/2-3/4 an centimeter longer than the right's, and the Right's actually curves up on the inside edge. In case it's not immediately visible in the picture here's a crude outline of what I believe to be the edge of each toe stiffener.

As you can see on the left boot, the leather is actually buckling up against the stiffener.
Now, I do like the creasing on the kangaroo in general, it's what attracted me to the kangaroo leather in the 1st place; but because the leather is a lot thinner, it's really accentuated this flaw.

Is there anything I can do about this? If i bring them to RM Williams is there anything they can/will do about this?
I'd really love to love these boots, but this is really bugging me.

Thank you.

Murray

Reaction score
Hi mate. It is personal opinion, but the beauty of an RM boot is its individuality. You have to remember that these boots are pretty much hand made, thus they will always differ. A pair of mine have creased differently and taken on different patinas, but I love that. Another consideration is that your feet are different, thus when you walk, you will probably crease the boot in a different way.

I know this doesn't answer your question per se, so I don't think you should worry about it, as the more you wear them, the more individual they will become. Just enjoy them.

Cheers.

wxxnxs

Reaction score

Hello all, I've lurked quite a bit of this thread, but I've created an account to bring a question to you guys regarding my own pair of RMs. So, I bought my 1st pair a little under a year ago, Kangaroo Craftsman. I initially loved them, but somewhat recently I've noticed a sort of defect in my boots that's really annoying me and I wanted an opinion. The toe stiffeners are uneven. The left boot's is about 1/2-3/4 an centimeter longer than the right's, and the Right's actually curves up on the inside edge. In case it's not immediately visible in the picture here's a crude outline of what I believe to be the edge of each toe stiffener. As you can see on the left boot, the leather is actually buckling up against the stiffener. Now, I do like the creasing on the kangaroo in general, it's what attracted me to the kangaroo leather in the 1st place; but because the leather is a lot thinner, it's really accentuated this flaw. Is there anything I can do about this? If i bring them to RM Williams is there anything they can/will do about this? I'd really love to love these boots, but this is really bugging me. Thank you.
Your boots looks like perfect from your pictures, I think you don't wear them quite often. I have the same situation as you and even worse, however from my opinion, as long as the leather doesn't break up, it should be no problem at all for you wearing. I will post some photos later on, and you will know exactly what I'm saying.

wxxnxs

Reaction score
Regarding your issue, I think I have the same problem as you but even worse, however I don't think it is a big problem. I have attached some photos from my boots.

dlind

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get my hands on a pair of boot shoetrees for RM Williams boots? links are appreciated! I have looked everywhere but haven't found anything!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads