• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’ve a pair of chinchilla cognac. Never worn. The toes appear ‘crinkly’ on both boots. With the burnishing you can’t condition them..

can’t send back as had for a while, long story, I’ve emailed RM Williams to see if they’d replace. Appreciators Xmas will see what they say.

Attachments

• 5FF45176-E0DA-4175-B6C1-9FA6D6B9E70A.jpeg
    5FF45176-E0DA-4175-B6C1-9FA6D6B9E70A.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 345

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve a pair of chinchilla cognac. Never worn. The toes appear ‘crinkly’ on both boots. With the burnishing you can’t condition them..

can’t send back as had for a while, long story, I’ve emailed RM Williams to see if they’d replace. Appreciators Xmas will see what they say.

Did that happen over time in storage? Or came that way new

Jykaes

Reaction score
Fwiw, you can absolutely sand down the sole edges. Been done many times by Alden folks, but also this person goes into a lot of depth: https://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/diy-cobbler-ing-changing-sole-edge-color.112293/

From that link: "Of course, the top of the welt and the stormwelt ridge above it had to stay black; no way to change the color on those without a whole new welt."

That's what I'm saying, the welt cannot be done properly without a resole. That's the important part. That leather is dyed black, in order to sand it back you would have to destroy the welt in the process.

Ooh yikes, that's definitely a replace, but the having for a while is a bit dicey. However... they really let that out of the factory that way? That's insane, I've seen seconds I couldn't even tell what was wrong, RM's QC used to be so much better than recently.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must have had an aneurism and forgot all about the discussion that was had in this thread months ago. Totakaelo had a sale around Thanksgiving (has a sale now too.. https://totokaelo.com/search?q=R.M. Williams&prefn1=brand&prefv1=R.M. Williams&lang=en_US) and I purchased a pair of RMW Gardener in a 8.5G. I should have gone with a 9G I think to give myself more room, but the 8.5 seem to work. I'll be in Australia in a few days and hope to get measured at a RMW shop and maybe purchase a Craftsman in a H width..

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that a G fitting? Looks like a nice wide toe-box..have you had them long? They look wider (and I like it) than my Gardener

H fitting. If anything, I’d say the toe box in the Gardener is roomier than the Craftsman.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H fitting. If anything, I’d say the toe box in the Gardener is roomier than the Craftsman.
Great, thanks! Maybe for variety I will check the Craftsman in an H ;)

Gardener in a 8+ H would be perfect but the G seems do-able too. Pinky gets a lil squished ;D. 9G would be too long I reckon

midazoslam

Reaction score
I'm an 8.5H in craftsmen and have a mix of RMs. In my experience:

Gardener VS Comfort craftsman are the same functional length and width across the mid foot, but the gardener has a tad more toe room both up and down and side to side. I never felt like sizing down in gardeners would be comfortable.

Turnouts vs Gardener and CC are a touch shorter (I feel much more toe cap contact). The turnout toe width is still narrower than the Gardener and is shorter. The silhouette is sleeker with the thinner sole. I'd go one size up in comfort turnout vs craftsman next time.

Standard craftsmen vs all are tighter side to side than the CCs, but same length. The only thing I haven't tried is the dynamic flex. I can get some comparison pictures if you want.

Speaking of gardeners, I picked up a pair of Gammons (which are a tan soled, vesta leather gardener) and I am sorely missing the comfort insole. Does anyone know of something thin and padded similarly to the comforts that I could add in? My more broken in suede gardeners have a superfeet dress 3/4 insole which works fantastically. These ar are still too stiff to accommodate them.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Shameless plug for my 8.5G gardener in the black leather. $325 shipped USA. Mild wear for 2 weeks.

I leave for Australia tomorrow so I won't be able to ship until February unless you're quick on the draw and i ship it tomorrow :D

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads