• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL Suit Critique - Pictures

satorstyle

Reaction score
Looks a lot better with the bottom button unfastened. A little room in the waist, sleeve adjustment should look great.

Icarium

Reaction score
Yep, looks better with that bottom button undone.

I think you said you were close to (in?) NYC, so plenty of good tailors to choose from.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Just make sure after its altered you don't wear that wide of a tie with those skinny lapels.

lol.. don't worry. That was just an old beater tie my dad passed on to me

Thanks for all the other positive comments.

So.. the general consensus is besides the obvious alterations (sleeves, trouser length / waist) I should let the waist out a little?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarium
My understanding is that the chest usually cannot be "let out" at all. I thought chest, shoulders, and upper arm fit are all dangerous and/or impossible to alter. Shoulders can be perhaps narrowed if the tailor is very good. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Most RTW has some fabric that can be let out via the back seam.

billiebob

Reaction score
That suit looks excellent. Releasing the bottom button solved the fit issues entirely. Near perfect sleeve pitch! I haven't read all the replies but I'm guessing this hasn't had the sleeve length set yet.. Good score.

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Most RTW has some fabric that can be let out via the back seam.

First off, bob is right! Sleeve pitch is incredible! You're very lucky in that regard.

In response to Kobalto, doesn't that just widen the back panel a touch? I was talking with Jason at TaT about that exact same alteration. I don't quite understand how that one works with regards to chest/shoulder fit - my tailoring knowledge sucks.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wouldnt touch the waist suppression.

though i must say it would be helpful if the second set of pictures was done similar to the first set.

it pulls oddly in the first set because the lower button is done up, which also adds to the effect of the waist suppression, making it look like too much.

the jacket and sleeves look a bit long, i think that if this is a Reg, you should have gone for a short.

the pants look like they dont do well for you, but that might change a bit once they're hemmed.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it works for you, but every guy on this forum gets a hard on for RLBL because they are brand whores and slim suit whores. I am sure you will listen to them and go get the alterations they suggest done, but you run the risk that it won't look like the RLBL silhouette or even be a good bargain at that point.

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
shouldn't the side vent lay perpendicular to the ground? they look to be sticking out a tad at the butt

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I don't think it works for you, but every guy on this forum gets a hard on for RLBL because they are brand whores and slim suit whores. I am sure you will listen to them and go get the alterations they suggest done, but you run the risk that it won't look like the RLBL silhouette or even be a good bargain at that point.

with exception to the first rant, i agree, i dont think it does well. Mostly do to the pants, and that its the wrong length.

I think the polo line would do much better.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah

Why don't you think it works for me?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
with exception to the first rant, i agree, i dont think it does well. Mostly do to the pants, and that its the wrong length. I think the polo line would do much better.
I dont think a single pair of RTW pants will look great on me at first.. so I'm not really sure what you mean by that.. What in particular looks bad about the pants? As for the length..I think a 38S would look kind of silly as I'm 5'10 with a long torso... In regards to the last few posts.. I don't mind if you critique the suit (that's what I was hoping for!) but please list why you think it doesn't work. And I get the opinion Haganah just doesn't like RLBL. I will take pictures that are similar to the second set later in a few hours when my gf comes home from work. Thanks again for all the comments

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads