• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I worked in a Spanish restaurant and the chef (Basque) would make them at 9 am so they were cool enough to serve at lunch. I'm sure somewhere in Spain they serve them as an omelet, but its not very good to my taste. I came in once on a day off to watch how its done, its a favorite around my house. Esquire recently had a great recipe for one, some nice nuances I tried and worked.

BTW, my ex had a redneck sister who put ketchup on one I made.

They are served cool, room temp and warm. I like them a lot. And you are right, lots of possible variations, none of which include ketchup.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They are served cool, room temp and warm. I like them a lot. And you are right, lots of possible variations, none of which include ketchup.

I'm no expert, but room temperature is the Spanish norm. Hot and cold seems like American bastardization.

My favorite variation is red peppers, garlic and cilantro. I've tried dozens of combinations, basil doesn't work, nor do green peppers. Making it spicy is ok, I've tried cayanne and red pepper, and strangely french beans work. Another variation I tried was thin sliced Manchego, but it breaks up and you dont get burst of it which is what I was after. Rapini is another I tried, I liked it (my favorite vegetable) but it is likely not to many folks taste.

I talked about that ketchup bullshit for years. Idiot. She was a redneck.

braised

Reaction score

In the DC suburbs:

Girasole in The Plains, VA.  Really great pasta dishes at reasonable prices and a decent wine list...  Robert Duvall lives nearby and eats there often.  Try it when the weather permits outside dining.  Also, arriving during daylight is best.  It reminds me a little of Florence, Italy.  It's worth the drive, which is very nice if you avoid I66 and take the side roads.

Cheers,

Rossoz, iif you're out this way, try The French Hound in Middleburg. The chef is a NECI grad, was with the team that opened bouchon in napa, spent time in France as a private chef - he's a total francofile. The food is great, smart updates on bistro classics and some local ideas. Best frites in virginia.

Braised

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ The Plains, VA is hardly DC suburb, its like 40 miles out. Nice rec, will have to try if I'm out that way.

Hell, drive the extra 40 miles and $500 and hit The Inn at Little Washington.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Weird. Never really thought about it, but I've never been to any Danny Meyer restaurants (Shake Shack doesn't count). Not a conscious choice or anything--just happened that way.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the pig blood Popsicle that Brad Farmerie made at a food tasting event and it was quite excellent. Didn't taste metallic at all. I am usually not a fan of the blood jelly foodstuffs. They don't serve it at the Public but they do at the bar next door.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

^ Weird. Never really thought about it, but I've never been to any Danny Meyer restaurants (Shake Shack doesn't count). Not a conscious choice or anything--just happened that way.

fix it. Just pop up to the bar and order some wine and snacks. Nothing more, nothing less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads