• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

EPrest90

Reaction score
I usually just use the Red Wing products on my Red Wing boots. I think they recommend their all natural boot oil or mink oil, not sure. I'd shoot them an email or check the website.

Neognosis

Reaction score
I would recommend not treating them at all until they need it. Probably at least six months from now if you bought the boots new and don't wear them in a wet environment regularly.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ready for winter number 4

IMG_20140820_120628_zpsukw0cte5.jpg
Love the boots.. I have the same pair and would love it if that is how they turn out after a while.. What and when did you treat these with.. Also what laces are those??

Last edited:

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
I alternate a bit between the stuff I have. I use a saphir renovateur and black and brown kiwi polish to get a good rich color. A good horsehair brush is also a plus:)
I snowseal the welts 2 or three times between october and march to keep them waterproof:)
The laces are the standard Beckman laces which I prefer over the standard ones.

Love the boots.. I have the same pair and would love it if that is how they turn out after a while..  What and when did you treat these with.. Also what laces are those??

Justo

Reaction score
Where do you see that?

I see:
Quote: and at the bottom of the page it only lists the boot oil

This is where i got what I said, however:

edit: oh i see what you're saying now - not recommended but acceptable i suppose

Last edited:

azcodito

Reaction score
I did the same thing you're doing to figure out my size in the IR. I finally just went to a RW store and kept trying on smaller and smaller shoes until my toes hit the front. Actually got down to a 9.5EE. Mind you I wear a 12D in Nike. I finally ended up sticking with a 10.5D, they felt tight on the top of my feet but after a few weeks they finally broke in and feel awesome. The RW salesman told me that when you go from D to E you'll not only gain size on width but also on length. I forgot the exact measurement, but it is something like an 1/8"
If you look on RW European website they actually have a little more user friendlier interaction.

A new pair of Red Wing Heritage boots should fit comfortably tight on your foot, with enough room to freely wiggle your toes. Over time the full grain leather upper, leather footboard and cork midsole mold to your feet, creating an enduring and customized fit over time with each wear.

I felt that they 11D was too long and 'ronald mcdonald' like. I'm glad I stuck with the 10.5D.

mistercitizen

Reaction score
I did the same thing you're doing to figure out my size in the IR. I finally just went to a RW store and kept trying on smaller and smaller shoes until my toes hit the front. Actually got down to a 9.5EE. Mind you I wear a 12D in Nike. I finally ended up sticking with a 10.5D, they felt tight on the top of my feet but after a few weeks they finally broke in and feel awesome. The RW salesman told me that when you go from D to E you'll not only gain size on width but also on length. I forgot the exact measurement, but it is something like an 1/8"
If you look on RW European website they actually have a little more user friendlier interaction.

A new pair of Red Wing Heritage boots should fit comfortably tight on your foot, with enough room to freely wiggle your toes. Over time the full grain leather upper, leather footboard and cork midsole mold to your feet, creating an enduring and customized fit over time with each wear.

I felt that they 11D was too long and 'ronald mcdonald' like. I'm glad I stuck with the 10.5D.

I suppose it's very likely or possible that I could've gone down to a 10 EE, given the increase in length when you increase the width, since I didn't really find the 10.5 D's to be crowding my toes.... they were more narrow than anything. Given the shape of the toe box on the IR's, I think determining the proper length can be deceiving. Since it's bumped up, I think you can get a fairly snug fit in terms of length, and still have some toe wiggle room..... so it's easier to crowd the toes with these boots and still have them feel comfortable.

I guess by the third pair I was just ready to accept the fit of the 10.5 EE's. They fit well and if anything I'd rather have a little extra room than none. It's also hard to say how the footbed is going to conform to your foot, and whether or not that is going to be comfortable or if maybe a cushion insole might be needed..... or even a low profile insole with a bit of arch support. My first choice is always to fit the boot to your foot wearing the pair of socks you are going to wear with that boot most often and not count on sizing up for an insole...... but some factory insoles are just flat out uncomfortable, and some additional cushion may be needed.

As long as my foot is not sliding around in the boots or shoes, I'm usually okay with a little extra room.

Ben

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my pair of 8111s.. I had initially bought them to wear until my White's order came through... However the more I wear these, the more I seem to love them. These actually look better now than when new.

The laces on these are from the Beckman boot.

In the shade..

And in the sun..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads