• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

ElBron21

Reaction score
ya I've seen it, i just don't like the gold clasp on the belt, id much prefer silver
I suppose you'll just have to wear them to a department store and try to find a belt that matches close enough for your liking.
As for the watch strap, I have no idea. I suppose you do the same thing as with the belt, or just get something that looks close online?
I do respect the man that does still rock a watch, but as for me I never wear them. So, I'm no help on that front..

ElBron21

Reaction score
Just cleaned up my 4586s. Looking brand new
:nodding:

BootGuy

Reaction score
Really dumb question, but would buying a shoe in wide make it easier to put on?

I'm still really hung up on my chukkas. Coming from Timberlands they just feel narrow. Length wise they're fine, but I find them difficult to put on.

BootGuy

Reaction score
Not really, tight, but the outer edge of my foot pushes against the inside of the boot and I feel like if I wore them for 6 months they'd really stretch out there.

They're very tight to get on though even with the tongue pulled all the way out, and visibly they're far narrower than my Timberlands. Granted my Timberlands are 4 or 5 years old and pretty well stretched and worn out.

HHer

Reaction score
Yeah the Munson Ranger looks great but again is not available Stateside. Why Red Wing, why?

Some other Asian only models that need to come to the USA:

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know if those 8015/8016-Blacksmith boots are as sturdy as the western Blacksmith models or IRs at the heel without having the vertical reinforcing leather strip at the back? They seem to be similar to the old RW 2224 from the 1970s. Thx.

ElBron21

Reaction score
Not really, tight, but the outer edge of my foot pushes against the inside of the boot and I feel like if I wore them for 6 months they'd really stretch out there.

They're very tight to get on though even with the tongue pulled all the way out, and visibly they're far narrower than my Timberlands. Granted my Timberlands are 4 or 5 years old and pretty well stretched and worn out.

When I first bought my Beckmans, I bet the first 3 months I had to unlace them down to the bottom two eyelets just to get them on and my feet
I hadn't had that problem with prior pairs of red wings in the same shoe size n width.
But I stuck with them because they still felt good it just was a bit of a shove to get my feet in the boots...but after awhile they gave way and now I slip right into them

ElBron21

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know if those 8015/8016-Blacksmith boots are as sturdy as the western Blacksmith models or IRs at the heel without having the vertical reinforcing leather strip at the back? They seem to be similar to the old RW 2224 from the 1970s. Thx.

I bet the absence of the extra support on the back of the heel might be somewhat noticeable if you have iron rangers already, but I doubt that it is much
I own 4 or 5 that have them, and a pair that doesn't and I haven't noticed

ElBron21

Reaction score

chukkas are supposed to be and look narrow I feel

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's some new RW Fall '15 boots up on Red Wing's website

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/footwear

A couple things of note:

•Includes an Oxblood Mesa Iron Ranger with a mini-lug sole (for all those who complain about the Iron Ranger traction w/ the cord sole). Looks very nice... I already put an order in for a pair with my dealer.

•Do we really need Beckman Round's in 8 different leathers? I guess they sell well. Also, whatever happened to the Beckman moc-toes? Bring em back!

•Nice to see the Blacksmiths get the Copper Rough and Tough leather which is an amazing pull-up leather that ages beautifully. Same goes for the lugged Roughnecks. Very tempting.

•Still no Munson Rangers in the North American market. Bummer! Hope we get access to these sometime. Would also love to get my hands on the Munson Oxfords I've seen in the Asian markets.

•Wingtip Beckmans nowhere to be found for North America. Another bummer.... I really dig the looks of these.

•The black Spitfire leather Blacksmiths look really great with the contrast brass eyelets.

•Also no sign of the Asian market Blacksmith with the storm welt and unstructured top. Pretty please, RW?!

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just took delivery of the new 8119's and they are stunners.

Some thoughts:

•The leather is absolutely stunning -- a rich burgundy oxblood. It's soft but thick and beefy. I'm hoping this leather gets more use in other new models.

•Changing out the cork outsole for the Vibram mini-lug sole is interesting. I'm sure RW was responding to customer feedback since many people complain about the slippage during winter w/ the cork. I think I prefer the aesthetics of the cork (dat flecked look doe) but the utility of the mini-lug, or at least the idea thereof since these haven't seen any real world tests yet.

•I like the antique brass hardware against the Oxblood but I kinda wish the brass would be new so we can antique it ourselves.

•The usual top notch construction from RW. I also can't fault QC, I've had great luck with RW's and have never sent a pair back.

•These are fresh off the line. The tag says they were made 6/15 -- just last month.

Here are some pics:

Last edited:

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
So, after about 5 weeks of using the original RW leather shoe laces, the first one broke yesterday. And there were days in between, when I didn't even wear the boots. So I'm not very impressed with the quality of the laces ATM. Will try others, to see if they last longer than the originals.
Apart from that: the boots have broken in very nicely, nothing hurting any longer and they are comfortable all day around, even on long walks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads