• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
Wow! These look great! Will be fun to se the evolution of this leather with wear and I have to admit that the only gripe I have with my 8111's are traction in slippery conditions.

You mentioned a japanese version of the Blacksmith that came unstructured, do you have the model number or pictures of that one?:)

Just took delivery of the new 8119's and they are stunners.

Some thoughts:

•The leather is absolutely stunning -- a rich burgundy oxblood. It's soft but thick and beefy. I'm hoping this leather gets more use in other new models.

•Changing out the cork outsole for the Vibram mini-lug sole is interesting. I'm sure RW was responding to customer feedback since many people complain about the slippage during winter w/ the cork. I think I prefer the aesthetics of the cork (dat flecked look doe) but the utility of the mini-lug, or at least the idea thereof since these haven't seen any real world tests yet.

•I like the antique brass hardware against the Oxblood but I kinda wish the brass would be new so we can antique it ourselves.

•The usual top notch construction from RW. I also can't fault QC, I've had great luck with RW's and have never sent a pair back.

•These are fresh off the line. The tag says they were made 6/15 -- just last month.

Here are some pics:

[

gasoline

Reaction score

Where do I get these?
http://www.thesartorialguide.com/news/2015/7/23/red-wing-heritage-release-the-postman-boot

Captcha Code

Reaction score
rw3140thumb.png

How do guys size on the work chukka. I read they have the same last as the postman's. does that mean I should just get the same size as my postman's?

timshel

Reaction score
Yep, sized like the postman.
I have a pair of chukkas that are a few years old now. Didn't like 'em at first because of the narrow toe box but they got comfortable after 4 or 5 months!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rw3140thumb.png

How do guys size on the work chukka. I read they have the same last as the postman's. does that mean I should just get the same size as my postman's?

I've never tried the postman. Since the postman and the chukka are built using the same last, the fit should be very similar.

Captcha Code

Reaction score

Yep, sized like the postman.  
I have a pair of chukkas that are a few years old now.  Didn't like 'em at first because of the narrow toe box but they got comfortable after 4 or 5 months!

how do you find the grip on them. a friend has the 875s and says they are super slippery indoors if you have been outside in the rain for a bit. had times where he nearly slipped when walking inside the shops.

the chukka soles look a bit different and a bit more grippy. are they any better?

Or how about the 866 pull on boots? How do you guys size up on them? The standard 0.5 size down from your regular sneaker size?

Last edited:

johnnykicks

Reaction score
Those are way cool. According to Red Wing, these retailers will carry them (when?)

http://www.redwingheritage.com/page/limitededitions

Those Moc toes look exactly like every other classic moc I see on the website, is it just the color and leather that is different? Out of the three I'd probably snag the Harvestors if I could, those things look like they would outlast me lol.

willis88

Reaction score
There is quite a difference between the shape, welt, laces and leather used for those and also the 1907 you have if comparing to 875 etc.. I size down 1.5 from my sneaker size apart from with the 1907 as they have an insole supplied.

ElBron21

Reaction score
Just took delivery of the new 8119's and they are stunners.

Some thoughts:

•The leather is absolutely stunning -- a rich burgundy oxblood. It's soft but thick and beefy. I'm hoping this leather gets more use in other new models.

•Changing out the cork outsole for the Vibram mini-lug sole is interesting. I'm sure RW was responding to customer feedback since many people complain about the slippage during winter w/ the cork. I think I prefer the aesthetics of the cork (dat flecked look doe) but the utility of the mini-lug, or at least the idea thereof since these haven't seen any real world tests yet.

•I like the antique brass hardware against the Oxblood but I kinda wish the brass would be new so we can antique it ourselves.

•The usual top notch construction from RW. I also can't fault QC, I've had great luck with RW's and have never sent a pair back.

•These are fresh off the line. The tag says they were made 6/15 -- just last month.

Here are some pics:

Those look great! I have 2 iron rangers already but id def consider getting that color, its unique..
The brass eyelets and vibram sole are good upgrades in my opinion. The nitrile cork outsoles are **** in snow and precipitation of the like
That color would look good with dark blue/indigo denim

ElBron21

Reaction score
how do you find the grip on them. a friend has the 875s and says they are super slippery indoors if you have been outside in the rain for a bit. had times where he nearly slipped when walking inside the shops.

the chukka soles look a bit different and a bit more grippy. are they any better?

Or how about the 866 pull on boots? How do you guys size up on them? The standard 0.5 size down from your regular sneaker size?

the 875s the 866s and the Chukkas all have that same white, crepe wedge outsole.
I have the 877s that have that outsole as well, they can be slippery on marble if its been raining or if its dusty tile like in a grocery store.
Once the crepe wedge wears down after a year or 2 they def can get slippery in certain situations. It's not much of an issue in the quality, they just lose their tread..

Im replacing mine next month after 2 years and, although i really like the white outsole and they are super springy and comfy when you first get a pair with them, Im leaning towards a diff outsole. Probably a black vibram sole with a more substantial combat boot-like lug.
Ive been talking to my cobbler about diff options.
Plus a new sole will add to the uniqueness of my 877s

Also about the sizing. I wear a 9 /12 or 10 in sneakers. In red wings I wear an 8.
I highly suggest going to a red wing store and having them size you. It leaves no room for error.

Last edited:

ElBron21

Reaction score
There is quite a difference between the shape, welt, laces and leather used for those and also the 1907 you have if comparing to 875 etc.. I size down 1.5 from my sneaker size apart from with the 1907 as they have an insole supplied.

I size way down. From a 9 1/2-10 to an 8 in redwings. Bc i like my sneakers big (when i used to wear them) and my boots snug (the only thing i wear now)
I only have 1 pair of non-boots, a pair of black chucks, that i never really wear..
Ive kinda been over sneakers/tennis shoes for years now. Im sure that makes me sounds like an asshole but its true..
Now im barefoot, or wearing boots. No in between.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads