• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can use wax, but there is better stuff out there. Shinola has great stuff made for high quality leather, Sno-Seal is absolutely amazing for water-proofing, and Bickmore products (particularly bick 4) are great. I personally use all 3 on mine. Id shy away from a lot of Red Wing's boot oil stuff because if you look at some products it is says on the bottle "not recommended for suede or fine leathers." Which is dumb bc that's what I own.

Nice! Thing is... I don't know where to found those around here.

ElBron21

Reaction score

Schnurretiger

Reaction score

I doubt that guy cares if you asked about color options or not, so dont be rude.

That wasn't meant to be rude, but a clarification.

I have Beckman's and 2 IR's with the nitrile cork that the Blacksmiths have.
The Beckman's commando sole would work better maybe in 'gravel or wet rocks,'  the difference aint much bc the lug of the sole isn't substantial enough.
If youre walkin in that often, the only heritage line boots I would suggest are the 877s which I own and can vouch for in such conditions. Or go buy hiking boots.

Thank you, this is the kind of answer I had been looking for. It's finally something to work with, as most other answers you can find on the web only deal with traction in snow and ice.

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
You can use wax, but there is better stuff out there. Shinola has great stuff made for high quality leather, Sno-Seal is absolutely amazing for water-proofing, and Bickmore products (particularly bick 4) are great. I personally use all 3 on mine. Id shy away from a lot of Red Wing's boot oil stuff because if you look at some products it is says on the bottle "not recommended for suede or fine leathers." Which is dumb bc that's what I own.

"Fine leathers" is not referring to the kind of leathers that red wing uses. It is referring to the leathers used in dress shoes and such, not the heavier oiled leathers red wing uses. Sno-seal is not appropriate for suede or fine leathers either, unless you are looking to "dub" a pair of suede boots.

ElBron21

Reaction score
"Fine leathers" is not referring to the kind of leathers that red wing uses. It is referring to the leathers used in dress shoes and such, not the heavier oiled leathers red wing uses. Sno-seal is not appropriate for suede or fine leathers either, unless you are looking to "dub" a pair of suede boots.

This makes some sense.
I still stray away from buying red wing's oil/conditioner products. I bought them initially but once I tried using other products I think the quality is much better. But that's just me.
I highly recommend using sno-seal on the 877s if you own them (or any leather boot you want to waterproof) It darkens the leather but it makes them water proof which allows me to stand in shallow water for periods of time like while I'm fishing or what-have-you. I know red wing will say that they were already water-proof but probably not %100 true.

Sunstealer73

Reaction score

I doubt that guy cares if you asked about color options or not, so dont be rude.
I have Beckman's and 2 IR's with the nitrile cork that the Blacksmiths have.
The Beckman's commando sole would work better maybe in 'gravel or wet rocks,'  the difference aint much bc the lug of the sole isn't substantial enough.
If youre walkin in that often, the only heritage line boots I would suggest are the 877s which I own and can vouch for in such conditions. Or go buy hiking boots.

The 8146 Moc-Toe is my choice for winter and nasty days. I coated mine heavy in HDLP and wear them with heavy socks.

ElBron21

Reaction score
The 8146 Moc-Toe is my choice for winter and nasty days. I coated mine heavy in HDLP and wear them with heavy socks.

Yeah the heavy lug vibram outersole on those are so nice in the winter. I have the ice cutters that have em and I love them

Captcha Code

Reaction score
Hey guys, New to the forum. I have a pair of Red Wing Postman Oxfords in a size 7US which fit perfectly. Should I just be getting the same size for the Gentleman Traveller or Iron Ranger?

clarkscent

Reaction score
Bought a pair of used Iron rangers one size smaller than usually. and with Width D.

On my left foot it fits great, Just had a minor blister on the side of the heel as expected. But on the right foot my pinky toe is getting squashed. I dont know if it's from the sole or if the toebox is too narrow. My big toe is getting a little pushed but my little toe hurt with every step. Basically its laying on it's side almost. I've been walking in them for 3 days and it has gotten a little bit better. I dont think my feet have that much of a different in width. But who knows. Anything i can do about this?

ElBron21

Reaction score
Hey guys, New to the forum. I have a pair of Red Wing Postman Oxfords in a size 7US which fit perfectly. Should I just be getting the same size for the Gentleman Traveller or Iron Ranger?

Yeah your should have no issues sticking with the 7. I use the same size 8 for all 6 of my red wing models, except for my 11inch engineer boots. The red wing employee suggested i go a half size down to 7 1/2 for pull up boots and he was spot on.

ElBron21

Reaction score
Bought a pair of used Iron rangers one size smaller than usually. and with Width D.

On my left foot it fits great, Just had a minor blister on the side of the heel as expected. But on the right foot my pinky toe is getting squashed. I dont know if it's from the sole or if the toebox is too narrow. My big toe is getting a little pushed but my little toe hurt with every step. Basically its laying on it's side almost. I've been walking in them for 3 days and it has gotten a little bit better. I dont think my feet have that much of a different in width. But who knows. Anything i can do about this?

You may be fucked, bc leather can only stretch so much.
But there may be a few options: double or triple layer your socks on the right foot (or buy really thick wool socks) to kinda beef up that right foot to help make the leather give a little and help relieve your toes so when you stop wearing the socks (which i suggest maybe 2 weeks later?) there is now added room. Maybe while doing this you should oil your boots every other day, maybe every 3 days, to soften the leather to help with the stretching out of them. Now, keep in mind I have never done this now have any of my friends. If that doesn't work, and you still have some persistence in you, I would take them to a cobbler (you'd be surprised how many there are) and see if he can work on the boots to help out with this. Maybe he will work on the toe of the boots itself, or simply replace the inner sole to make room? Also, you could always buy some show trees for a bigger size boot, as big as you can shove in there, and have them do the work (instead of you walking around in the thick socks) while oiling them? These are mainly the only things I can think of that MAY help.
Hopefully you can fix em up to fit you right! Good luck I hope this helps

Tweedboy

Reaction score

You may be able to get them professionally Stretched. I don't know where you live but I got my wife's Fry boots done at Shoehealer. Worked a treat.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may be able to get them professionally Stretched. I don't know where you live but I got my wife's Fry boots done at Shoehealer. Worked a treat.

You can buy shoe-stretchers (essentially shoe trees with a rack mechanism and plugs that you put in strategic holes) but whilst you can stretch leather it does have a habit of shrinking back with time - you'll probably have to either re-stretch them at some point or have them re-stretched if they're very snug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads