• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought a pair of used Iron rangers one size smaller than usually. and with Width D.

On my left foot it fits great, Just had a minor blister on the side of the heel as expected. But on the right foot my pinky toe is getting squashed. I dont know if it's from the sole or if the toebox is too narrow. My big toe is getting a little pushed but my little toe hurt with every step. Basically its laying on it's side almost. I've been walking in them for 3 days and it has gotten a little bit better. I dont think my feet have that much of a different in width. But who knows. Anything i can do about this?

They will never fit right. Your toes need wiggle room, especially in boots. Sizing down a full size is madness, man (unless you have a narrow foot).

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great find my friend! Enjoy them, dont baby them

So I have those exact same Beckmans (same color too). Question - I loved the wax laces that came with them but they broke immediately (on both shoes, not just one). They gave me the parachute cord type as a replacement, which, while seemingly indestructible, come undone almost constantly, to the point where it drives me crazy. Are there any other kinds of laces people use that stay tied and don't break so easily?

ElBron21

Reaction score
So I have those exact same Beckmans (same color too). Question - I loved the wax laces that came with them but they broke immediately (on both shoes, not just one). They gave me the parachute cord type as a replacement, which, while seemingly indestructible, come undone almost constantly, to the point where it drives me crazy. Are there any other kinds of laces people use that stay tied and don't break so easily?

That's weird that those laces broke, they may have been old or something... Who knows, but I also hate the replacement laces they give you now. Eventually they stop coming undone though, just saying. They used to let you go on the red wing site, put you name, address, and what boot model you had, and they would send you the laces they came with for free. But Ive heard that's not the case anymore.

Anyways, if you want that same flat, waxed, cotton type laces, check out these http://wingtip.com/product/wolverine/flat-waxed-shoelaces/38808?skuId=1689949372055291

Sicknsore

Reaction score
I just recently put wooden shoe threes in both my 1907 and 8130 when not wearing them.. It helps keep the shape and absorbs the moisture inside or so i read

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

jeremyjc

Reaction score
This might be a nonsense question but I really like to take care of my shoes so, do you guys use shoe trees for this kind of boots?

I have a pair of the heritage mocs with a lug sole, and I've found that even with near daily wear and monthly leather treatment, they've kept their shape really well due to the design (moc-toe) and the thickness of the leather. There's probably no need for a tree in the more workboot styles, but I'd recommend one if you have a dressier style like the Beckman, just to maintain the toe.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair of the heritage mocs with a lug sole, and I've found that even with near daily wear and monthly leather treatment, they've kept their shape really well due to the design (moc-toe) and the thickness of the leather. There's probably no need for a tree in the more workboot styles, but I'd recommend one if you have a dressier style like the Beckman, just to maintain the toe.

Exactly what I want. I know they are very hard and will resist a long time, but it doesn't hurt the boot to keep the moisture of them by using a tree and mainting it's shape longer.

fpr4

Reaction score
Wish they wouldn't have discontinued the 214s. I think the next pair I might pick up are the blacksmiths.

Neognosis

Reaction score
I don't bother with shoe trees in my boots. (Beckman's and a pair of Affliction branded chinese made junky boots that have been my motorcycle boots for years now).

I think that for boots of workboot type leather and construction, it's pointless.

I use them in higher quality dress shoes, though.

JjasonL

Reaction score
i use trees on all of my leather shoes and boots. It definitely helps keep the shape and reduce creasing on the vamp. I use AE shoe trees in my 1907s that i got for like $15 at nordstroms rack. Imo, they help alot!

clotheshorse69

Reaction score

I don't bother with shoe trees in my boots. (Beckman's and a pair of Affliction branded chinese made junky boots that have been my motorcycle boots for years now).

I think that for boots of workboot type leather and construction, it's pointless.

I use them in higher quality dress shoes, though.

This

CEE88

Reaction score
Guys, anybody purchase the green, Kangatan 8180? I got a pair several months ago and am still formulating my opinion on them. Basically it's the same fit as an 875 so no complaints there. I'll post a few pics in the near future.

CEE88

Reaction score
Red Wing 8180:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads