• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I'm considering getting some RWs as my next boot, but I'm not sure which is best for my needs. Thinking about either the Blacksmith or the Beckman. What I'm not sure about is the sole: I'll be wearing the boots mostly around town, but also quite frequently on gravel, sandy paths, grass and muddy roads. Would this favor the Beckman boot?

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting some RWs as my next boot, but I'm not sure which is best for my needs. Thinking about either the Blacksmith or the Beckman. What I'm not sure about is the sole: I'll be wearing the boots mostly around town, but also quite frequently on gravel, sandy paths, grass and muddy roads. Would this favor the Beckman boot?
I personally think the Beckman has better color options

spedrunr

Reaction score
I think the major difference is the sole material. If you are in a wet environment, the Blacksmith has a full rubber/cork sole. The Beckman has that leather section between the heel and forefoot that would rot over time (unless you can use some sort of water sealant)

I live in the southwest where it's very dry so I don't worry about my Beckmans too much.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score

I personally think the Beckman has better color options

I didn't ask about color options.

I think the major difference is the sole material.  If you are in a wet environment, the Blacksmith has a full rubber/cork sole.  The Beckman has that leather section between the heel and forefoot that would rot over time (unless you can use some sort of water sealant)

I live in the southwest where it's very dry so I don't worry about my Beckmans too much.

I've got some resoled harness boots with a leather section in the middle and they have been fine for the past 10 years, even in the wettest and muddiest of weather conditions. No rot or anything, if taken care of properly. Any input on traction of the Blacksmith on gravel or wet rocks?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got the Beckman's yesterday, I fall in love with them.

Got them at a really nice price since the store isn't going to carry the brand anymore, got them for $243 usd.

Last edited:

Neognosis

Reaction score
I, too, have had a pair of motorcycle boots with a half sole and exposed leather under the instep for around 7 years. Resoled twice, all kinds of wear in all kinds of weather, and no problems with the exposed leather.

Here's my Beckmans. Daily wear since August. Just gave them a quick shine.

emarcus62047

Reaction score
I just purchased a new pair of Red Wing Heritage 8146 6" work boot at my local Red Wing Store.

I'm going through the dreaded "Break In" period, my ankles are killing me but getting better each day. I knew up front that my feet and ankles would be sore but would eventually adapt and the boots should serve me well.

I work on concrete floors at Lowes and this boot was rated number 1 for support when standing and working on concrete floors.

The only thing that concerns me is there is no Red Wing logo stamped into the outside of each boot as I've seen in most pictures of these boots.

Is this normal or is it possible that have I purchased a "knockoff"?

Thanks in advance for any replies

emarcus62047

Reaction score
Thanks very much,

That's what I wanted to hear.

Just finished a 3 mile walk with my dog wearing them and they get better each time.

Have a great day.

Sunstealer73

Reaction score

Can I use a little amount of wax on the Beckman boots? Not a mirror shine, just a small layer of wax to keep them protected?

I use Allen Edmonds shoe creme on my Chestnut Beckman's. I hit them with conditioner, let them dry, wipe on the creme, let it dry, buff with an old t-shirt, and then buff with a brush.

ElBron21

Reaction score
I didn't ask about color options.
I've got some resoled harness boots with a leather section in the middle and they have been fine for the past 10 years, even in the wettest and muddiest of weather conditions. No rot or anything, if taken care of properly. Any input on traction of the Blacksmith on gravel or wet rocks?

I doubt that guy cares if you asked about color options or not, so dont be rude.
I have Beckman's and 2 IR's with the nitrile cork that the Blacksmiths have.
The Beckman's commando sole would work better maybe in 'gravel or wet rocks,' the difference aint much bc the lug of the sole isn't substantial enough.
If youre walkin in that often, the only heritage line boots I would suggest are the 877s which I own and can vouch for in such conditions. Or go buy hiking boots.

ElBron21

Reaction score
Can I use a little amount of wax on the Beckman boots? Not a mirror shine, just a small layer of wax to keep them protected?

You can use wax, but there is better stuff out there. Shinola has great stuff made for high quality leather, Sno-Seal is absolutely amazing for water-proofing, and Bickmore products (particularly bick 4) are great. I personally use all 3 on mine. Id shy away from a lot of Red Wing's boot oil stuff because if you look at some products it is says on the bottle "not recommended for suede or fine leathers." Which is dumb bc that's what I own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads