• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

lodobazz

Reaction score
I'm thinking more about prevention. I can live with it, but I like darker sides or clean white. I clean them with a toothbrush toooooo often.

EPrest90

Reaction score
Something I just noticed- you can now buy boots directly from their website, with free shipping.

They're all full priced of course. I wonder if we're gonna start seeing coupons/promotions

ElBron21

Reaction score
Something I just noticed- you can now buy boots directly from their website, with free shipping.

They're all full priced of course. I wonder if we're gonna start seeing coupons/promotions

I gave my store my email and they send me coupons from time to time. So Im sure there will be something..
Its usually something small and doesnt affect a boot purchase decision for me, but they do send out a $10 off coupon that my store lets me use to just pick up a bottle of boot oil for free since theyre like $8. But in the past years Ive stopped using their oils and bought, in my opinion, better stuff.
I do get %10 coupon emails too
But luckily I get that %15 - %20 anyway, but I live in a small town in Kansas so I dont know what other stores are able to do

iPetronius

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if someone with experience with both of these shoes could lend some insight on this matter. I am a size 9 in Red Wing Beckman boots, and I want to know my size for Wolverine 1Ks to order online. Can anyone give me a comparison or conversion on fit? Thank you!!
I am a 9.5D on a brannock device, and wear a 9D in the beckman and usually take a 9 in the wolverine. You could go with a 8.5 probably, but I find the 1000 mile boots look a little dainty for some reason, and prefer the 9 to the 8.5. They have a rep for making your feet look kind of tiny...

iPetronius

Reaction score
I wanted a dressy boot in black, so last week I had my RW store order the black beckmans and the black brogue rangers in my size..
Went and tried them both on today and I cant decide, they both look awesome
Def cant afford both so Im in debate mode
If you want a dressy black boot that won't kill you financially (e.g Alden's), then the Beckman is a fine way to go. The featherstone leather can also take polish, unlike most other offerings by RW. They are very versatile boots that can be dressed up or down. That said, for the same price as a Beckman you could probably score a relatively new or barely used (or factory second) offering by Tricker's of England, on EBAY, which would be substantially nicer, but that's probably adding more complexity than is necessary here. Regardless, good luck with your decision.

ElBron21

Reaction score

If you want a dressy black boot that won't kill you financially (e.g Alden's), then the Beckman is a fine way to go. The featherstone leather can also take polish, unlike most other offerings by RW. They are very versatile boots that can be dressed up or down. That said, for the same price as a Beckman you could probably score a relatively new or barely used (or factory second) offering by Tricker's of England, on EBAY, which would be substantially nicer, but that's probably adding more complexity than is necessary here. Regardless, good luck with your decision. 

I've never heard of trickers of England before? I'll check em out.
The price issue isn't too big of a deal, I own the jcrew Beckmans and an Alden Indy boot
Its just a tough decision, plus I won the bidding on those red wing jcrew Irish setters on eBay
They should be in tomorrow! I'm very excited to see what they look like in person.
I just hope they don't look basically just like my 877s, bc then I've bought essentially a backup pair (albeit for $200)

ElBron21

Reaction score

They look a lot like my 877s but I definitely dig em

ElBron21

Reaction score

current pic of my 3 year old 3140s

Those are sweet!
NOT my style, but lookin good.
You gonna stick with the same outsole when it's time to get it replaced?
I've been looking at redwing Amsterdam's Instagram and those folks like to customize their outsoles after the factory ones wear out
It's got some ideas in my head about a few of my pairs...
They also like to purposefully not condition their leather too make them look 'cooler' which I hate but whatever.
Here's a pic of some bloak's iron Rangers with the Beckman outsole that I'm considering doing

mr. burns

Reaction score
Choosing not to condition the leather is just plain stupid...

Haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I've thought about getting them resoled with a Vibram 2021 but I'm unsure how durable it is. The Red Wing sole on the 3140s has a layer of really durable rubber which has made them last a pretty long time considering the amount of foot miles I put into them at work. Also thinking of getting some Nicks boots made and keeping the Red Wings as a backup.

ElBron21

Reaction score
Choosing not to condition the leather is just plain stupid...

Haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I've thought about getting them resoled with a Vibram 2021 but I'm unsure how durable it is. The Red Wing sole on the 3140s has a layer of really durable rubber which has made them last a pretty long time considering the amount of foot miles I put into them at work. Also thinking of getting some Nicks boots made and keeping the Red Wings as a backup.
Ive never heard of Nick's boots until now.
Youre kinda blowin my mind..

BootGuy

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Red Wing Heritage Chukkas, size 11

I'm generally a 11.5 in most modern Nikes, and a 11 in dress shoes and Timberlands.

When I have the boot on my foot they feel great, length is good, etc...

But getting the boot on seems to be difficult. They are tight across the bridge of my foot just under the tongue. Do these boots loosen up over time? Should I go up to a larger / wider size? I feel like larger would be too long, but I'm open to buying them in a wide.

mr. burns

Reaction score

Ive never heard of Nick's boots until now.
Youre kinda blowin my mind..

yea, i hadn't heard of them until recently but they make a damn fine boot, comparable if not better than whites.
check out this little video series on their boot making process
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I just picked up a pair of Red Wing Heritage Chukkas, size 11

I'm generally a 11.5 in most modern Nikes, and a 11 in dress shoes and Timberlands.

When I have the boot on my foot they feel great, length is good, etc...

But getting the boot on seems to be difficult. They are tight across the bridge of my foot just under the tongue. Do these boots loosen up over time? Should I go up to a larger / wider size? I feel like larger would be too long, but I'm open to buying them in a wide.

not going to give sizing advice because i don't want to be responsible if i give bad advice :p
but, my boots were a little tight on the bridge and definitely tight in the width for a while until they really stretched out and they take a while to stretch out because the leather is pretty stiff. for a little while i wondered if i got my sizing wrong but i'm glad i sized the way i did because they're perfect now and i've been wearing them pretty much daily for about 3 years now and they seem to get better every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics