• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten their red wing resoled? I bought a pair of 8138 that were used a bit, his posture must be way different than mine because my soles wear down opposite of what his do. They are my favorite boots so I was thinking of dropping the $60 and getting them resoled. I found a few places on the internet that do them by mail; theres a few local cobblers and I was thinking of maybe brining the boots in and feeling them out, if they don't seem to have resoled red wings before i might just do them over the internet.

ataru

Reaction score
I just bought and returned a pair of those chukkas from revolve. I went with my usual shoe size (also my jack purcell size) and they seemed to fit well, but they looked huge on my feet. I think sizing down 1/2 would be a good idea, but there would probably be a lot of initial discomfort.

I didn't think about them too much as they had a stitching defect and on closer examination didn't really fit my style.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I had RW chukkas in my reg RW size (one down from purcell, but EE width), but in a D stupidly enough. They fit small as hell compared to other RWs and could not be worn. For me, a half size up and a much wider width might have done it. So, half down from Purcells, in the right width, sounds reasonable.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
That's reassuring. Seriously, thank you. I'd rather go larger than smaller because it's obviously a bit easier to adjust (which was why I was considering going my usual size) but this definitely makes things easier. I'll stick to a half down.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I remembered after I had placed my order that I had seen the chukkas in person back in Jan. The color is more accurate here than some of the other photos I've seen online:
img8016.jpg
img8013.jpg

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally made my way over to the Red-Wing store in Culver City last night and tried on the GTs. The 10.5s were slightly too big (my heel, I swear, slid up an inch when walking around. I smell a blister...) and the 10s were too small (couldn't get my foot in).
frown.gif

Honestly, though? I actually prefer the feel of Dr. Martens over these.. Might have to check out a pair of Vintage or Solovair...

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
should i purchase the red wing x jcrew in the same size as my clarks dbs?

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
They will be slightly bigger than DB from my experience, perhaps a quarter inch or so (I have 2 RW x J Crew boots.)

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huffer4
Got these on the weekend in Chicago.

Just curious what size do you wear? I bought the same boots in 10.5 in the LA store which are a little big for me and the leather is nice and smooth looking like yours. The size 10 for some reason just didn't look as good, the leather looked different so I'm torn about sizing down. Maybe they were from different manufacturing plants or something I dunno.

huffer4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Just curious what size do you wear? I bought the same boots in 10.5 in the LA store which are a little big for me and the leather is nice and smooth looking like yours. The size 10 for some reason just didn't look as good, the leather looked different so I'm torn about sizing down. Maybe they were from different manufacturing plants or something I dunno.

They are a 9.5. All the ones I saw in the store were the same texture. It may have just been a bad piece for the one pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads