1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

2. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

^^I had RW chukkas in my reg RW size (one down from purcell, but EE width), but in a D stupidly enough. They fit small as hell compared to other RWs and could not be worn. For me, a half size up and a much wider width might have done it. So, half down from Purcells, in the right width, sounds reasonable.

3. whodini

That's reassuring. Seriously, thank you. I'd rather go larger than smaller because it's obviously a bit easier to adjust (which was why I was considering going my usual size) but this definitely makes things easier. I'll stick to a half down.

4. whodini

I remembered after I had placed my order that I had seen the chukkas in person back in Jan. The color is more accurate here than some of the other photos I've seen online: [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Well-Known Member

Finally made my way over to the Red-Wing store in Culver City last night and tried on the GTs. The 10.5s were slightly too big (my heel, I swear, slid up an inch when walking around. I smell a blister...) and the 10s were too small (couldn't get my foot in). [​IMG]

Honestly, though? I actually prefer the feel of Dr. Martens over these.. Might have to check out a pair of Vintage or Solovair...

6. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

should i purchase the red wing x jcrew in the same size as my clarks dbs?

7. huffer4

huffer4 Active Member

Got these on the weekend in Chicago.

[​IMG]

8. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Well-Known Member

They will be slightly bigger than DB from my experience, perhaps a quarter inch or so (I have 2 RW x J Crew boots.)

9. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Well-Known Member

Got these on the weekend in Chicago.

Just curious what size do you wear? I bought the same boots in 10.5 in the LA store which are a little big for me and the leather is nice and smooth looking like yours. The size 10 for some reason just didn't look as good, the leather looked different so I'm torn about sizing down. Maybe they were from different manufacturing plants or something I dunno.

10. huffer4

huffer4 Active Member

Just curious what size do you wear? I bought the same boots in 10.5 in the LA store which are a little big for me and the leather is nice and smooth looking like yours. The size 10 for some reason just didn't look as good, the leather looked different so I'm torn about sizing down. Maybe they were from different manufacturing plants or something I dunno.

They are a 9.5. All the ones I saw in the store were the same texture. It may have just been a bad piece for the one pair.

11. WE350B

WE350B Well-Known Member

should i purchase the red wing x jcrew in the same size as my clarks dbs?

Yes. I'm usually a 9, sometimes a 9.5, and I wear an 8.5 for my RW X JCrew and both my DB's. The RW will still feel very slightly larger than the DB because they are work boots meant to be worn with thicker socks, after all (which I don't do BTW).

12. randomkoreandude

doesnt that mean i should size down to size 8?

13. captainmo

captainmo Well-Known Member

If you aren't sure about sizing you could order a couple pairs from zappos of other red wings (the 'classic lifestyle') is pretty similar to the jcrew x RW, and find your sizing that way - free shipping both ways. Or you could go to a RW store if there's one near you.

I ordered a pair of 8.5s from Zappos and will be ordering a pair of 8s from jcrew, assuming they have some kind of return policy in case I need to go down to 7.5.

14. sharks9022

sharks9022 Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the elastic

15. randomkoreandude

the zappos idea is pretty good

^ not a huge fan of what elastic?

16. randomkoreandude

and im actually looking to purchase one of the jcrew x red wings off of ebay cuz they are really cheap ... anyone have any experience or horror stories about them?

they are authentic but are marked on the sole for no returns. and no box with most of htem on there but they have most of the sizes at pretty cheap prices

17. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

doesnt that mean i should size down to size 8?

I take a solid 10 in Desert boots and Desert Treks. I'd take a 9.5 in almost any Red Wing boot. We sell Thorogood boots in the store - which have a similar shaped last - and nearly every customer sizes down one half. If you take an 8.5 in DB's, then I'd say you're very safe with an 8 in Red Wings.

18. huffer4

huffer4 Active Member

I don't have any Desert boots, but I know I they are the same size as my Chucks, if that helps for reference.

19. randomkoreandude

I take a solid 10 in Desert boots and Desert Treks. I'd take a 9.5 in almost any Red Wing boot. We sell Thorogood boots in the store - which have a similar shaped last - and nearly every customer sizes down one half. If you take an 8.5 in DB's, then I'd say you're very safe with an 8 in Red Wings.

again epualet you are amazingly helpful. i loved your thorogood boots by the way. i was actually deciding between 1000 mile wolverines, your thorogood, and red wing x jcrew. am prolly leaning towards the RWs because of their price on ebay.

but i cant wait for your flannels!!!

20. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

I remembered after I had placed my order that I had seen the chukkas in person back in Jan. The color is more accurate here than some of the other photos I've seen online:

Hey whodini - Did you ever pick a pair of the Chukka's then? I'm a size 8.5 in Chucks and Clarks and recently purchsaed a pait of the Briar Oil Slicks in an 8D and 8.5D and the 8.5D actually worked out better so the 8D's are going back. They didn't have the wider widths available though or I imagine the 8EE's would also have worked. The 8.5D's also allow me to get away with thicker socks for the upcoming winter. I could have done it in the 8D's, but it was too umcomfortable from jump and I picturted them staying that way even after a break in period.