• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend some great bar soaps!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
BTW, get a bottle of Dr Bronners liquid Peppermint Soap and buy a Japanese Nylon Washcloth. The combination lathers up so well that all you'll need is a nickel sized amount of soap to get clean. http://www.amazon.com/Salux-Leyjie-N.../dp/B000CSDDDG . It'll take months to go through an entire bottle.

I love that clean peppermint scent as well.

That stuff is so concentrated...I used it for everything except toothpaste (though I think you can do that too) when I was backpacking through Europe and when my small bottle leaked, it made a nasty mess. Everything was super minty and soapy. Good thing it works as laundry detergent too

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I really like the feeling of Dr. Bronner's peppermint tingling on my balls in the summertime (0) You've never had a more refreshing shower, I guarantee it.

BTW, get a bottle of Dr Bronners liquid Peppermint Soap and buy a Japanese Nylon Washcloth. The combination lathers up so well that all you'll need is a nickel sized amount of soap to get clean. http://www.amazon.com/Salux-Leyjie-N.../dp/B000CSDDDG . It'll take months to go through an entire bottle.

I love that clean peppermint scent as well.

best recommendation ever.

took a shower today after some bballing with these exact products and damn. in love. feel so squeaky clean
inlove.gif

bmf895

Reaction score
I'll echo the Dr. Bronner's recommendation. But be warned that it is super concentrated and can be overly drying if you don't dilute it. I find a 1:1 soap to water ratio + loufa to be the sweet spot. A 32 oz bottle will last you many months. It's a great value.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
interesting

i know ppl said a nickle worth of it is fine, but i pumped a few times into my exfoliating towel and i came out pretty ok. i dont feel like it was too drying. shoulda bought a bigger bottle tho. going to be using this for a long time

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
best recommendation ever.

took a shower today after some bballing with these exact products and damn. in love. feel so squeaky clean
inlove.gif

I got the washcloth now but I have a hard time keeping it lathered- like halfway through the shower I have to put more soap on. I have a really small stall-sized shower so it is difficult to keep the thing from getting wet at all.. maybe I just need to use more soap. I was really looking forward to only using a nickel-sized amount and stretching a bottle out forever.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
I got the washcloth now but I have a hard time keeping it lathered- like halfway through the shower I have to put more soap on. I have a really small stall-sized shower so it is difficult to keep the thing from getting wet at all.. maybe I just need to use more soap. I was really looking forward to only using a nickel-sized amount and stretching a bottle out forever.
Get the washcloth completely wet before applying the soap. Put the soap in the middle of the washcloth. Scrunch the washcloth into a ball and rub it on your chest to start the lathering. I can't believe this chick can go on for 8 minutes talking about the cloth, but for some reason she's fascinating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqN1o...ailpage#t=263s

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Get the washcloth completely wet before applying the soap. Put the soap in the middle of the washcloth. Scrunch the washcloth into a ball and rub it on your chest to start the lathering.

I can't believe this chick can go on for 8 minutes talking about the cloth, but for some reason she's fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqN1o...ailpage#t=263s

I know exactly why her video is fascinating- I just imagine her in the shower for the entire 8 minutes. Very cute, even if she doesn't know how fractions work..
rolleyes.gif

insomb

Reaction score
Musgo Real is my favorite, but I like the smell of whole foods Vetiver/Cedar in the winter.

turboman808

Reaction score
I know I know I am bringing this back from the dead. Been trying alot of different soaps over the last year. Still have to say Caswell Black Onyx is my favorite. Slightly soothing but the aroma is out of this world.

I think someone at some point suggested Herban Cowboy which is far and away the most god awful one I tried. Dried out my skin and it was just an overpowering smell.

One of the more interesting ones I have tried lately I got at Wholefoods and was called African Black Soap. Didn't really have any odor but the feel and the way it left your skin was just terrific. I would highly recommend this one!!!

I never got around to using Dr Bronners. I just didn't like the smell. I guess there are very few I actually enjoy the aroma.

Anyways I never got around to trying any Molton Brown products. I just got finished ordering a couple of their soaps and hope to find something I like.

Later

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some Aesop soap. The bar is huge. Chopped it in half, will take a few showers until the sharpness edges out i guess. smell is pretty nice, I haven't showered with it. Bergamont Rind, Ylang Ylang and Tahitian lime. smell is great, something you would find in a high end, modern/minimalist hotel. we'll see how it holds up to a bunch of showers.

20ebfb5681e711e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

also picked up the Baxter x Saturday Surf bar soap ("Atlantic") but it'll be a while until I get to try it out.

Last edited:

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Anyone tried African Black Soap? I bought some on Amazon, suppose to do a whole bunch of great stuff, but IMO its just a soap. Good thing about it is that it lathers very easily. There is ash in there also so you dont need to use a scrub to exfoliate your skin your hand will do. After 3 bars I have gone back to using Pre De Provence soap though, they smell great.

Wouldent you want to wash yourself with a brown soap called DuDu?

Last edited:

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The aesop actually doesn't have much of a smell. I like the way it feels in the shower though, not slimy, very little sud action. very clean.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a bar of Claus Porto after reading about them in the April Monocle magazine. Probably going to be a while until I actually use it though as this aesop is going to last a while. Its a big bar and expensive at $17 (although much cheaper than soaps from fragrance houses).

this is the one, I bought it locally though at a specialty wine/soap/etc store:

http://www.amazon.com/Claus-Porto-Acacia-Tuberose-12-34/dp/B0013G6XMY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads