• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend running shoes

miamimc

Reaction score
I would also echo the recommendation of going to a specialty running store and getting fitted with the right shoe for you foot/gait type. That being said, if you want to stick with Nike, the only Nike shoes suitable for (serious) running belong to the Nike Bowerman Series. This line is dedicated for running shoes and you'll find it primarily in specialty running stores.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the Mizuno Prophecys will be and if they are 'for me' as I over-pronate slightly. Currently use their Wave Inspire which I love after have used Asics Kayanos for ages.

Mizuno-Wave-Prophecy.jpg

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Vibram Five Fingers. Got my first pair and they are doing great things for my body. Search google to read about people's claims of them fixing their back, knees, and toes.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imo Nike's kinda suck, I ran with free's for the past 2-3 years before branching out, recently picked up the Saucony Kinvara 2's and will never be going back, absolutley amazing, find soem and try them.

shawmutt

Reaction score
No one cares if you're stylish while panting and sweating on the road. Worry about fit and function first, don't worry about the looks of the shoe.

As far as the barefoot running movement, the jury's out--it's something everyone has to try to see if it works for them. Don't let people with The Answer try to convince you one way or another. For me, I have flat wide feet and wear Asics EEE. At 195 lbs, if I tried to run barefoot I'd grind my knees and ankles to nothing.

If you want to read more than you have to about the barefoot running movement, check out this blog: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4185

Toro

Reaction score
Nike Lunarglide. I used to run with New Balance but I like the Lunarglide better because it feels to have better shock resistant and less clunky.

einfallsloserName123

Reaction score
I always wanted to have Nike Free shoes, because I like the barefoot running feeling, but at the moment, I can't be bothered to pay 100+€ on running shoes. Has somebody tried to run with Feiyue shoes? They are made for Kung Fu and similar stuff, have a thin, elastic sole and are quite cheap. Do they last long? Are there big differences between the Chinese and the other ones, when it comes to running?

thanks!

edit: How is the sizing with these shoes?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Nike Frees and I like them a lot. I went to a running store and ended up with Nike Vomeros which I like only a little.

belvedere312

Reaction score
Best Idea to get an older version in sale. The changes between the new and the older version of running shoes are minimal. I got myself a pair of Mizuno Propehcy 3 this past week-end for only $100 (orig price $209.99). They are great running shoes, high quality.

Armand

Reaction score
I've had great luck with the Nike Free 5.0.

For years I've be doing 0mm drop Merrells and 4mm drop New Balance. Tried the Nike Free 5.0 on a whim and they worked out great.

However about 7 months ago I picked up a pair of Flyknits based upon all the praise in the press. They are overrated. I still prefer the Nike Free.

Last edited:

sajesak

Reaction score
I'm struck by the OP's original criterion that the shoes be stylish. Not sure what the real issues are here (being a better runner and taking care of your body and avoiding injuries versus looking good.) If you're only running 15 miles a week, and have no intention of building mileage, I'm not sure that the Shox will do significant harm. (Though my daughter - who was a Division 1 track/cross country runner - basically characterizes these as the sort of shoes that trendy sorority girls wear in health clubs and that serious runners eschew.) Recommendation about going to a store that caters to 'real' runners is spot on if you're looking to get serious about adding mileage and accommodating the quirks of your height/weight/feet/running style. If Nike is still appropriate, I've had relatively positive experiences with their Vomero model or with Asics Gel Cumulus. If, on the other hand, you want to get into more of the chi running/forefoot/midfoot strike stuff got from here pickleshoesreview, you'll probably wind up spending more $ and going with something like Newton Running.
Hi! The Appointee Booklet states, "Athletic style shoes are mandatory. Appointees MUST bring athletic style shoes that are serviceable, in good condition and do not have excessive ornamentation. The athletic shoe must be white, black, or grey in color. The shoe’s primary purpose must be for running (no basketball shoes, cleats, etc.). If the Appointee does not bring an approved athletic shoe, they will be required to purchase a pair upon arrival. Limited options and supply must be taken into consideration. Suggest shoes be less than a year old." With this being said, does anyone have experiences and recommendations for running athletic shoes in terms of comfort/performance/etc? Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads