• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommend a new pair of loafers

BBC

Reaction score
Just a piece of advice, several of the guys on the Trad Forum at AAAC have already purchased the Aurlands and wrote reviews. The general consensus is that these are very rustic loafers pretty much just for hanging around the house.

Here's a quote from one of the reviewers: "Okay...I received the shoes today. I don't know what to say. They're exactly what I expected, but also not what I expected. Perhaps the single best word to describe these shoes is "rustic". They truly are "peasant shoes" and I can easily imagine local craftsmen putting them together for wealthy visitors to wear during their month-long fishing trips or whatnot (as the legend goes). They're certainly "no frill" shoes, but also extremely robust."

Here's another reviewer: "Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. The leather from which the shoe is crafted is plesantly substantial and yet the heft of the shoe is suprisingly light. It has a, not unattractive, light tan, natural grain finish, that I am inclined to darken a bit, and a skin stitched strapp. The shoes are unlined, which contributes to their lightness and they have a full leather insole. Perhaps the most suprising aspect of the shoe is the sole. I ordered the optional leather sole. It is approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the thickness of the single oak soles on a pair of Alden LHS's or "Bass Weejuns" (or approximately 1/8" thick) and as "Lucky Strike" cautioned in an earlier post, it is presently "as stiff as a board!" The heel is all leather construction as well. This adds up to some rather "iffy" footing on almost any type of walking surface, at least initially. In retrospect I would be inclined to go with the rubber sole and heel options to improve the footing and provide a more robust sole, at least in terms of visual impact. Perhaps the most suprising outcome, considering the communications breakdowns experienced is, the fit of the shoes is perfect...which is good because the Company does not accept returns!

In summary, I think the label on the box describes the shoes best..."The Original Aurland Cabin Shoe". Based on fit, feel, and overall appearance, the Aurland shoe is a rustically designed, quite nicely made house shoe/slipper! While I am sure I will enjoy wearing mine and am quite satisfied with the product recieved, given the price paid, I am inclined to question the assertion that "they reputedly last a generation or two"...that may be a stretch!"

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBC
Just a piece of advice, several of the guys on the Trad Forum at AAAC have already purchased the Aurlands and wrote reviews. The general consensus is that these are very rustic loafers pretty much just for hanging around the house.

Here's a quote from one of the reviewers: "Okay...I received the shoes today. I don't know what to say. They're exactly what I expected, but also not what I expected. Perhaps the single best word to describe these shoes is "rustic". They truly are "peasant shoes" and I can easily imagine local craftsmen putting them together for wealthy visitors to wear during their month-long fishing trips or whatnot (as the legend goes). They're certainly "no frill" shoes, but also extremely robust."

Here's another reviewer: "Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. The leather from which the shoe is crafted is plesantly substantial and yet the heft of the shoe is suprisingly light. It has a, not unattractive, light tan, natural grain finish, that I am inclined to darken a bit, and a skin stitched strapp. The shoes are unlined, which contributes to their lightness and they have a full leather insole. Perhaps the most suprising aspect of the shoe is the sole. I ordered the optional leather sole. It is approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the thickness of the single oak soles on a pair of Alden LHS's or "Bass Weejuns" (or approximately 1/8" thick) and as "Lucky Strike" cautioned in an earlier post, it is presently "as stiff as a board!" The heel is all leather construction as well. This adds up to some rather "iffy" footing on almost any type of walking surface, at least initially. In retrospect I would be inclined to go with the rubber sole and heel options to improve the footing and provide a more robust sole, at least in terms of visual impact. Perhaps the most suprising outcome, considering the communications breakdowns experienced is, the fit of the shoes is perfect...which is good because the Company does not accept returns!

In summary, I think the label on the box describes the shoes best..."The Original Aurland Cabin Shoe". Based on fit, feel, and overall appearance, the Aurland shoe is a rustically designed, quite nicely made house shoe/slipper! While I am sure I will enjoy wearing mine and am quite satisfied with the product recieved, given the price paid, I am inclined to question the assertion that "they reputedly last a generation or two"...that may be a stretch!"

Blast!!
ffffuuuu.gif

Thanks for the heads up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads