• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Well...no.
A F/W 2001 collection would have been shown a year before and released months before 9/11.
Also all the patches are Bauhaus, Joy Division, Bowie and other music poster pills...not anarchist political scribblings.
http://skelemitz.wordpress.com/2009/...imons-aw-2001/

S/S 02 maybe you could draw more of a political or terrorist vibe. Also I just called it a terrorist scarf because I can't spell keyeiffa.

http://www.fashionwindows.com/runway...ns/rfMS021.asp

lol pwnt

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
S/S 02 is the more popular season and the one more likely to sport a 'terrorist' scarf, so you can see my confusion. I didn't know those patches were music related, not what you'd think at first glance.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig the Raf gutter punk stuff, moreso then a lot of his other collections. Wish I had copped a grungy, patched-up backpack when I had the chance.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

laugh.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Ah right, that would explain the terrorist part, yes that collection was appropriately political considering what had just occured and nobody can blame him for feeling so inclined.

I wonder if Raf Simons had anything to do with the explosion of popularity in the Kefiyah, I hope not.

You really should STFU about stuff you know nothing about. Really.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.jpg

Originally Posted by PinkPantser
That scarf sucks so much.
Agreed.

Well...no.
A F/W 2001 collection would have been shown a year before and released months before 9/11.
Also all the patches are Bauhaus, Joy Division, Bowie and other music poster bills...not anarchist political scribblings.
http://skelemitz.wordpress.com/2009/...imons-aw-2001/

S/S 02 maybe you could draw more of a political or terrorist vibe. Also I just called it a terrorist scarf because I can't spell keyeiffa.

http://www.fashionwindows.com/runway...ns/rfMS021.asp

I hate having to agree with Xeno, but I have an aversion to designers making overt political statements. Designers are usually good at making nice clothes, but fashion with political ambition usually veers into the silly. Maybe not surprisingly, designers themselves seem pretty divided on this. I gotta side with Hedi Slimane, Jil Sander (who is perhaps one of the most intelligent designers, has great commentary on this), and Jean Touitou, who think either that fashion is apolitical (Touitou is nearly irrationally against politics in fashion), or have a more nuanced view that essentially boils down to "It is political insofar as political inclinations may color our creative processes. But otherwise, no." Raf Simons, Karl Lagerfeld (who makes stupid comments on how much he hates globalization, and Carol Christian Poell (whose high school philosophy teacher ought to have struck him repeatedly upside the head), think otherwise.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I dig the Raf gutter punk stuff, moreso then a lot of his other collections. Wish I had copped a grungy, patched-up backpack when I had the chance.

You would have been sorta young to have been buying Raf Simons in 2001... I know my mom would have been like "FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You would have been sorta young to have been buying Raf Simons in 2001... I know my mom would have been like "FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Haha, I had a real safety-pinned punk jansport back in the day. I was talking about like a year and a half ago when one popped up on yoox or some place though.

While designers can make some maddeningly silly political comments I don't think it's quite fair to lump Poell in with them. In one of his rare interviews (some german magazine I think) he comes off very measured and insightful and doesn't make any bold political comments.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Haha, I had a real safety-pinned punk jansport back in the day. I was talking about like a year and a half ago when one popped up on yoox or some place though.

While designers can make some maddeningly silly political comments I don't think it's quite fair to lump Poell in with them. In one of his rare interviews (some german magazine I think) he comes off very measured and insightful and doesn't make any bold political comments.

His customers...err I mean his fanboys on StyleZeitgeist on the other hand are probably think otherwise about CCP and themselves.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also all the patches are Bauhaus, Joy Division, Bowie and other music poster bills...not anarchist political scribblings.

Yes, and that was clear (to me at least) by looking at it. 80's punk DYI style. I don't see the problem with the scarf at all. I like it. Send it to me it you get tired of it.

I figured that you were being a bit cheeky by calling it a terrorist scarf because that is obviously not what it is. Unless Joy Division is now part of Al Qaida.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Re. Poell

From Taschen's "Fashion Now" (2003):

Q: What's your ultimate goal?
A: To continue

Q: What inspires you?
A: Problems

Q: Can fashion still have a political ambition?
A: If political means power and money, yes.
And it goes on. Granted, the questions are remarkably stupid (fashion journalism fail), but the deliberately terse and cryptic answers make him sound (imo) like a twat who wants to give the illusion that he has lots of depth.

I'll give you that he doesn't come off sounding nearly as stupid as Lagerfeld and others though, who come off as not so bright, but very earnest, teenagers.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Re. Poell
Yeah, that is a little much. I can't help but think it's somewhat deliberate on Poell's part (his famous exclusiveness peaking through, or even just translation awkwardness. Here's the article I'm referring too: http://www.art-magazin.de/design/125..._junges_design (in German) And a translation, courtesy of Merz on SZ: http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=8 This bit resonated really strongly with me: Even back then Poell, whose grandfather was already in the leather crafts, had a inclination to the bizarre, fixed stitches with tape instead of yarn, processed horse skin until it was transparent and coloured leather with ox blood to "give back taken life"

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CLOTHES SHOULD SPEAK TO YOU AND COMMUNICATE A SENSIBILITY. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO HAVE AS A FASHION DESIGNER IS YOUR OWN POINT OF VIEW.

I PREFER THE APPROACH OF AN INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER FOCUSING ON SINGLE TAILORED PIECES, FABRIC ANALYSIS AND HOW TEXTURE RELATES TO FORM.

ALL MY COLLECTIONS MARK ME.

I LIKE TRADITION; IT IS OUR HERITAGE OF THE KNOWLEDGE FROM THE PAST. SUBCONSCIOUSLY MY ORIGINS INFLUENCE ME, BUT IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY HOW OR WHERE. ONE IS INFLUENCED BY SO MANY THINGS. I PREFER NOT TO ANALYSE MYSELF, I FIND FABRICS ARE MORE INTERESTING. FABRIC ALWAYS COMES FIRST.

I DO NOT SEE THE POINT OF PARTICIPATING IN THE "žGLAMOURIZATION" OF FASHION DESIGNERS, IF YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE THAT, YOU ARE BETTER OFF BECOMING A POP STAR.

I PREFER NOT TO PRESENT MY CLOTHES IN A SHOW BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GARMENTS. A SHOW MEANS THEATRE AND TAKES THE ATTENTION AWAY. HOWEVER SOMETIMES THE ATMOSPHERE AND STRENGTH OF CERTAIN SPACES COMPLEMENT WHAT I TRY TO EXPRESS LIKE THE PRESENTATIONS IN THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE, THE ANIMAL SHELTER OR THE ESCAPE FROM OUR OFFICE.

FASHION MAGAZINES MIRROR OUR TIMES AND ARE MAINLY ABOUT PUBLICITY.
FASHION IN GARMENT HAS LOST MEANING AND SOCIAL REFERENCE.
IT HAS BECOME SUPERFICIAL AND IS MOSTLY ABOUT SELFCELEBRATION, STYLING AND MAKING MONEY.

ONE USES THE WORD "žAVANT-GARDE" TOO EASILY. "žAVANT-GARDE" IS ADVANCED AND INDIVIDUAL THINKING. THE EXACT TRANSLATION FROM FRENCH MEANS "žBEFORE THE CROWD OR THE MASS", THEREFORE IT CAN NEVER BE TRENDY NOR FASHIONABLE.
here is another interview...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads