• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
non-clothing recent purchase:

tumblr_o98lcct65l1r8bgano1_1280.jpg

1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D

Photo was taken right after purchase, prior to any wash or anything else so the car is a bit dirty and paint is looking a little dull. It's a bit of a restoration project but also a totally decent daily driver in its current state. Seats & dash are in excellent condition though some of the other interior upholstery is a bit worn. Paint is not original, nor are the wheels/hubcaps, but the car came with the original Bundt wheels as well, which I will likely swap back on once I've had them refinished. Prior owner tinted the windows, which I'm on the fence about since the look isn't quite right for this car but the benefits in southern California are indisputable. Car has about 180k miles on it, so I can drive it and mess around with it without feeling bad but it's not one of those 300k+ examples that need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up either.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Cake batter/plaster GATS are one of my favorite purchases of the season

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@StanleyVanBuren , good luck with the resto project. You might want to pop into the 'cars discount' thread because a few people are working on cool projects in there and might be able to help with DIY stuff.

I hope you don't have electrical gremlins!

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
Stanley.

You should check out Kent Bergsma or "Mercedessource" channel on youtube. Informative and zen at the same time:)

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
@StanleyVanBuren , good luck with the resto project. You might want to pop into the 'cars discount' thread because a few people are working on cool projects in there and might be able to help with DIY stuff.

I hope you don't have electrical gremlins!

Thanks! So far, so good. Prior owner was pretty on top of basic maintenance but seemed to mostly drive around town and never took it to the next step. I do a lot more freeway driving and we want to take it on road trips, so the biggest thing it needs for now is a complete suspension overhaul. Luckily he took care of everything else it's needed in order to be reliable mechanically and electronically, at least. I've been driving it all week and the engine stays cool in traffic, AC blows extra cold, and yeah all the electrics seem to be fine. Vacuum is a big deal on these cars, since everything including stuff like shift points and door locks is run off it, so vacuum leaks will likely be the biggest headache if and when they pop up.

Once I feel confident that any mechanical issues have been addressed, I'm going to look for stuff like euro headlights and bumpers, then address the worn parts of the interior, and ultimately get it repainted at some point. The car was originally gold, and I like the current color, but apparently the guy pulled it out of the Toyota/Lexus book plus it was a $1800 paint job from a few years ago that's already starting to show its age. I'm partial to the Mercedes citrus green, but who knows what my preference will be once I actually get around to it. Paint will probably be the last thing. For now, I kind of like the idea of driving it wherever I want (dirt trails, etc) without having to worry. Some guy with an old Porsche 356 recently did the trail from the desert near Joshua Tree up to Big Bear so I figure if he can make it, this car probably can as well.

Anyway, I'll probably do some fun photo shoots with it at some point, a la vintage SVB style, so you guys will probably see some progress as I go along.

Stanley.

You should check out Kent Bergsma or "Mercedessource" channel on youtube. Informative and zen at the same time:)

Oh man, there goes the rest of my afternoon...

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score
Euro bumpers will be a huge lift. I think the color looks great and if it drives good as is, i think making a list of the most critical stuff and tackle it in stages. W123 has always been a passion and I've owned several and the ride is probably the most important aspect of that line of cars. Sort that first and it will be a lot more enjoyable on longer trips. The 240 and 300d are great for just slowing down the pace and enjoying the ride. How do you find the gearing for highway cruising?
Damn.... Now I want another one:D:slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads