• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I wear light colored footwear, but it's generally well done.  Re. placement of the zippers - aesthetic preferences aside, I find that outside zippers are easier to use.  Seriously though, a pretty darn good sneaker for $125.  The midsole has the same stitching as the Ann D version.  If it was a designer collab, they'd sell the thing for $300.  I think that the "70s" Converse is generally considerably nicer than the standard issue.  Marginal quality differences being marginal, I like the contour of the slightlly wider sidewalls.

Are those converse still available somewhere? Have kind of wanted some lighter colored footwear lately and those are really nice (I'm a sz 43 if that makes any difference)

Damn, wish I could find the lighter ones in an 11.5. I'd pretty much given up on chucks, but those look nice.

edit:

Also, because I'm boring, picked up an RRL workshirt I'd regretted missing out on:

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

They run sorta large, so, these in a size 11 may fit you.  Or not:

http://www.converse.com/regular/converse-all-star-chuck-'70-zip-suede/148879C_090.html

I recently got re-interested in Chucks, but typically, the non-standard, suede versions,

Unless they run larger than regular Chucks, which already run a half size large IME, I don't think I can hack an 11. Thanks for the link, though. Part of me is surprised they're selling them directly on the Converse web site.

Komuga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Classified_ Cos and Reiss are exactly like Zara and Allsaints, and i thought you were trying to get away from them? Also River Island and Topman are the same exact thing aswell.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

@Classified_
 Cos and Reiss are exactly like Zara and Allsaints, and i thought you were trying to get away from them? Also River Island and Topman are the same exact thing aswell.

I think of COS as being more basic than Allsaints and less ****** than Zara. I have a couple of oversized silk blend tanks from them that i really like.

Classified_

Reaction score

@Classified_
 Cos and Reiss are exactly like Zara and Allsaints, and i thought you were trying to get away from them? Also River Island and Topman are the same exact thing aswell.

COS is pretty basic, true, but I only bought one piece because it has silk and linen, I don't usually bother with them much, but they do decent basics.

About Reiss, again proportions, I only have a few shirts and I think you have it all wrong dude. Reiss quality is much higher than Zara and All Saints, it's a high street brand but one of the better ones most items are produced in Europe (Portugal especially) and not produced in millions like Zara as it's mostly a UK brand and not global so production is of higher quality.

Reiss = River Island and Topman? Seriously? I think you need to do some more research bro, not trying to be harsh but saying that Reiss is in that level is a bit...

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna buy those grey ones. Damn you Fok!

(seriously, they look so nice)
White, or what is silly-ly called "vaporous grey", seriously, is the way to go.

About 5% of my "job" such that it is, is to go seek out cool stuff. It's one of the best parts of this so-called career. Worst part is probably figuring out taxes, unemployment insurance, etc...

redc2

Reaction score
I checked out yoox and read the reviews on yoox. It seemed a bit horrendous so having been thinking of giving it a miss. Is it worth chancing I get the impression if clothes don't fit/work out you are a bit of trouble getting your money back etc. Or maybe it's just the people who had bad experience that comment while the good scenarios don't bother.

I used to when I began building up a more informal wardrobe. Have since branched out to other online stores, mostly matchesfashion and stylebop. Also The Corner and (last year, not so much now) Alexander Wang's own Web store, but then those are both Yoox again. Mr Porter a few times whenever they had sales. Plus one-time orders (so far) with East Dane, fwrd, Barneys, jades24, breuninger, civiconove, cloth and a couple of others.

Having said that I estimate Yoox still accounts for about 70 per cent of my online shopping, maybe more. Prices aside the logistics of Yoox have been, let me put it this way, the least bad. (UPS is fairly reliable where I live.) Sometimes it's also to do with specific labels - I have been working myself into a bit of a Ann Demeulemeester frenzy for instance. Considering that post-Ann-Demeulemeester Ann Demeulemeester has been fairly disappointing, I figure Yoox right now is maybe the last chance to grab some items that she designed herself.

I tried on a MMM summer coat a few weeks ago in a local MMM store and nearly bought it, which would have made it my first major brick-and-mortar purchase in a very long time, but I guess Yoox has corrupted me. Who wants to spend 1k on a polyester coat when it might end up on Yoox a year later for 250...?

redc2

Reaction score

@Classified_

I think Zara is a good place to start for someone just getting into fashion. Sometimes wearing certain styles away from the regular is uncomfortable and at the least the clothes at Zara is cheap and it don't matter too much if you don't end up wearing it or if you have to throw it away after a wash or two. It can also kind of help discover a person's preference in clothing. Best to move on from Zara ASAP though. As for river island and topman it just not worth going there full stop.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads