• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random food thoughts - Street edition

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I switched from a jug type to an immersion blender when my last jug died and find the immersion a lot handier.

I don't really follow recipes with soups, just make it up as I go. Mushroom soup is a mainstay - onion and garlic softened in butter, mushrooms cooked down with a little olive oil, vegetable stock, parsley and a splash of cream to finish. Stilton & Broccoli is always good at this time of year - sweated onion cooked, broccoli cooked in a little vegetable stock (retain some stock for blending), melt in some roughly chopped Stilton (don't need masses) - the supermarkets always seem to reduce Stilton after Christmas. Home made Houmous, butter bean based dips etc.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend took me to a 19 course tasting menu at Aska for my birthday. I put all of the images in an album

I have been to a couple tasting menu/michelen starred spots in NYC so I have a few points of comparison. I would say that the experience was somewhat comparable to a fancy omakase spot, which is to say, very seafood heavy, lots of coaxing subtle flavors out of the ingredients, and a few things falling into that "kind of weird, not sure if i like it, but very cool" field. You definitely got a sense of the New Nordic "thing, maybe pickled, maybe raw, maybe lightly cooked, in a deeply roasted sauce of that thing". Whole thing took 4.5 hours after we asked them to pause the menu halfway through because we were getting kind of full (don't pair heavy beer with long tasting menus, no matter how good that beer is). My preferences trend away from lots of seafood and towards more vegetables (i'm a vegetarian most of the time, but I eat meat/fish occasionally), so I was super into the vegetable preparations and while I enjoyed the seafood dishes, it wasn't orgasmic (my girlfriend, who loves seafood, and shellfish in particular, said it was the best meal she'd ever had, so the experience was worth it if for that).

Last edited:

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THEY BROUGHT BACK WAFFLE TENDERS!!!

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
@willy cheesesteak burger king bought out popeyes for $1.8B. whatever shall we do T_T??!?!

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
cost of food and labor has gone up a lot in ny. restaurants often operate on small margins, so additional overhead generally gets charged to the customer. that being said, i wouldn't be surprised if they raised prices to standardize it and fund their expansion.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has a rec for roasted thai chilli sauce? Like this?

nam_prik_pao_jeh_recipe_finished.jpg

I've been using The Abyss with noodles and it's delicious, but it's somewhat expensive and I go through it quickly.

http://www.darkheartchilisauce.com/shop/the-abyss

Looking for something like those dark, roasted chili sauces you find on the side at thai and vietnamese restaurants. Has to be very spicy though and can't have shrimp.

Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads