• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just a person (in this case a young person) who doesn't have a lot of money. Often used a little tongue in cheek, like someone has a struggle version of some expensive jacket, but also sometimes used judgmentally about someone's ability to buy expensive things.
So, essentially, it's the price you pay for going to dim sum with your Chinese mom/grandmother/aunt.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced it isn't someone trying to cover their typo of "struggling kid"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drama, the grudges, the "blacklisting" for going against the grain, the apologists.........what a thread

I would personally never buy from toj (many reasons)....seems like a couple steps away from everyone calling each other nephew and uncle

Even if I didn't have the money I would rather save over the months it takes to get a jacket anyways and go out and buy from a retailer that I could 1. return easily and 2. fit the best. I am sure their jackets are nice and all, but not worth the headache that comes a long with it
This will be sacrilege to you,. but I wear mine more than I do my Margiela, which I also really like. It's not a particularly unique design, nor is it as well made as many of my other leather jackets, but if I want to throw something on and look pretty goold just about anywhere, my ToJ moto works. It's also the jacket that travels with me pretty much everywhere. You need a jacket to go out to a lame club in. It works. You need to go to some dumb art show in, it works. You need to go get coffee in the morning (definitely the most pleasant of those three tasks,) it works. It works in New York, and in Florence and in Paris and in Hong Kong and in LA. So, in many ways, it is a really good "srater" jacket. in that you don't need to build a wardrobe or lifestyle or whatever around it. It is a good separate that conforms to whatever your life might be.

Of course, 60 months wait time, or whatever, is crazy talk. I don't even like to stand in line for dinner.

Maybe I am getting old, but it amazes me that not getting 7 Gitman shirts at 80% off from the UM sale is such a terrible problem in life.
I must be getting old too.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm still not convinced it isn't someone trying to cover their typo of "struggling kid"

It was meant to be "struggle kid". Struggle *insert word here* is fairly common on the internets.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

it seems rather obscene that some people here seem to think dropping almost a grand on something and then continually being misled on it's estimated manufacture, delivery, etc isn't grounds for being upset

ah come, we all friends, right? haha, just us guys hanging out and making your jacket, right? haha, yeah man, yeah. come to our new restaurant, haha.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So, essentially, it's the price you pay for going to dim sum with your Chinese mom/grandmother/aunt.  

Was just walking home and thinking I probably explained that poorly. Struggle whatever is just some second tier thing. So you can have struggle bloggers, or struggle shoes, or struggle whatever.

Doesn't necessarily have to do with income. Has more to do with hierarchy. But in the case we're talking about, it seemed like it was referring to people who were second-tier (not cool or fashionable enough), and also couldn't afford nice things.

Feels weird explaining slang, esp as a guy in his mid-30s.

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
The drama, the grudges, the "blacklisting" for going against the grain, the apologists.........what a thread

I would personally never buy from toj (many reasons)....seems like a couple steps away from everyone calling each other nephew and uncle

Even if I didn't have the money I would rather save over the months it takes to get a jacket anyways and go out and buy from a retailer that I could 1. return easily and 2. fit the best. I am sure their jackets are nice and all, but not worth the headache that comes a long with it

This will be sacrilege to you,. but I wear mine more than I do my Margiela, which I also really like.  It's not a particularly unique design, nor is it as well made as many of my other leather jackets, but if I want to throw something on and look pretty goold just about anywhere, my ToJ moto works.  It's also the jacket that travels with me pretty much everywhere.  You need a jacket to go out to a lame club in.  It works.  You need to go to some dumb art show in, it works.  You need to go get coffee in the morning (definitely the most pleasant of those three tasks,)  it works.  It works in New York, and in Florence and in Paris and in Hong Kong and in LA.  So, in many ways, it is a really good "srater" jacket. in that you don't need to build a wardrobe or lifestyle or whatever around it.  It is a good separate that conforms to whatever your life might be.

I am sure they are very nice jackets and give you a lot of quality for the price (I've read many are happy with them) and I understand these are recent troubles not how it was "back in the day", but other factors would deter me from purchasing. Admittedly it is the long wait time...then comes the problem of do I have to ship it back to them if it is not exactly what I liked (they are in Korea right)? When are they going to have time in their schedule to fix it? What if I just want a full refund no questions asked? When it comes to 1K + leather jackets or even $700/800 ones the knowledge that I get what I want in less than a week and or a full refund is peace of mind to me. When it comes to 2K, 3K plus Margiela jackets you have to love the thing or it goes back haha

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just walking home and thinking I probably explained that poorly. Struggle whatever is just some second tier thing. So you can have struggle bloggers, or struggle shoes, or struggle whatever.

Doesn't necessarily have to do with income. Has more to do with hierarchy. But in the case we're talking about, it seemed like it was referring to people who were second-tier (not cool or fashionable enough), and also couldn't afford nice things.

Feels weird explaining slang, esp as a guy in his mid-30s.
To a guy who just turned 40.

Well, anyone who wants to, come drink this Struggle Adult's whiskey (we have MacCallan and Laophraig), and eat my Baohaus and our momofuku milkbar treats. Chances are I will be wearing my struggle ToJ FQHH moto. This coming Friday and Saturday. The loft and terrace at the 320 Studio in NYC. I suppose that you could look at clothes that people sell and that I will mostly be looking at at not buying, as well.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a Struggle _______.

I will start. I am a Struggle music lover. For real. I try to like cool music, but I really, not so secretly, like really ****** music. Ask @shoreman1782 for confirmation.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am sure they are very nice jackets and give you a lot of quality for the price (I've read many are happy with them) and I understand these are recent troubles not how it was "back in the day", but other factors would deter me from purchasing. Admittedly it is the long wait time...then comes the problem of do I have to ship it back to them if it is not exactly what I liked (they are in Korea right)? When are they going to have time in their schedule to fix it? What if I just want a full refund no questions asked? When it comes to 1K + leather jackets or even $700/800 ones the knowledge that I get what I want in less than a week and or a full refund is peace of mind to me. When it comes to 2K, 3K plus Margiela jackets you have to love the thing or it goes back haha

They are nice. I also am fortunate enough to have had experience with Toj leathers and with MMMs (I had a black calf Toj moto and I still have my black calf 5 zip), and similar jackets too at that. I liked my Toj, but the calf was so stiff that I had to eventually get rid of it, but it was a well built jacket (stitching was even, hardware was nice, leather was great). On the other hand, my Margiela is definitely more pliable and more "luxe" feeling. I also got my Toj in its heyday, when it took less than a month for me to go from giving them my measurements to getting my jacket. But it did cost at least double what I paid for my most recent Toj orders, and probably more than that for my first orders (2.5-3x)

Toj makes good products (I've had an order in for a jacket for me and one for my girlfriend since 10/2013), but the issues on the production end are a bit of an annoyance. At the same time, I couldn't find a single comparable product for my girlfriend under $1000 that would have given her a good quality jacket in a good hide (they're either ****** quality leather from what I've seen, or too cropped for her taste; maybe I haven't looked in the right places). And neither she nor I are in a particular rush to get our jackets either, so it's been nothing more than an annoyance for us.

The issue about liking the product is valid, but one that anyone going to an MTM outfit for clothing will come to. But since you're getting it made to your measurements, as long as you get your measurements right you should get the jacket you ordered. Before this whole production debacle the rare order that arrived flawed would get fixed quickly by the company. So the only issue would be whether you like the design itself or not, I guess.

eternaldrake

Reaction score

They are nice. I also am fortunate enough to have had experience with Toj leathers and with MMMs (I had a black calf Toj moto and I still have my black calf 5 zip), and similar jackets too at that. I liked my Toj, but the calf was so stiff that I had to eventually get rid of it, but it was a well built jacket (stitching was even, hardware was nice, leather was great). On the other hand, my Margiela is definitely more pliable and more "luxe" feeling. I also got my Toj in its heyday, when it took less than a month for me to go from giving them my measurements to getting my jacket. But it did cost at least double what I paid for my most recent Toj orders, and probably more than that for my first orders (2.5-3x)

Toj makes good products (I've had an order in for a jacket for me and one for my girlfriend since 10/2013), but the issues on the production end are a bit of an annoyance. At the same time, I couldn't find a single comparable product for my girlfriend under $1000 that would have given her a good quality jacket in a good hide (they're either ****** quality leather from what I've seen, or too cropped for her taste; maybe I haven't looked in the right places). And neither she nor I are in a particular rush to get our jackets either, so it's been nothing more than an annoyance for us.

The issue about liking the product is valid, but one that anyone going to an MTM outfit for clothing will come to. But since you're getting it made to your measurements, as long as you get your measurements right you should get the jacket you ordered. Before this whole production debacle the rare order that arrived flawed would get fixed quickly by the company. So the only issue would be whether you like the design itself or not, I guess.

I had 3 toj orders in total and I was pleased by each and the service, but this was long before production/shipping issues so maybe it's not so relevant (less than 3 week turnaround time on my cm har har)

@fok: how long have you had your fqhh moto/how stiff is it? i have a fqhh dr and its still stiff as hell after like 4 years

TheObserver

Reaction score
I am a Struggle TOJ customer. I'll gladly add $200 to have my TOJ done within 20 weeks but it does not seem like a possible option. I don't know what to do... clueless and struggling...

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All this leather jacket talk and here I am as someone who has never owned a leather jacket. I'd like one but they are expensive, I guess I'm a struggling kid. :foo:

What's a good starter leather? I wear white shirt and jawns nearly every day so think a leather would go good with what I wear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads