• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Wait, really? Vancouver is my hometown and I speak Cantonese. Everyone in Vancouver is from Hong Kong, and everywhere I go, the Chinese people I meet speak Cantonese. I rarely bump into someone who prefers to speak in Mandarin.

Like every time I visit Richmond and Burnaby I find that there are more Mandarin-speaking people than Cantonese. I think Cantonese may be more popular around the western boundary though?

can you guys explain why chinese girls speak so ******* loudly in public? teach me how to say stfu in both

Dunno why, Chinese people tend to be pretty loud in Chinese restaurants though.

Cantonese: MOW CHO LA SAY BAT POH

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Paypal is the worst ************* service I have ever used and I have mobile contracts. I can't ******* pay because I'm not in my country, you stupid motherfuckers I travel the whole year, that's the whole point of this ************* service being available online!!:brick:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cantonese sounds better than Mandarin in my opinion, but I find that the latter is much more useful in Vancouver

Srsly? Do you come at both as second languages? I just find it hard to believe.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
From what I understand, Vancouver is/was more Cantonese in the 80s, but it is now becoming more Mandarin? More immigrants from Mainland China these days vs Hong Kong previously? I say this as someone who has no knowledge whatsoever of either language - just what I've been told, so who knows.

Close to half of Vancouver speaks something other than english at home. I want to tackle one language or the other one of these days...

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paypal is the worst ************* service I have ever used and I have mobile contracts. I can't ******* pay because I'm not in my country, you stupid motherfuckers I travel the whole year, that's the whole point of this ************* service being available online!!:brick:

Just have your private banker or your trust administrator process it for you.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm growing my hair out for azn badboy topknot **** and I'm at that phase where I have that weird asian mullet thing going on that every nerdy asian had in middle/high school. I hope this ends soon.

i got to the floppy stage, realized it wasn't gonna be better until parts of it got past shoulder-length, that that was gonna be a damn long time given how slowly my hair grow,s and then gave up and cut my hair. if you live somewhere/have a job where you can wear a hat constantly, i'd say wear a lot of hats.

Last edited:

dress4success

Reaction score
Hi Guys -

This is Steve Downing in Clearwater, Florida.

I have been affiliated with a Chinese shirt-maker for the past year, specializing in custom, made-to-measure shirts made with premium fabrics. Although their custom shirts premium in terms of quality, I am getting killed with shipping and wire transfer charges and unfriendly dealer policies.

For example, to order the Canclini Fabric Swatch Book, which is quoted to me as costing $55, they are charging me $115 for shipping, and I need to wire transfer the money to China, which costs me $40. So, a $55 swatch book costs me $210!

I am looking for another shirt-maker - one who specializes in custom, made-to-measure (MTM) men's shirts, and who also offers premium fabrics and reasonable wholesale pricing.

Again, I specialize in premium fabrics, and my idea is to carry one brand of premium, shirting fabric and to limit the swatch selection to the fundamentals: several different solids of various weaves, wide and narrow stripes, large and small checks, some nice plaids, etc. Optimally, there will be fabrics available with these basic attributes in seasonal weaves, heavier, lighter, etc.

The basic concept is to offer premium quality and classic style. If you want the latest fashion, there are hundreds of retail outlets ready to welcome you with open arms.

I am just starting my business, for the most part, but I do have a few clients.

I'll need to be able to purchase swatches of premium shirting fabrics - again from one, premium mill - and I'll need to order a few shirts for myself and for a few of my clients - to evaluate the accuracy of the measurements, how they translate into the finished shirt products, etc.

I am interested in offering a very, very high quality product that completely and utterly and absolutely fits my client like a second skin. Well, not actually THAT tight, but you know what I mean.

Any help you can give me, directing me to a local, national or international company who fits the above description, would be appreciated.

Best, Steve Downing
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hi Guys -

This is Steve Downing in Clearwater, Florida. 

I have been affiliated with a Chinese shirt-maker for the past year, specializing in custom, made-to-measure shirts made with premium fabrics. Although their custom shirts premium in terms of quality, I am getting killed with shipping and wire transfer charges and unfriendly dealer policies. 

For example, to order the Canclini Fabric Swatch Book, which is quoted to me as costing $55, they are charging me $115 for shipping, and I need to wire transfer the money to China, which costs me $40. So, a $55 swatch book costs me $210! 

I am looking for another shirt-maker - one who specializes in custom, made-to-measure (MTM) men's shirts, and who also offers premium fabrics.

Again, I specialize in premium fabrics, and my idea is to carry one brand of premium, shirting fabric and to limit the swatch selection to the fundamentals: several different solids of various weaves, wide and narrow stripes, large and small checks, some nice plaids, etc. Optimumly, there will be fabrics available with these basic attributes in seasonal weaves, heavier, lighter, etc.
The basic concept is to offer premium quality and classic style. If you want the latest fashion, there are hundreds of retail outlets ready to welcome you with open arms.
I am just starting my business, for the most part, but I do have a few clients. 

I'll need to be able to purchase swatches of premium shirting fabrics - again from one, premium mill - and I'll need to order a few shirts for myself and for a few of my clients - to evaluate the accuracy of the measurements, how they translate into the finished shirt products, etc.

I am interested in offering a very, very high quality product that completely and utterly and absolutely fits my client like a second skin. Well, not actually THAT tight, but you know what I mean.

Any help you can give me, directing me to a local, national or international company who fits the above description, would be appreciated.

Best, Steve Downing

Email: [email protected]

Have you tried the upstate NY firms, or an outfit like Geneva shirts?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cantonese Chinese weddings are a weird haze of Louis the 13th, LV print bags and Heineken. Oh, and yellow gold Rolexes.

Also, Cantonese sounds awful.
They know how to cook though...

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out here most of the Mandarin speaking people are Taiwanese people in tech/finance. The Cantonese people are manual labor/small business owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads