• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am stuck, guys; how do I make it to the next level?

There's always going to be an awkward phase where you're trying to look good but you really don't know how yet, just keep wearing everything you own and like in every possible permutation. See **** in person whenever you can, and post fits regularly so people can give feedback on fit. Listen to synth and jet. I don't think you can force it, just hang around and you'll have some "a-ha" moment. It's like learning an instrument. With enough exposure to good **** and a lot of practice things fall into place.

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate missing out on buying something I really wanted because I'm out at dinner...on a related note, if whoever bought lmaozedong's Ervell cardigan decides they don't want it, let me know :)

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:( i'm sad lmao sold his ervell cardigan. i thought it was beautiful. sorry it didnt work out bro

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

0. Put almost everything you own in another closet in your house/apt, and wear clothes from it only when you would otherwise be naked.
1. Like others said, spend some money. Alternatively, devote yourself to just a couple of brands, like Uniqlo, that produce reasonably nice clothes for low prices. This includes a bunch of tshirts that fit well.
2. Except on very rare exception, do not think that Gap, Banana Republic, or other ****** mall brands fit into #1.
3. Buy one pair of expensive jeans that fit great. Wear them for at least a year straight. Seriously- I buy myself a pair of jeans for Christmas every year, and it's what I wear 95% of the following year. These can even be APCs.
4. Once you have the minimal amount of basics from #1, focus on slowly picking up grail pieces.
5. Pick up two pairs of nicer shoes (can often be found on sale or on B&S slightly worn)
6. If you ever are not completely happy with a garment, return it. Do not ever stray from this.
7. Buy one pair of glasses that look good on you. This will require going to a small specialty eyeglasses shop, preferably in a city somewhere nearby. Do not just default to the typical reading glasses that typical guys wear (and look stupid in).
8. Get a semi-fashionable haircut (I don't really know what this means because I have been shaving my head for the past decade)
9. Find a way to exercise on a regular basis, if you don't already. It helps with being trimmer and building confidence.
10. Consider changing your username- it implies blah.

(0)

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went from 0 to 4 cardigans, all in the span of like 3 weeks. I wish I never bought a knit someone stop me (pls sf)
Do I need to buy mothballs? Is that a thing still, moths eating your clothes? Sounds horrifying. How do I size APCs?

i keep my 100 percent wool stuff in a zip loc bag (0)

in related news, i need some good 'knit-kopping music'
please recommend :D

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i was going to post this earlier, but i didn't have time.

how old are you? if you're about my age, one thing i've realized the past year or so is that at a young age, clothing isn't really "worth" it. if you're in uni or whatever you're obviously going to have a limited budget so you're never truly going to be able to build the wardrobe you want. and once you get to the point when you can afford the wardrobe you want you're life will be far different from it is now and your wardrobe choices may reflect that. once you get the basics covered it's probably better to just buy **** you "need." (actually need, not styleforum need) and spend your spare cash on experiences, whether that be getting hammered with your friends or traveling. just my $0.02. maybe you're actually like 25 and have a real job or whatever. or maybe for whatever reason you'r a college kid who can afford a dope wardrobe. i'm just giving you my opinion based on my life and my experiences. it's one thing to have an interest in fashion and follow runway shows and trends and such but just realize that at some points in your life dressing like synth, tween, or some of the more prolific posters on here, is simply not feasible and learn to be happy with simple basics.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think clothing is worth it but it depends on what you value. if you value social standing clothing isn't really the way to achieve it. I do however like owning and wearing/using well made beautiful things and I also like being well dressed. I feel much more confident and that's a great place to be.

Last edited:

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't you like 15? Just wait until you have some money and then worry about this dopey fashion bullshit. Until then, have a lot of sex, enjoy a variety of recreational hallucinogens, and get really good at something. It almost doesn't matter what that thing is, as long as you are really good at it.

Edit after looking at your blog: You look real decent dude, not sure what you're worried about, if anything I would maybe get into an exercise routine but it's not a big deal. Even though this is Styleforum, not everybody gets to be a tall wealthy ectomorph, and you look fine considering you're batting 0 for 3 (I assume).

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i also agree that i enjoy wearing and owning nice things but lets not try and pretend that styleforum doesn't tend to value overconsumption of said nice things. in uni you really can get away with (and this is disregarding formalwear) one nice pair of jeans, some nice boots, some nice shoes, a bunch of uniqlo oxfords, some mid weight jackets and 1-2 heavy winter jackets. if you're on a limited budget, IMO, anything more than that is more than you really nee and you'd probably be better served using that money on something else. again, just my experience and what i'm starting to realize. que synth's post about dressing in college.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's yo budget

edit: also, this year I've decided to limit my winter coat usage. midweight jackets + layering whenever I can

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads