• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy **** so it turns out my Schneider Kilim shirt was actually sent all the way back to Belgium, guy messed up on the address. Took forever to return, jesus. Guess he's sending it back out this monday

Glad to know all this **** is over, no gov't red tape for me!

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i also agree that i enjoy wearing and owning nice things but lets not try and pretend that styleforum doesn't tend to value overconsumption of said nice things. in uni you really can get away with (and this is disregarding formalwear) one nice pair of jeans, some nice boots, some nice shoes, a bunch of uniqlo oxfords, some mid weight jackets and 1-2 heavy winter jackets. if you're on a limited budget, IMO, anything more than that is more than you really nee and you'd probably be better served using that money on something else. again, just my experience and what i'm starting to realize. que synth's post about dressing in college.

But why are you here if you're just trying to "get away with" certain clothing? I mean people here are cool and everything, but the reason why I post here a lot is because people are interested in the same things as I am, not that they want to dress in the lowest common denominator. Synth's post is a lot for beginners who just happen to stumble upon SF, not people who already show that they're genuinely interested in design. For 3 years now I have slowly built up a wardrobe that I'm very, very happy with it, and I honestly did not spend that much. Big purchases take longer, but B&S, sufumarket, and ebay are all very useful for building an amazing closet for a lot cheaper than one would expect.

What does the bolded part even mean? We value overconsumption? It's a hobby, one that a lot of us are heavily invested in. Just because you're buying things doesn't mean that it's overconsumption (or rather that all the negative connotations of the word apply).

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I've realized that my wardrobe is in a state on continual flux and refiguring. I have some pieces I wear constantly and never sell, but everything else moves in and out as my tastes change. The idea of wearing the same 15 things for the next four years is boring - and I don't want to just keep adding, and adding, and adding. Also part of the enjoyment in clothing for me is finding things cheaply -- I really do like the search, although I rarely hone in an item and spend months to track it down.

That said, my wardrobe isn't really big right now. I'm reading my shoe collection due to sizing issues/having different needs these days, but other than having like 50 t shirts I really don't own that many clothes.

Last edited:

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha, i only own two pairs of shoes and i feel mostly content with them :eek:

I owned like 1-2 pairs of shoes I actually wore (3? total) at the start of this year. Now I wear 7 pairs (own like 10) and I have a few more in mind (see sig for one)....4 pairs are Ann D.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Shoes are hard. :( I think I have weird fit, or I'm just super-sensitive to uncomfortable shoes, but if something doesn't fit really comfortably I'm just never going to wear it.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I built too fast. I've slowed down my purchases, restrained impulse buys, and I've become much happier with the things I do ultimately get. Need to move out some old stock, but I anticipate smooth sailing from there :cool:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whyyyyyyyy

and what do they look like?

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha, i only own two pairs of shoes and i feel mostly content with them :eek:

I could maybe get rid of the black shell boots and the white chucks, but then I would have nothing to wear with my suit and summer linen (respectively). Everything else I wear on a very regular basis. I wouldn't mind adding a pair of MOTO shoes to the mix someday.

istasi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're the tan ones from SS12 (these)

I think it might be my proportions or leg shape or something, idk. The boot tuck just looks bad. I thought maybe I need some looser pants, but brad tucks his into skinny pants all the time.

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be the colour too; If the pants are too baggy they'll flop over the shaft and it'll be easier to tell its sloppy.
I like tapered pants for boot tucking; much neater.

TWorksheets

Reaction score

for a change i'm stumped on what to wear tonight.

it's a bit chilly outside but it's not cold
i'm meeting a girl I really like for dinner so i need to look at least halfway decent (have to change from what I'm wearing)
she's coming with me to a Tame Impala concert so i need to also be dressed for that
going from there to what will most likely be a pretty rowdy party

jeans, brogue boots that I don't mind getting trashed, and monitaly 5-zip maybe?  feels so boring.

DRESS ME INTERNET

Weird question, but do leather jackets retain sweat/stale beer smells like most fabrics?

related rft: one of the benefits of being socially marsupialed and mildly agoraphobic is that I only have to dress for short bursts of real life while I wish I was at home wearing my designer clothes. Seriously though, doing just one of the things you're doing tonight is stressing me out.

TALK ME DOWN INTERNET

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I feel like I matured too fast, probably because I partied too hard from 14-22. I literally was not sober more than a couple hours for 7 years. Was working in the biggest club in madrid at 16. So over parties and bars. Still like shows though, went to leonard cohen recently, was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads