• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was perusing the local market today. one of these vendors was selling some alpaca tweed yarn; looked really nice and was crazy soft. i was thinking of having a sweater knitted from it... until i saw the price, which was like $68 for 665 yards or something like that. and apparently it's not even enough material for one sweater. :plain:

Last edited:

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

was perusing the local market today. one of these vendors was selling some alpaca tweed yarn; looked really nice and was crazy soft. i was thinking of having a sweater knitted from it... until i saw the price, which was like $68 for 665 yards or something like that. and apparently it's not even enough material for one sweater. :plain:

Depending on the weight that could be a little pricey or a great deal.

edit: To clarify, if you're paying $65 for a lace, fingering, or sport weight it better be some really excellent stuff or you're getting fucked. I'm guessing it's something mid-weight, either worsted or aran, in which case that price is about right for good alpaca. If it's bulky or super bulky that's a really good deal. Single ply yarn also tends to be a little more expensive, I think, but if it's had-spun that's likely what it is. I dunno if single ply is worth it for alpaca-- single ply yarns give great stitch definition, but I think that might be lost on something like alpaca or mohair..

Last edited:

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I truly believe... moreso than ever.. that Helmut Lang is the greatest designer ever.

Greater than YSL himself at his apex shattering the confines of Couture with inspirations of streetwear
Greater than Yohji when he first arrived in Paris
Greater than Dior and his New Look

fathered all the cool designers most people today worship (Rick Owens, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane, etc)

sorry just had to get that off my chest. Surely there is someone out there that agrees with me.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I truly believe... moreso than ever.. that Helmut Lang is the greatest designer ever.

Greater than YSL himself at his apex shattering the confines of Couture with inspirations of streetwear
Greater than Yohji when he first arrived in Paris
Greater than Dior and his New Look

fathered all the cool designers most people today worship (Rick Owens, Raf Simons, Hedi Slimane, etc)

sorry just had to get that off my chest. Surely there is someone out there that agrees with me.

well, i dont know much about fashion history but HL is certainly one of my faves. love digging though yjp and ebay for "OG" stuff :slayer:

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't really compare Helmut Lang to YSL or Dior since as far as I know neither of them ever did menswear, and I'm assuming that's the perspective you're looking at it from since Raf & Hedi never did women's. And if you are in fact talking about womenswear I think McQueen had a much larger impact during the same time period..

Idk. Sipang?

*though I really like helmut lang too

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So who's handled Margaret Howell in person? Stuff looks nice enough, but "quality" doesn't always translate well over not-so-detailed pictures.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't really compare Helmut Lang to YSL or Dior since as far as I know neither of them ever did menswear, and I'm assuming that's the perspective you're looking at it from since Raf & Hedi never did women's. And if you are in fact talking about womenswear I think McQueen had a much larger impact during the same time period..

Idk. Sipang?

*though I really like helmut lang too

Do you mean under their own//eponymous brands? Raf has definitely done womenswear at Jil, and to some degree of applause. Hedi will be doing womenswear from next season

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean under their own//eponymous brands? Raf has definitely done womenswear at Jil, and to some degree of applause. Hedi will be doing womenswear from next season

Yeah they've both done some to pretty high praise but it was hardly influential enough to compare to (christian) dior, YSL, etc, and they're both known mostly for their menswear.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

So who's handled Margaret Howell in person? Stuff looks nice enough, but "quality" doesn't always translate well over not-so-detailed pictures.

the quality is ok, i think retail on a lot of the pieces (mainline especially) is a little high, and i have a feeling that it's a lot cheaper in europe. i bought a pair of shorts and while i like the fit, the quality doesn't seem quite up to par -- really cheap plastic buttons for example.

Last edited:

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

somebody explain to me why air yeezys are so popular.

For one thing, it's a pair of nikes branded with a musician's name, which divorces it from a lot of the sports connotations that even a new space-age pair of Jordans have. So it's not just people who pay attention to sports who identify with the label, it's everybody - including a lot of people who like streetwear culture but dislike sports culture (aka hypebeasty motherfuckers) and so now this is "their" shoe because a dude who made some good music and markets himself as a visual artist/ visionary/ outsider/ actual fashion designer put his name on it. Depending on how much of his hype you buy this is like (to put it in white people terms) getting a shoe designed by Andrew Bird in an alternate universe where Andrew Bird is also Robert Geller.

They don't look half bad either, reminds me of the Puma Godzilla shoes. They could have done a lot more with them though, certain elements (especially the velcro strap) kind of **** up the flow of the rest of the shoe. Chicago is getting the black ones so I might get them, if I do I'll definitely put up pics.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MHL knits are quality about 1 notch under schneider

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah they've both done some to pretty high praise but it was hardly influential enough to compare to (christian) dior, YSL, etc, and they're both known mostly for their menswear.
untrue. Both Helmut and Raf are known very much for their womenswear as much as their mens work.
infact Raf's strongest works at Jil were his womens.
But from a standpoint of aesthetics and design I believe Helmut is better than YSL (And this is coming from a YSL Groupie). Helmut just did things that were beyond reach. He really had no peers. Dior had Balenciaga, YSL had Lagerfeld, and Mcqueen had John Galliano/Chalayan/Ghesquire to deal with. Lang just moved in his lane and shat on everything and everyone in the 90's and early 2000s

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having one of those moments of disappointed relief when something I really wanted, but didn't need, sells out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads