• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
untrue. Both Helmut and Raf are known very much for their womenswear as much as their mens work.
infact Raf's strongest works at Jil were his womens.
But from a standpoint of aesthetics and design I believe Helmut is better than YSL (And this is coming from a YSL Groupie). Helmut just did things that were beyond reach. He really had no peers. Dior had Balenciaga, YSL had Lagerfeld, and Mcqueen had John Galliano/Chalayan/Ghesquire to deal with. Lang just moved in his lane and shat on everything and everyone in the 90's and early 2000s

I was talking about Hedi Slimane not Helmut Lang, Slimane produced like one limited-edition women's collection in his entire career. However I don't think Lang ever did couture, so it's kinda hard to compare him to any of those other designers.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking about Hedi Slimane not Helmut Lang, Slimane produced like one limited-edition women's collection in his entire career. However I don't think Lang ever did couture, so it's kinda hard to compare him to any of those other designers.

Couture is overblown; from a technical perspective it's worth talking about but insofar as it influences mainstream fashion it's negligible. Yohji and Rei have never done couture either, but they certainly have the ability to. Doesn't make their work or impact less significant.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HL Lederhosen are also second only to Ann's.

No one can defeat Lederhosen.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Couture is overblown; from a technical perspective it's worth talking about but insofar as it influences mainstream fashion it's negligible. Yohji and Rei have never done couture either, but they certainly have the ability to. Doesn't make their work or impact less significant.
I agree with everything but that statement.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depending on the weight that could be a little pricey or a great deal.
edit: To clarify, if you're paying $65 for a lace, fingering, or sport weight it better be some really excellent stuff or you're getting fucked. I'm guessing it's something mid-weight, either worsted or aran, in which case that price is about right for good alpaca. If it's bulky or super bulky that's a really good deal. Single ply yarn also tends to be a little more expensive, I think, but if it's had-spun that's likely what it is. I dunno if single ply is worth it for alpaca-- single ply yarns give great stitch definition, but I think that might be lost on something like alpaca or mohair..

hm, i didn't really get a good look at it but it seemed to be plush and of decent weight. i guess to be fair i don't fabric shop that much (although given how much i like sweaters, i should probably learn how to knit...) so it's hard for me to make comparisons, but it definitely seemed "winter sweater"-grade stuff.

edit: 665 yards, 8oz skein. dunno how that figures out for alpaca. also seems like the natural colors were like $10 cheaper each.

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the case now, probably, but not when you're comparing designers over a timespan of like 60 years

I dunno, though, maybe Lang had more of an impact than I think he did, I just view him as a really cool but still somewhat under the radar designer.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a yes then. I'm same size pretty much across the board, but all the 11 low GATs I've tried on have been to tight.

Del-Toro

Reaction score
Last edited:

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You're just finding out about this?

In other news, air travel sucks and it's 95 degrees where I'm headed. **** summer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads