• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So every morning when I get in the office my co-worker is internet shopping
This morning she was looking at shoes from an mall brand (Steve Madden) and complained that the selection was so poor at the moment.
For some reason I felt inclined to share my bit of knowledge and introduced her to the likes of Jeffrey Campbell ... then it spawned into SSENSE, TheCorner, Yoox ...
She immediately picked up a MJ handbag and was really curious about the prices and how I knew about the store. She was quite ecstatic about finding out about these stores and forbid me to ever let her daughter know (like I even talk to her).
Then she started talking about fashion and this Gucci internship her daughter had connections to and asked if I was interested. She said I had a good eye and I can start off styling celebrities
What she does not realize is that there are millions of art/design students and bloggers in LA who want to do the exact same thing, and I just read up on a fashion forum where I'm actually the worst dressed
:fu:
I like to add that the showrooming affect is not as prolific as it seems. Everyone does it in the most basic money saving sense...but not to the extent that we may behave in terms of buying season after season of goods. There still lies a market that is untapped IMO, perhaps at the local level, that information can still be linked between the consumer and marketer/seller re: the anecdote with my co-worker
I really should utilize that $90 Adobe suite I picked up and start designing/creating a basic webpage ...

Pretty much what I've learned "in all my years" (lol) is that being the best is less important than being available.

When folks are looking for the services of other folks, yes they want quality work, but having quality that's within arms reach is even more important. Which is why so many people will gush about the power of networking.

Moral: seize the **** out of that opportunity without a whisper of guilt

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Totally agree. Lots of people get those very coveted jobs through connections, not because they're necessarily the best. If you're interested jump on it right away.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of GATs - I picked up a pair of mmm's from Dover Street Market a little while ago. The sales assistant went into a little speech about the origins of the GAT and claimed they were originally invented for the German army by the Nazis. Now I'm no expert so I just nodded and smiled politely while thinking...

1) telling someone the shoes they are buying are Nazi shoes isn't doing a great job of selling them
2) I'm pretty sure the original were designed in the 1970s (as it says on the insole of mmm's)

I thought it was funny anyway

johanm

Reaction score

On the subject of GATs  - I picked up a pair of mmm's from Dover Street Market a little while ago.  The sales assistant went into a little speech about the origins of the GAT and claimed they were originally invented for the German army by the Nazis.  Now I'm no expert so I just nodded and smiled politely while thinking...

1) telling someone the shoes they are buying are Nazi shoes isn't doing a great job of selling them
2) I'm pretty sure the original were designed in the 1970s (as it says on the insole of mmm's)

I thought it was funny anyway

It's similarly weird when IWC and Panerai dealers brag about their watches' WWII heritage. The watches are great on their own aesthetic merits, I don't see why they would want or need to emphasize the Nazi / Fascist history.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta give credit where credit is due, nazi's were some stylish motherfuckers, uniforms by hugo boss. I mean even if you tried to make the perfect villian uniform theres no way that you could do better than the SS uniform with the little skull badges.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

It's similarly weird when IWC and Panerai dealers brag about their watches' WWII heritage. The watches are great on their own aesthetic merits, I don't see why they would want or need to emphasize the Nazi / Fascist history.

their watches have a WWII 'heritage' in the sense that they had contract from allied and nazis governments and all made pilot's watches..

tbh if we're gonna dog companies for being complicit with mass murders IBM and bayer top the list..

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tbh if we're gonna dog companies for being complicit with mass murders IBM and bayer top the list..

IBM responded in February 2001 that "It has been known for decades that the Nazis used Hollerith equipment and that IBM's German subsidiary during the 1930s -- Deutsche Hollerith Maschinen GmbH (Dehomag) -- supplied Hollerith equipment. As with hundreds of foreign-owned companies that did business in Germany at that time, Dehomag came under the control of Nazi authorities prior to and during World War II. It is also widely known that Thomas J. Watson, Sr., received and subsequently repudiated and returned a medal presented to him by the German government for his role in global economic relations. These well-known facts appear to be the primary underpinning for these recent allegations.”

Richard Bernstein, writing for The New York Times Book Review, states that Black's case in his book IBM and the Holocaust "is long and heavily documented, and yet he does not demonstrate that IBM bears some unique or decisive responsibility for the evil that was done."

Anyway I think it's silly to criticize what companies did decades ago unless they are family-run or proud /unapologetic regarding some reprehensible act.

IBM is one of the better companies operating today by most measures.

I'm also going to exit this conversation right now because I don't really care one way or another.

Last edited:

nineohtoo

Reaction score
yardsale posted up an interesting article on his tumblr related to the discussion toasty just started here. On a semi related note, I recently watched one of Lehrer's talks on creativity(writer of linked article). Good **** if you work in creative fields or in a start up environment.

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just realised styleforum is an awful place for developing your personal style, I mean, there's a lot of really well dressed people here who are inspirational to me, but there's a very limited aesthetic here, and I've realised that instead of buying things I like I've been (subconsciously) buying things that seem to be liked by styleforum, and dressing the way I think styleforum would like. (again, subconsciously) I've seen a lot of other people doing this too, CDhagg and I think even if you try to resist it you will try to buy from brands that are SF approved even if you like an item from a non SF approved brand, when really you should just be buying whatever the hell you, personally, like. Going to try and stay off this site for a while man.

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats why it helps to actually live your life and draw inspiration from other sources as well. for example, synth's recent western wanderer kick seems to fit him as he lives in CO and i imagine him meandering through the colorado countryside drinking bourbon out of a flask. i mean, i don't have a life,which is why i dress like a turd, but yeah.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's something true of any endeavor - if you're a writer and go and join your university's newspaper you'll end up aping the style guide and diction of what gets published, if you're a programmer and start contributing to the Linux kernel you'll learn exactly how the revision process works and tailor your patches to the approval of whoever controls your section of interest. You just have to be cognizant of the biases and ask yourself why you're actually buying something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads