• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't COS take more than just the lapel-less coat? And a decent chunk of Schneider?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol I just saw the RW Instagram, what a train wreck. Pretty sure dude didn't invent patches on clothing

Maxwellll

Reaction score
COS is there to be a cut price version of designer brands really, most of it looks like whatever ideas Jil Sander or Acne Studios didnt want to use this season, id imagine the designers at COS are well into those high end labels and so stick what they like into the COS lines. There is definitely some very Stephan Schneider looking bits there lately though.

The J.Crew thing probably wouldnt be much of a big deal if they hadnt used Rareweaves stuff for styling originally and then gone and made the similar pieces, that definitely makes it look like a snide move.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone live in Taiwan? Have a couple business trips there next month with some free days

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

COS is there to be a cut price version of designer brands really, most of it looks like whatever ideas Jil Sander or Acne Studios didnt want to use this season, id imagine the designers at COS are well into those high end labels and so stick what they like into the COS lines. There is definitely some very Stephan Schneider looking bits there lately though.

The J.Crew thing probably wouldnt be much of a big deal if they hadnt used Rareweaves stuff for styling originally and then gone and made the similar pieces, that definitely makes it look like a snide move.

What does this mean? Rare weaves pieces appeared in j crew marketing material? Or someone at J crew took a look at RW stuff, thought "that's cool," and made similarly-inspired pieces?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What does this mean? Rare weaves pieces appeared in j crew marketing material? Or someone at J crew took a look at RW stuff, thought "that's cool," and made similarly-inspired pieces?

J. Crew apparently reached out to RW to borrow one of their jeans for a shoot. You can see it here (the jacket is J. Crew; the denim RW).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKTg3Rugy9S/

Hartley is complaining that he was never credited or compensated for lending those jeans (don't know if that's standard protocol or not), and that later, J. Crew came out with their own patchwork denim. Seen here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/480819/random-fashion-thoughts-part-ii-a-new-hope/11600_20#post_8571140

He feels this is J. Crew ripping off his idea and design.

My guess is that Frank and his team were prob going to come out with patchwork jeans anyway. They obviously thought the idea was cool, that's why they borrowed RW's for a shoot. Prob just didn't have J. Crew samples ready at the time and wanted to show off an idea/ concept/ style. But who knows.

Last edited:

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Yeah, what dieworkwear said

but then you could also point the finger at Rareweaves for trying to be Kapital etc, personally I probably wouldnt have been so outspoken about it when my own designs are so close to those Japanese brands themselves.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little absurd (and totally lacking self-awareness) for RW to talk about ripping off designs when his whole project is a blatant hipstappropriation of Japanese boro and patching ethos and techniques, made in 11211. Nothing wrong with that... but pretty low IP cred.

The whole process of styling the RW pants before releasing their own, feels a little bit sketchy but what do you expect from J Crew? They've been ripping off streed cred from the "in good company" brands, for the sole purpose of making themselves look legit. And the smaller labels gobble it up - I can't tell you how many times I talked to one of those brands and they were SO happy to be J Crew's arm candy.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's obvious this is some low key marketing strategy to garner attention for the small and big guy. Sensationalism at its best!

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just reading about this! Did you know that sewn into each pair of JCrew patchwork jeans is a barely perceptible sliver of fabric from the RW pants used in that photo shoot? Really cool way for Frank to hide evidence of his shady dealings, plus everyone gets a piece of Hartley's SWEAT and TEARS for a JCrew price. Neat.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little absurd (and totally lacking self-awareness) for RW to talk about ripping off designs when his whole project is a blatant hipstappropriation of Japanese boro and patching ethos and techniques, made in 11211. Nothing wrong with that... but pretty low IP cred.

The whole process of styling the RW pants before releasing their own, feels a little bit sketchy but what do you expect from J Crew? They've been ripping off streed cred from the "in good company" brands, for the sole purpose of making themselves look legit. And the smaller labels gobble it up - I can't tell you how many times I talked to one of those brands and they were SO happy to be J Crew's arm candy.
It's hard to say that someone is ripping off someone's street cred when the two parties are entering into a mutually beneficial agreement. Fame and wealth have been entering into marriages forever. Each has something the other wants. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Also, I think that at this point, J Crew also lends some cred to smaller brands, like being carried by Barneys. It's evidence that you've made it.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems he has taken away all 6 of the "ALL CAPS"-posts now, who knows maybe he's a lurker here and saw the discussion/comments

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also, I think that at this point, J Crew also lends some cred to smaller brands, like being carried by Barneys.  It's evidence that you've made it.  

I don't think that section is really about highlighting small brands. It's almost all heritage focused -- brands like Alden, Barbour, Mackintosh, Drake's, Cordings, etc. I don't know if those brands necessarily have to show they've made it. I don't know why they enter into those partnerships, to be honest. Maybe they sell a lot of units, but J. Crew obviously brings them on board to look like they're a higher-quality retailer than they are.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think that section is really about highlighting small brands. It's almost all heritage focused -- brands like Alden, Barbour, Mackintosh, Drake's, Cordings, etc. I don't know if those brands necessarily have to show they've made it. I don't know why they enter into those partnerships, to be honest. Maybe they sell a lot of units, but J. Crew obviously brings them on board to look like they're a higher-quality retailer than they are.

I think that even for these brands, working with J Crew is working with the big boys. Even though they might be older companies and well known in a small niche, many of the smaller companies, looking from inside, are quite small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members