• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an exercise, I just made a sketch of a lapelless coat.  It is the type of sketch that I'd have made if someone told me "Design a lapelless coat".  I had not seen any pictures AFAIK, of Peir Wu's coat, before hand.  I am also not a designer, so though I've been exposed to fashion for a long time, I am not subject to the same aesthetic conditioning that designers that have gone to a design school have.  

I then googled "Peir Wu lapelless coat", and they looked, perhaps unsurprisingly, fairly similar.  The only images that I had in my head when making a sketch was a vague recollection of a Margiela lapelless coat, a picture I'd seen years ago in an LN-CC lookbook, and a Marni coat my wife has worn for years.  I simply took the lapels off of that and tried to create a tulip shape when I took the lapels off.  

I think that there are only so many ways to design a lapelless coat, maybe.

i certainly don't disagree with this type of argument, or what the woman in DWW's video seems to be saying from a quick scan. I come from the art world, day one lesson one at any decent art school would be that there's no such thing as originality, steal anything and everything etc. despite this i still find it distasteful to see big conglomerates doing straight rip-offs of small independent designers, who are almost invariably struggling just to pay the rent. in peir's case, as others have pointed out, there were other pieces that they also blatantly copied. i'm sentimentally attached to the idea that there is a difference between picking up that lapel-less coats are cool and setting out to make one vs simply scanning a collection and saying 'right we're going to copy that and that and that', although the distinction is probably meaningless in reality.
the whole idea of the free flow of information/ideas is obviously great, but it starts to feel like the flow is overwhelmingly in one direction ( of course this is just life under hyper-capitalism or wherever we are now, but equally i dunno if it helps that we all become apologists for that process, even just by default).

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see your tech bro, and raise you footballing icon. pep actually looked way better in his yoox-style euro-wear IMO :-(

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lol nametags :)

I've definitely noticed more tech guys here wearing "fashion" in the last couple years. but mostly just designer sneakers and jeans. I did see a couple decked in full Rick at a Starbucks a few months ago getting Frappucinos.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Wears full Rick.

Buys Fraps.

Full Goth hipster checks out.

Gruff

Reaction score
Anyone live in Taiwan? Have a couple business trips there next month with some free days

I don't live in Taiwan but have been there multiple times on vacation. I assume you'll be in and around Taipei, so just google things to do and you'll get dozens of options based on what you're interested in.

One standout for me is the National Palace Museum. Full of amazing Chinese art that the Kuomintang manged to save from the Communists during the Chinese Civil War. Check out the Taipei Zoo if you can, and stop at nearby Zhinan Temple. The Zoo's pretty good and the temple is a fantastic Daoist religious center.

If you can get out of Taipei, go check out Sun-Moon Lake. Kind of like a small mountain resort with some really nice scenery.

Also, IIRC you're in Japan and speak Japanese - you may already be aware but Japan actually occupied Taiwan for about 50 years from 1895-1945, long enough to leave a lasting cultural impression and you'll enjoy looking for the little Japanese touches on Taiwanese life. In fact, a lot of old timers speak Japanese since it was mandatory for them when they were in school.

All in all you'll really like Taiwan. It's a great place to experience Chinese culture without having to actually be in China. Taiwanese are super chill and friendly compared to asshole mainlanders. It's seriously fantastic imo.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taiwan is actually the best. Loved every hour I was there. Fell in love about 4 times. Ate great food, sang a lot.

10/10 possibly best country in Asia.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, I've been there once as a tourist a couple years ago... mainly hung out in Taipei, visited Jiufen, super touristy stuff. I think I have like two full free days, might wanna take an overnight trip somewhere less touristy since I'll be in Taipei otherwise.

All in all you'll really like Taiwan.  It's a great place to experience Chinese culture without having to actually be in China.  Taiwanese are super chill and friendly compared to asshole mainlanders.  It's seriously fantastic imo.

This was my general impression after going and why I'm excited to go back haha

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Also recommend Tainan. Very different feel from Taipei, and less tourists. Food is great (if a little sweet).

Also Hualien if you like riding bikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads