• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of astonished by the wholesale adoption of ripped / destroyed denim. Obviously the raw denim thing has been over for a while, but I feel like we're back in the aughts with skinny jeans from JE+Co and SLP replacing the bootcuts from 7FAM and True Religion.

Even worse. You see guys wearing stuff like this:

But they're on the shorter side so those huge holes end up mid-shin.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Hmm, I wonder if the raw denim thing will ever really be over over.  It's not exactly the new thing anymore, but it seems to still have quite a following, and I could see it holding on among certain people.  I know I'm old enough that I don't ever see myself putting on a pair of ripped jeans again.

Not over over, but it's kind of had its moment (I say this as someone who's worn raw denim just about every day for the past six years). It's no longer shiny and new, and we're probably past the days where anyone with a roll of selvedge denim and a dream could launch an internet startup and have a reasonable expectation of success.

See also: reddit ngram: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...edge&start=20071015&end=20150831&smoothing=10

Very true...it's either SLP or reddit or suits, I very rarely see anything remotely interesting. For this reason I couldn't nominate SF as a fashionable city, for the most part it's just people following some pre determined aesthetic and not daring to stray from it

I'll counter and say at least people are going for any aesthetic at all. It's always going to be a relatively slim segment of the population that's going to experiment with anything remotely unique. Here (Philly) people pretty much just wear mall-brand stuff, logo tees, &c. Unintentional normcore, maybe? It was almost a relief when I started seeing reddit-ified people around town in the past couple of years. Sure, they're not trying anything interesting or new, but at least they're trying.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll be in Singapore at the end of this month - any recs for food and stuff to see/do? open to anything at the moment.

@penanceroyaltea :nodding:*think* you live there?

How many days are you here for? Think there are a fair few Singaporeans on both swd and cm.

Most of the good food are in central/east side. It's been raining pretty much every day this week (monsoon season) so keep that in mind when packing.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Siki Im SS17 looks really good, too bad it'll be impossible to find to buy anywhere
Yeah it looks really good.
Ssense still stocks him. Ecole has bits and pieces
Mostly only the Den Im stuff though, mainline Siki is essentially impossible to find unfortunately. Machus occasionally gets some of the Den Im line too and The Celect seems to have the most.

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like these 2 Siki looks off of Instagram

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was big into raw denim for a while, then a couple years ago swore by Acne's stretch denim, and now I'm wearing Outlier Slim Dungarees any chance I get. It's hard to see yourself going back once you move on, but some people really like the story and personalization of raw denim

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know this has nothing to do with fashion, but I thought it would be worth asking here.
Is there a good, easy place to sell CD's? I don't feel like listing each individual cd on eBay or anything like that and even small stacks of the same artist is a chore. I'll take like $1-$2 each and have about 500+ to sell. I already unloaded about 300 at a cd/dvd resell place locally but they only took the more mainstream ****, the rest is all underground hip hop mostly from 2000-2010 (def jux, Rhymesayers and similar).
Is the best bet just garage sale for $1 each or is there some kind of online consignment shop that would pay me for it upfront?

hennree

Reaction score

definitely hit up some hawker centers, if nothing else.

geylang is an, uhh, interesting area

@hennree Assuming that you're just hanging around the city centre:

Food
Putien (Chinese. Several outlets in town)
Rumah Makan Minang (Indonesian)
Koh Nang Kam (Thai Muslim)
Nobu-ya (Japanese Izakaya. Reservation required for weekends. Ordering of alcohol is a must, else you'll be turned away)

Drinks with view
1-Altitude
Level 33
Smoke & Mirrors
Lepark (a slightly different kind of view)

Things to do
Enjoy sunset at Marina Barrage Rooftop
Rent a bicycle and cycle from the Marina Bay area to Changi Village (somewhere near the airport) on a coastal bike path. You don't have to do the entire route naturally.

If you have the budget, stay a night at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, just to have a swim in the infinity pool

How many days are you here for? Think there are a fair few Singaporeans on both swd and cm.

Most of the good food are in central/east side. It's been raining pretty much every day this week (monsoon season) so keep that in mind when packing.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Some of those rooftop bars look great & yeah I'm gunna be spending a lot of time at the hawker centers.

I'll be there for 4 days. I've been checking the weather for a while and according to BBC it rains in Singapore 24/7. :nodding:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not over over, but it's kind of had its moment (I say this as someone who's worn raw denim just about every day for the past six years). It's no longer shiny and new, and we're probably past the days where anyone with a roll of selvedge denim and a dream could launch an internet startup and have a reasonable expectation of success.

See also: reddit ngram: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...edge&start=20071015&end=20150831&smoothing=10
I'll counter and say at least people are going for any aesthetic at all. It's always going to be a relatively slim segment of the population that's going to experiment with anything remotely unique. Here (Philly) people pretty much just wear mall-brand stuff, logo tees, &c. Unintentional normcore, maybe? It was almost a relief when I started seeing reddit-ified people around town in the past couple of years. Sure, they're not trying anything interesting or new, but at least they're trying.

Isn't "unintential normcore" just normal?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
anybody in nyc saturday i might get together with @snowmanxl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads