• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i would totally buy those sesame street ****** highs

they probably killed ernie, big bird, and cookie monster to make those! limited edition goodness!

and put together as an art project by Mrs. Ernst's 1st grade class

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
The big birds are actually "duck feathers" and will run you a nice and low one time payment of 2K

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe you are right.  On the other hand, the big music labels, the newspaper industry, big bookstore chains, all collapsed with breathtaking speed.   The worst mistake any brand, any industry, can make is to say "Nah, we are too big to fail."

This. Bet Gap wasn't afraid of Zara even ten years ago. Now they're scrambling to figure out how to keep up.

Also, don't think I've ever seen this snap of Marty Margiela before https://instagram.com/p/BBdlvTaLWUu/

edit: Oh, and another point about Burberry et al. It makes a lot of sense when you consider that runway shows weren't originally customer-facing. They were more for industry people, like buyers and editors. That's changed with the internet (style.com, then other outlets, and especially social media now...can't avoid it). They've increasingly become marketing events aimed at the general public over the last 10+ years, but their timing was still stuck in the old model. Burberry is really just acknowledging that the customer is now the main audience for the shows. And like Fok said, all the buying will still go on in showroom appointments. I'm really curious to see how brands handle all the logistical changes, and who figures out how to do it well.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I love Margiela...some times they put out some beautiful boots and other times we get these

YES. It's that Margiela x Mezlan collaboration I've been waiting for.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nah bro that's the margiela x donald j pliner release.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. Bet Gap wasn't afraid of Zara even ten years ago. Now they're scrambling to figure out how to keep up.

Also, don't think I've ever seen this snap of Marty Margiela before https://instagram.com/p/BBdlvTaLWUu/

edit: Oh, and another point about Burberry et al. It makes a lot of sense when you consider that runway shows weren't originally customer-facing. They were more for industry people, like buyers and editors. That's changed with the internet (style.com, then other outlets, and especially social media now...can't avoid it). They've increasingly become marketing events aimed at the general public over the last 10+ years, but their timing was still stuck in the old model. Burberry is really just acknowledging that the customer is now the main audience for the shows. And like Fok said, all the buying will still go on in showroom appointments. I'm really curious to see how brands handle all the logistical changes, and who figures out how to do it well.

It's really refreshing that brands, both big and small, are looking at changing the current fashion landscape. I do see a handful of problems with what Burberry and Tom Ford are doing such as not having enough inventory because everything will be pre-produced before taking orders and having bland, more sale-able product to ensure sales but making the collection boring in the process. Ultimately I think what they are doing is interesting but it definitely seems as though they are just moving toward a more fast-paced calendar and finding out a way to circumvent knock-offs while trying to keep pushing more product. Which I don't think what the world needs is more product, but I do realize trying to explain that to a board at a company like Burberry is not exactly feasible either.

I do like what Demna at Vetements is doing as well, with pushing up the showing dates to make sure their clothing will be in stores when clothing is actually being sold and not giving in to the pressure of doing pre-collections. It's a smart idea, especially for a smaller brand such as theirs. It will be interesting to see how it pans out without having all of the press at a show and maybe focusing more heavily on social media and look-book-style shots to get out to the buyers and consumers.

Interesting time in fashion right now though and I'm glad there are designers and brands out there actually willing to evolve.

Last edited:

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, somehow I made another post.

Either way, I am wondering who will follow suit after Tom Ford and Burberry.

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
screw you F***ers, it's been cold as balls (with a minor blizzard thrown in for good measure) in denver the last couple weeks (altho in true front range fashion, we're immediately following that up with a mid-50s to low-60s "heat wave" the next couple weeks). i head to the bay area for a couple weeks starting next week and it's gonna be glorious getting to wear t-shirts.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's trite but nice weather is boring (for clothes). I've basically gotten rid of my old outerwear I didn't like and haven't bought any replacements cause the bay's been so hot

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this RLPL jumper for a while now, but haven't really worn it properly, I don't know what will go with it, Summer is coming up soon and I want to wear it.
Help is, as always, appreciated.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Opportunity risk, primarily, and budget risk to a lesser degree.

Gotcha.

For the really engaged fashion consumer that may be a useful trade-off, but for the rabble I think the opportunity to handle at/potentially return to a retail outlet (plus the expectation of sales later in the season) is something people would really miss. I mean we're a long way from getting rid of retail altogether but it's sorta happening to mainstream department stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads