• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like it would go really well with an unearned smugness.

I've had this RLPL jumper for a while now, but haven't really worn it properly, I don't know what will go with it, Summer is coming up soon and I want to wear it.
Help is, as always, appreciated.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Opportunity risk, primarily, and budget risk to a lesser degree.

I think the opportunity to handle at/ of

This is a huge trade off. I guess if you're buying just because of the brand it doesn't matter. Or if you know fabric codes etc it's still not the same. One way around it is to just walk into the buyers' event post show and check things out but that requires being in Paris or wherever. Plus you'll have to be or pretend to be affiliated with a retailer.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The solution is to let the guests of runway shows reach out and caress the clothes as the models walk by

Then every show can resemble a zombie movie. We waaant to touuuch yooour faaaaabriiiiiics

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Yeah, there are a number of reasons that model won't work for any labels that are doing anything interesting, design-wise.

The one I haven't seen mentioned though is that most people simply don't have the confidence to buy something without first seeing what is trending, and what cool stores, tastemakers, and trendsetters have bought and are wearing.

Burberry actually did something about 5 years back for the Korean market, who were obsessed with matching "his and hers" things. They offered a NikeID sort of setup, where you could customize trench coats to your specs, at a massive premium, and the details would get sent directly to the factory and made from those submissions. Of course there were one or two people in the middle making sure something weird wasn't going on, but it was technology that have developed in-house, even years ago. I see no reason why they couldn't have shoppable runway shows, especially if what they're showing on the runway is something they've already been making for months or years.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The one I haven't seen mentioned though is that most people simply don't have the confidence to buy something without first seeing what is trending, and what cool stores, tastemakers, and trendsetters have bought and are wearing.

I love the idea of taking this away from them.

I've had this RLPL jumper for a while now, but haven't really worn it properly, I don't know what will go with it, Summer is coming up soon and I want to wear it.
Help is, as always, appreciated.

With the weird green background/lighting I can't tell if that's orange or pink, but it's just a crewneck knit top -- you are over-thinking it.

Avoid the Vineyard Vines catalogue look and you're probably fine.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Margiela produce everything in Romania now? @RegisDB9
I know Made in Romania vs. Made in Italy probably doesn't mean anything quality wise, but it does raise some ethical qualms. I noticed that AMI is also made in Romania, and I don't know how much I trust their "with love" promise. And generally fashion houses moving production to cheaper labor has been an ominous sign in terms of the future of the brand. I guess Margiela is under yoox < net-a-porter so it's inevitable.
Too bad because SS16 and FW16 both looked really strong.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does Margiela produce everything in Romania now? @RegisDB9

I know Made in Romania vs. Made in Italy probably doesn't mean anything quality wise, but it does raise some ethical qualms. I noticed that AMI is also made in Romania, and I don't know how much I trust their "with love" promise. And generally fashion houses moving production to cheaper labor has been an ominous sign in terms of the future of the brand. I guess Margiela is under yoox < net-a-porter so it's inevitable. 
Too bad because SS16 and FW16 both looked really strong. 

Romania has to follow the same EU labour laws that Italy does (yes I know it's in theory and practice may vary). Worker's rights are probably better protected than in the US...

Ragechester

Reaction score
Yea but some of the styling choices so badddd

I thought the price gouging would be worse

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Styling is bad, but honestly considering how absurd I thought the pricing would be, the prices things sold at weren't that out of line (or at least the things I clicked on weren't)

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was actually a fairly well curated collection. They managed to cover a wide range of styles with some cool pieces from each. Didn't really pay attention to styling, just looked at items themselves. I am a little surprised how quickly things sold. Also did they just buy these pieces off the marketplace and store them until they got 100? If so that's a pretty risky move - comes with all the risks/problems of being a retailer.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
laugh to jack black singing kpop instead

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was actually a fairly well curated collection. They managed to cover a wide range of styles with some cool pieces from each. Didn't really pay attention to styling, just looked at items themselves. I am a little surprised how quickly things sold. Also did they just buy these pieces off the marketplace and store them until they got 100? If so that's a pretty risky move - comes with all the risks/problems of being a retailer.
Agreed, thought some of the looks were pretty cool.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha.

For the really engaged fashion consumer that may be a useful trade-off, but for the rabble I think the opportunity to handle at/potentially return to a retail outlet (plus the expectation of sales later in the season) is something people would really miss. I mean we're a long way from getting rid of retail altogether but it's sorta happening to mainstream department stores.
Yeah, there are a number of reasons that model won't work for any labels that are doing anything interesting, design-wise.

Burberry actually did something about 5 years back for the Korean market, who were obsessed with matching "his and hers" things. They offered a NikeID sort of setup, where you could customize trench coats to your specs, at a massive premium, and the details would get sent directly to the factory and made from those submissions. Of course there were one or two people in the middle making sure something weird wasn't going on, but it was technology that have developed in-house, even years ago. I see no reason why they couldn't have shoppable runway shows, especially if what they're showing on the runway is something they've already been making for months or years.
It seems like, at least from the consumer side, that there would be few perceivable changes. The real change would be on the vendor would get the benefits of marketing immediately, instead of spending a ton of time and money on a runway show or installation that generates excitement for stuff that won't be on sale for 6 months, and then, when the collections actually hit the stores, there is no followup marketing by the brand itself, other than through third parties like magazines, online publications, and retailers.

Or maybe we are talking at cross purposes. That also happens a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads