• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think is really interesting that Boyer's connects Cary Grant and Castiglione's idea of sprezzutura. According to this post on sprezzutura

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2015/06/sprezzatura-great-philological-debate.html

. . . there are two aspects to be considered for sprezzatura. The first is the concept of "hiding the art," to make the contrived appear natural. The key is appearance. Castiglione is not supporting naturalism here -- he doesn't encourage the courtier to "be himself", he's encouraging the courtier to make himself a better courtier through intense training and then to present that person as if it were the natural self.

According to Boyer, that is exactly what Grant did, he made himself better through training.

Cary Grant started off as Archibald Leach, a child from a lower-middle class family in Bristol, England. Consciously modeling himself on several successful, sophisticated celebrities, he eventually became the suave actor we recognize as Cary Grant. Of course he was smart enough to know his persona was consciously constructed, as he sometimes replied to strangers who said, "I wish I were Cary Grant", by saying, "Me too."

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeezy prices are cray cray. Only really cared about the tanks but I don´t see them up.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Sweatshirts are ******* important... That might sound like the funniest quote ever. How can you say all this stuff about running for president in 2020 and then say sweatshirts are important? But they are. Just mark my words. Mark my words like Mark Twain."

- Kanye West

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I hop onto the "urban techwear" trend? Thinking about picking up a teatora sneakers device jacket in stretch polyester...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should I hop onto the "urban techwear" trend? Thinking about picking up a teatora sneakers device jacket in stretch polyester...
I will say that it will make for a more comfortable life.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ do you have a little rat arm/leg ?

Its always such a relief.

Just got a RO heavy calf stooges jacket, this thing is incredible. Im a little concerned as to how it will effect my future bank account and wardrobe, but plan on getting a couple ricky staples on B&S/groiled to balance it out. I feel like the stooges is a "safe" enough style that doesnt veer too far into the severe end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting NYC stockists for yeezy

Atelier: 210 Eleventh Avenue, West Chelsea (opens at 11am)

Barneys New York: 660 Madison Avenue, Midtown; 194 Atlantic Avenue, Cobble Hill (both open at 10am)

Hotoveli: 271 West 4th Street (men's/women's) and 378 Bleecker Street (women's), West Village (both open at 11am)

Kith: 644 Broadway, Noho (opens at 10am); 233 Flatbush Avenue, Prospect Heights (opens at 11am)

Opening Ceremony: 35 Howard Street, Soho (opens at 11am)
http://ny.racked.com/2015/10/29/9634474/yeezy-season-1-october-29-nyc-barneys-opening-ceremony-kith

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprised, not surprised that everything hasn't sold out.

jwalterweather

Reaction score
food/shopping recs for chicago? i have like 6 days to kill
frown.gif
Independence too.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anything under $500 was guaranteed to sell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads