• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/29/fashion/pierre-berge-on-luxury-morocco-and-hedi-slimane.html?_r=0

You want me to talk about fashion? O.K., fine. Let’s talk about fashion.”

Suddenly Pierre Bergé, the French 84-year-old arts patron, media baron, multimillionaire and longtime lover and business partner of the designer Yves Saint Laurent, sat bolt upright in his chair. Back stiff, eyes blazing and hands clasped, Mr. Bergé leaned in with a snort of intent.

“First, I want to say this: The time of Chanel, Balenciaga, Dior and, of course, Yves — well, that time is over,” he proclaimed amid the Pop Art prints and glossy coffee table books that decorate his office — unchanged since the 1970s — in the gilded Avenue Marceau headquarters of the couple’s foundation in Paris.

“Second, so too is the era of haute couture. Completely over, gone,” he continued. “This is why what we call luxe today is just ridiculous. To me, that whole industry now — all money and marketing — it is all something like a lie.”

[something, something, something, blah blah blah]

“But people’s perception of what luxury is has changed in such an extraordinary way. Their conception of what is fashion is so different now from the sort of fashion that Yves created — that I created with him. That no longer exists,” he continued. “A handbag that a woman takes with her all over the place — to a grocery store, through the airport — I cannot imagine how that can be considered luxury. That is not luxury.”

Mr. Bergé showered scorn upon the leading labels of today’s industry, save for Saint Laurent, whose controversy-courting creative director, Hedi Slimane, was seen as the heir to the house by Mr. Bergé long before his appointment in 2012.

“I love him,”
said Mr. Bergé simply as he brushed away a stray piece of lint from his charcoal gray suit. “Hedi is a friend, and I have seen and recognized his talent for a very long time. I always said Yves had to have a successor, and someone with their own individual vision. I continue to watch and admire from afar what he does with the brand.”

wwwtttfffffffffff

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

I think Hedi Slimane makes sense as a successor to Yves Saint Laurent - who else is doing that sort of mainstream chic/luxury fashion design at such a high level these days?

Thought Berge's point about H&M/Zara was interesting (i.e. that's where the action is these days). Feel like the trend, at least among NYC yuppie women these days, is to exclusively shop for clothes at those kinds of "high street" stores and then focus big spending on status symbol accessories (e.g. Chanel bag or a SLP biker jacket).

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2DEA86EB00000578-0-image-a-9_1446137930096.jpg

So good he bought them twice: Roberto Graham, 28, bought two pairs of boots - one for himself, the other for his girlfriend. 'Air Jordans are cool for teenagers but these are for people into fashion,' he said

oh

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Yeezy stuff is overpriced and kinda lame but so is a lot of stuff discussed on this forum too sooo

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Adam Zeldin, 28, a software consultant, waited two and a half hours in line before leaving the queue because he was fed up with the wait.

He spent the time working on his laptop with the computer perched on a barricade.

He said: 'This was not a luxury clothing experience. They did not sort the line, they did not even bring us water.'

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can now buy protein at MrPorter.

$60

Packed with clean protein and amino acids, this vegan shake is designed to help your body repair and create lean muscle more effectively with its careful balance of ingredients. Vegan and free from whey, gluten, added sugars, soy, artificial flavours, colours and preservatives, it is delicious and naturally pre-biotic. Taken as part of a balanced diet, the formula can help boost metabolism and assist appetite control.

Take 1 scoop (32g) with water, milk or a milk alternative. Best taken after exercise in a smoothie. This product should be consumed as part of a balanced diet.

But wait! There's more!

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their EU has had for a couple months at least.

I'm waiting for a bunch of overdressed male instagrammers posting pictures with their whey.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think Hedi Slimane makes sense as a successor to Yves Saint Laurent - who else is doing that sort of mainstream chic/luxury fashion design at such a high level these days?

Thought Berge's point about H&M/Zara was interesting (i.e. that's where the action is these days). Feel like the trend, at least among NYC yuppie women these days, is to exclusively shop for clothes at those kinds of "high street" stores and then focus big spending on status symbol accessories (e.g. Chanel bag or a SLP biker jacket).

Seems to me that if he's upset about the decline of "real" luxury, haute couture, high design, etc. -- the worst offender is what Hedi Slimane is doing at SLP.

Realize Hedi *just* started doing couture, but SLP is still mediocre-made products selling on hype and marketing. Basically repackaging Seattle grunge and Southern California rocker culture and selling it at super high prices.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking for a Hender scheme white suede/pig skin cap and found a Hender scheme copy called "Heyday Design". Copy of a copy.

johanm

Reaction score

Seems to me that if he's upset about the decline of "real" luxury, haute couture, high design, etc. -- the worst offender is what Hedi Slimane is doing at SLP.

Realize Hedi *just* started doing couture, but SLP is still mediocre-made products selling on hype and marketing. Basically repackaging Seattle grunge and Southern California rocker culture and selling it at super high prices.

I interpreted him differently as saying that old school luxury/haute couture is now dead and irrelevant and has evolved into the sort of accessible/mainstream covetable luxury like what SLP specializes in, targeted at "active and modern women", in competition with Dior, Lanvin, Celine, etc., none of whom are currently doing it with the same impact as SLP. I thought his point about hype/marketing was to contrast against designers who lack an individual vision or thesis, which Hedi Slimane clearly has even if we don't like it. Finally I'm not sure that at any level he is talking about high design - doesn't seem like that intellectual stuff plays much of a role in his conception of fashion.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You can now buy protein at MrPorter. $60 Packed with clean protein and amino acids, this vegan shake is designed to help your body repair and create lean muscle more effectively with its careful balance of ingredients. Vegan and free from whey, gluten, added sugars, soy, artificial flavours, colours and preservatives, it is delicious and naturally pre-biotic. Taken as part of a balanced diet, the formula can help boost metabolism and assist appetite control.

Take 1 scoop (32g) with water, milk or a milk alternative. Best taken after exercise in a smoothie. This product should be consumed as part of a balanced diet.

But wait! There's more!
guys, quit posting snippets from The Onion. people here might believe it's real

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Bergé has been a Slimane fan for yrs, hell when TF has at YSL he said he preferred Slimane's shows. He's also a ******* asshole so who cares about his fogey opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads