• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i dunno i feel like a crazy person talking to you guys about this, i hope some people are enjoying my flailing. but seriously as i keep looking at this stuff I like it more and more. And I think it's pretty distinct from Margiela.

I'm enjoying it! I'd rather have a real convo about vetements, even if we don't totally agree, than ever read another discussion about sizing

also, I don't think you're flailing. you make some good points and now I'm going back and looking again. dammit, i dunno. if I look at stuff outside the show, like the stuff on Totokaelo, it looks really good, though paradoxically because toto makes it a lot more sophisticated when vetements actually said, "If there’s one word that’s taboo for us, it’s ‘sophistication."

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

love that one of the bands Apple and Hermes are offering on their collaboration is the double tour, which was one of Margiela's big hits for Hermes. How awesome is that? A band designed by Martin Margiela on the Apple Watch!

Doesn't it feel jarring though, for a brand so deeply steeped in tradition and unhurriedness it basically lives in its own time bubble ? Cape cod all the way.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying it! I'd rather have a real convo about vetements, even if we don't totally agree, than ever read another discussion about sizing

also, I don't think you're flailing. you make some good points and now I'm going back and looking again. dammit, i dunno. if I look at stuff outside the show, like the stuff on Totokaelo, it looks really good, though paradoxically because toto makes it a lot more sophisticated when vetements actually said, "If there’s one word that’s taboo for us, it’s ‘sophistication."
Well, Totokaelo, for better or worse, makes everything look very Totokaelo.

This piece, though, out of the "sophisticated" context of Totokaelo's styling and product pictures, looks very Courtney Love in mourning:

I guess, if push came to shove, I could not say that any of these clothes are truly terrible. They just don't seem particularly interesting to me. This dress, for example, I feel like I've seen it before, and frankly, not that long ago. and frankly, this doesn't even look "rethought" more than just "reissued".

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that one of the bands Apple and Hermes are offering on their collaboration is the double tour, which was one of Margiela's big hits for Hermes. How awesome is that? A band designed by Martin Margiela on the Apple Watch!
Except that I have grown to really dislike any number of Apple products.

I would like to see a band designed by Hermes for G-Shock. That, that I would buy.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below : hyperbole

sip and fok maybe a part of the dislike for you guys stems from how styling/editorial driven the brand is? it's a lot about the look and the attitude and the feeling i think, a bit more than the garments in some cases.

Yeah definitely, and I think we're kinda talking past each other on this. But as Fok pointed out it's kinda hard to dissociate the way the brand choose to present itself from the product when it relies so much on attitude. And I agree that deep down it's got little to do with Margiela but visually the language is there and so of course the association is made and everyone is going crazy because everything else is so sedate at the moment. And at the end of the day you gotta wonder how exactly is this different from HMxMMM if you remove the price tags, I mean it kinda feels like they're leveraging a secondhand subversive image that goes nowhere to sell tshirts and jeans. And then they say it's 'just clothes' but that's just part of the act. VETEMENTS. And I think Bless has humor but these guys, they're way too serious about sales for that.

And I don't even dislike the collections so.****.this.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from Wings+Horns announcing their new collaboration with Danner. It seems like designing collaborations with Wings+Horns are super easy to do. "We're gonna make it black. All black. What leathers do you have that are black?"

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
W+H x Dayton...

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I don't hate these, which makes me question hypebeast meter.

Just got an email from Wings+Horns announcing their new collaboration with Danner.  It seems like designing collaborations with Wings+Horns are super easy to do.  "We're gonna make it black.  All black.  What leathers do you have that are black?"

Better than the W+H x Adidas collab, amiright? :rimshot:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a bit late to the editorials email party but I think @gdl203 's NMWA and @ChrisNeedSupply 's NS does pretty good editorials emails.
I agree with that, but the fact is that they interest me personally a lot less than their product emails.

Ragechester

Reaction score
Just got an email from Wings+Horns announcing their new collaboration with Danner. It seems like designing collaborations with Wings+Horns are super easy to do. "We're gonna make it black. All black. What leathers do you have that are black?"

True but the Canada Goose collaboration last year had a parka in "caviar" olive that I thought was an unbelievably different and beautiful color that I haven't really seen much of elsewhere, really wish I had copped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads