• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of you fantasizing over wristwatches. Or at least the Picture you painted for me.

Vc ultra fine with Lemaire pieces would look, uh, ultra fine (sorry)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I find wearing expensive watches to be really uncomfortable.  It's not a few hundred dollars, or a few grand, of stuff that has essentially zero resale value anyway, that way clothes are. For the most part, one you buy clothes, you may as well wear the crap out of them, since the more value you get out of them, and the more you value them as parts of your wardrboe, the less valuable they become for resale.

On the other hand... a $100K watch, a $50K watch, a $10K watch, honestly, even a $5K watch, I'm scared of swiping my hand and scratching something and decreasing the value by a good chunk of my mortgage.

Wait, not sure I understand your first paragraph. Watches have a lot of resale value -- that's what makes purchasing them feel a bit more safe than clothing or shoes. Many can even accrue value.

Regarding the durability, some of these watches were literally built for war, or diving to the bottom of the ocean, or doing some crazy activity that most of us will never do. My dad's Rolex went with him through the Vietnam War, Cambodian genocide, and Iranian Revolution. Thing still works fine.

I personally like vintage watches precisely because they have a bunch of dings and patinas.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think once you start fetishizing Native American, repro, Japanese indigo, Guidi leather sneakers, you forfeit your right to call other people's consumer interests weird.
I think that watches and cars are particularly wierd because of the "investment" aspect. I certainly don't think of my clothing in terms of resale value.

You should start it. It would be a great thread to also reminisce about the good ol days before X designer sold their company/quality went down, etc etc.
It would just be a thread for @Synthese to lament that fact that he was still a child when Cloak was in its heyday.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think that watches and cars are particularly wierd because of the "investment" aspect.  I certainly don't think of my clothing in terms of resale value.

I dunno. Every day someone on CM says they just invested in a pair of Allen Edmonds.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, not sure I understand your first paragraph. Watches have a lot of resale value -- that's what makes purchasing them feel a bit more safe than clothing or shoes. Many can even accrue value.

Regarding the durability, some of these watches were literally built for war, or diving to the bottom of the ocean, or doing some crazy activity that most of us will never do. My dad's Rolex went with him through the Vietnam War, Cambodian genocide, and Iranian Revolution. Thing still works fine.

I personally like vintage watches precisely because they have a bunch of dings and patinas.
That's because my first paragraph had tons of typos and I'm tired.

What I mean is that I have zero care if my clothes get dinged up. In fact, it might even make it cooler. I don't think of my clothes as an "investment". I buy clothes purely because I enjoy wearing them. I think that I've posted many times before that I virtually never resell anything. So, I don't worry about my clothes. I put them on, and forget about them. Except when I look in the mirror, and then I think "Man, what a cool jacket."

Watches, precisely because thy retain or even accrue value, make me psychologically uncomfortable, like wearing pants that I feel may, or may not split down the ass if I move too quickly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. Every day someone on CM says they just invested in a pair of Allen Edmonds.
Yeah, I know. I think that is super dumb. My working hypothesis is that this is a vestigial artifact of America's puritanical past, which demands a justification/rationalization of what is a fundamentally frivolous purchase.

This coming from a guy who got Visvim boots and a Margiela bracelet in the mail today. Can't even wear them to most offices (Styleforum is very lax).

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that watches and cars are particularly wierd because of the "investment" aspect. I certainly don't think of my clothing in terms of resale value.

It would just be a thread for @Synthese to lament that fact that he was still a child when Cloak was in its heyday.
That makes me wonder, how many people were around during Rick's early years and are still around to discuss it? hardly any I think it's safe to say.

I hardly never check out CM outside of the NMWA thread, and even I found this funny.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always think about resale value when it comes to clothes. I never buy anything with the intent to resell it, but sometimes a piece simply doesn't work out and like being able to move on. I view the buying process as part of an extended trial. If I wasn't able to get at least some money back clothing would be a very expensive hobby and a lot of decent clothes would be I'm a landfill. Nothing makes me more anxious than opening my closet and finding something that doesn't thrill me - I'd rather sell it than wait for the off-chance I wanna wear it again. Never regret selling something, own too many cool things and there's always something on the horizon

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think once you start fetishizing Native American, repro, Japanese indigo, Guidi leather sneakers, you forfeit your right to call other people's consumer interests weird.

Lol this is like when I hear religious people in my family speak about how incredulous other religions are. I'm like bro we believe in a super Santa in the sky, let's not get too judgey

do you ever wonder if watches fetishize us

I hate you so much

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lange or VC is next for me. :satisfied:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riding the train right now across town to the fabric market, gonna pick up something to line my guidi bag. I want a natural-dyed fabric (kind of expensive at $50/meter), deciding between persimmon (burnt orange/brown), sumi ink (grey-ish), and indigo for a black bag. Leaning towards persimmon just for the contrast

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes me wonder, how many people were around during Rick's early years and are still around to discuss it? hardly any I think it's safe to say.

I hardly never check out CM outside of the NMWA thread, and even I found this funny.
Me, @sipang ,
@Parker , amoung others. There are a lot of fogeys around here.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
^ sipang and i are same age (64, and we grew up playing bball in sint agatha)

Yeah, I know.  I think that is super dumb.  My working hypothesis is that this is a vestigial artifact of America's puritanical past, which demands a justification/rationalization of what is a fundamentally frivolous purchase.

i'm glad you sensibly acknowledging that. no matter how many semantic hoops people want to jump through , it's really just rationalizing an emotional response.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads