• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donut

Reaction score

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone use a steamer for their clothes?

How well does it work and is there a model you would recommend?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anyone use a steamer for their clothes?

How well does it work and is there a model you would recommend?

Jiffy is popular.

Not the best idea on tailored clothes, like suits and sport coats, cause you can take all the shaping out. Can also pucker the seams if you're not careful. But fine on shirts and most casual clothes. Also a bit safer if you use it judiciously and don't go wild with it.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wash and "press" my shirts using a steamer, have been for the past 3+ years now

I use a variety of this one here: http://www.amazon.com/Steamfast-SF-407-Fabric-Steamer/dp/B000BQRD0I

Thought it died a month ago but got it working again. The steam is even and hot, does a really good job IMO. You're not going to get the finest pressing as done at a professional shop, but the money saved is well worth it. I steam all my Kamakura shirts at home FWIW and I've been asked several times whether I go by the dry cleaner regularly. If you want your shirt looking like it came out of the packaging when you first unwrapped it from the store then stick with the dry cleaner.. I've been pretty paranoid in the beginning of using the steamer to try and get every crease and wrinkle. But the more time has passed I like to get the front, collar, and back pressed nicely and just run the steamer through the arms. It's going to get worn and beat throughout the day anyways. Be prepared to take time out of your weekend, I typically spend 45 minutes to 1 hour. In the beginning it would take me 2 to 3 hours.

I'll agree with dieworkwear in that for casual clothing or if you want to do some type of spot press it is good.

Anything else I go to the dry cleaner (usually just pants).

I've been meaning to try out http://www.ravefabricare.com/ for some of my more precious items.

@jet also has a recommendation, I checked it out but am not ready to spend several hundred.

If anyone has a good 'solution' for cleaning a steamer please post. TIA

Last edited:

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this would mainly just be for shirts and maybe some light knitwear.

@gettoasty do you have the higher end model from that brand with the garment clip? Or do you manage to get a nice press on the collar and cuffs without a clip?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All I use is the foam pad. Usually I just flip up the collar and run the steam on both sides. It helps soften and remove wrinkles and creases. Kamakura shirts naturally have a nice roll so that helps. On the hanger my experience is the collar is going to crease a little regardless like at the side or where the point meets the button. (I've been using Ikea hangers for 6+ years now and the shape could probably be curved some more.) Upon wear I just run my fingers along the collar to smooth out the fabric and it usually does the job.

The collar depends on the design IMO more so how you launder the shirt. I love the Kamakura roll so I don't get bother too much with minor creases, it still looks nice after so many wears.

I find it easier to iron all my spread and point collars, and they typically do not have the chest pocket so it's really easy to go through one pass at the front.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there's been a lot of discussion about metrics lately, I find myself wondering after the Unionmade Archive sale if places look at metrics to determine how many customers who buy for the first time during the sales later convert to buying products at full price. I would guess the percentage would be very low, especially with the Archive sale, but I wonder how low. It'd be especially interesting to look at it longer term, since the people buying during the sale might not be able to afford full price now, but may return later as their income grows.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I would say is that there's nothing wrong with having a segment of our users/readers purchase only during markdowns and sales. When we put stuff on sale, we do need people to come in and buy that merchandise. A good number of those people will be regular customers who want to grab another thing or two now that the price is attractive, but we also have people who only buy on sale.

We would go bankrupt if all of our users were waiting for sales, but we need the sale shoppers too

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking forward to seeing some of you this Saturday for our Trunk Show! If there's anyone that's feeling heroic, we'd love to have a couple more volunteers to help with our rapid breakdown after the show. If any of you are arriving towards the end of the show and want to stick around and help out, you'll have my undying gratitude and we'll treat you to some special snacks or something. If you're up for helping out, either shoot me a PM or an email at eic at styleforum dot net

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads