• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dear anyone from Texas: I am seriously considering flying to Austin to buy cowboy boots. Where would I stay/what should I do?

Don't know anything about cowboy boots, but Simon at PS did a feature on Lee Miller

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2013/06/how-bespoke-cowboy-boots-are-made-lee-miller.html

DWFII on this board is also a bespoke custom shoemaker, and he specializes in cowboy boots. From what I've heard, he's very well respected among cowboy boot makers.

This woman flew to America and lived in a cold car just to learn from him:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I asked him once for his price on bespoke shoes (non-cowboy boots, but like a chukka or something). I can't remember the price, but it was really reasonable given the work and other options on the market. Basically in the neighborhood of a pair of Edward Greens. His cowboy boot prices might be different

No idea about the boots but the photographer who took these is a legit great guy and I think you'd like him Synth:

https://www.lucchese.com/thelastword/2016/9/1/ranching-in-west-texas/

Wow, that's awesome.

FWIW, I contacted Lucchese to see how much they'd sell a pair of MTO Jonah boots (specifically black suede). Was quoted $900.

Still thinking of getting the tan ones.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Love pockets on ocbds, **** is handy as **** for a night out stylin all over fools.

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my pair of Jonahs a few weeks ago and have been wearing them nearly everyday. Perfect boot for me. Ended up sizing down .5

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't know anything about cowboy boots, but Simon at PS did a feature on Lee Miller

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2013/06/how-bespoke-cowboy-boots-are-made-lee-miller.html

DWFII on this board is also a bespoke custom shoemaker, and he specializes in cowboy boots. From what I've heard, he's very well respected among cowboy boot makers.

The place I'm interested in seeing is Heritage Boot Co, which I think I shared with you. The owner/founder is an Irish guy who apparently worked on Savile Row in some capacity (I may have read Lobb as well), then moved to Texas to make cowboy boots. I don't believe he/they does custom, though.

Quote:
TTS, I'd say. I may have had bad luck. The first pair I tried was a 12 in their Black Cherry, which I ordered from a shop in Aspen back in January. Unfortunately, there were some QC issues as well as some wonky fit problems, so they went back. I later ordered a pair in 13 from Cowboy Chief that arrived last week, but have decided that they're just too big. Either I'm in between sizes (a 12.5 doesn't exist), or the first pair I tried was just off.

Got my pair of Jonahs a few weeks ago and have been wearing them nearly everyday. Perfect boot for me. Ended up sizing down .5
Interesting. Makes me wonder if I should try a 12 again. Either way, I'm not sure I would purchase them at the 800$ price, and probably wouldn't do custom for 900$, but at the 467$ I found them for I thought they were pretty good.

Francks

Reaction score
I plan to buy a Fox umbrella made to order (stick). Handle will most likely be leather.

Is a tip-cup really necessary in that particular case? I prefer the look without, but I'm concerned about the possible lack of protection from water drippings when the umbrella is closed and still wet.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TTS, I'd say. I may have had bad luck. The first pair I tried was a 12 in their Black Cherry, which I ordered from a shop in Aspen back in January. Unfortunately, there were some QC issues as well as some wonky fit problems, so they went back. I later ordered a pair in 13 from Cowboy Chief that arrived last week, but have decided that they're just too big. Either I'm in between sizes (a 12.5 doesn't exist), or the first pair I tried was just off. 

Interesting. Makes me wonder if I should try a 12 again. Either way, I'm not sure I would purchase them at the 800$ price, and probably wouldn't do custom for 900$, but at the 467$ I found them for I thought they were pretty good.

I see. I thought you ordered from lucchese' webstore. Maybe getting boots directly from Themis a better route?

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see. I thought you ordered from lucchese' webstore. Maybe getting boots directly from Themis a better route?
As far as I understand, ordering from CC accomplishes the same thing. Lucchese still makes the boots to order to fulfill your purchase. I know I'm not the first person to have QC issues with Lucchese, regardless of the vendor.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know my girlfriend had a pair custom made a while ago (4 years ago in june) at the Lucchese store in Park City. For what that's worth, she liked hers a lot and they came out exactly as she wanted them

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know my girlfriend had a pair custom made a while ago (4 years ago in june) at the Lucchese store in Park City. For what that's worth, she liked hers a lot and they came out exactly as she wanted them
I am by no means well-educated, but based on my own limited internet research over the past few months it sounds as though it's fundamentally a solid product, but that boot-lovers now think of it as overpriced for what you receive, and that QC/longevity issues have become more regular - similar to when other high-level shoemakers have broadened a bit too far. I imagine the product is now more in the vein of "if you like them, buy them," rather than a "must have/best of."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am by no means well-educated, but based on my own limited internet research over the past few months it sounds as though it's fundamentally a solid product, but that boot-lovers now think of it as overpriced for what you receive, and that QC/longevity issues have become more regular - similar to when other high-level shoemakers have broadened a bit too far. I imagine the product is now more in the vein of "if you like them, buy them," rather than a "must have/best of."
My experience with many of these companies leads me to believe that QA/QC does not change that much with growth, and because of the nature of the companies, can be actually fairly high compared to industry standards.
1) The "decreasing quality" narrative is an intuitively appealing one to "original customers", since it reinforces their belief that they were the smart/good customer to have found the brand early, and justifies that same customer's disappointment that they have less emotional ownership of the brand, and that the growth of the brand that they are disappointed in is manifested in a deterioration of the core value of that brand.
2) Customer service for a very small brand sometimes suffers as the company scales up.

Interesting to me is that I've seen this from all types of customers, from those who supported a brand from its inception, to those who discovered the brand when it has already grown considerably, but is moving into different categories.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh that's right. Those look nice too, and offered at a much more attractive price point.

Wish I was able to get those suede ones for $467. Looks like they're not even offering the 15% off they had during Christmas either.

I plan to buy a Fox umbrella made to order (stick). Handle will most likely be leather.

Is a tip-cup really necessary in that particular case? I prefer the look without, but I'm concerned about the possible lack of protection from water drippings when the umbrella is closed and still wet.

I have a leather handle umbrella that's not finished with a tip cup. Just ask them to extend the leather up the shaft a bit more, past the handle (I assume they'll do this by default anyway). Haven't had any problems with mine and I've owned it a few years.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here is an example of the model with no tipcup to "prevent" water from being in contact with the leather handle (but with a collar that won't be present in the final version).

I assume you mean the first photo has no tip cup? The second and third photos, set behind your spoiler, show a tip cup. Assuming we're talking about the same thing. The tip cup is the little metal "cup" that finishes the end of the handle on a two-piece umbrella.

I haven't had any problems with mine, but you may want to talk to Fox to get their opinion. Maybe it depends on the leather. Mine doesn't soak up water very easily.

That said, I've never really had the handle get wet. It's fine when furled, even in restaurants/ cabs after being in the rain, and once I get home, I just set it open and allow it to dry. To me, the tip cup is more of an aesthetic thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads