• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coverchord, Rendezvous Store (Paris), Chcm, Namu, Southstore, Graphlayer, Maidens, Mohawk, Ven. Space (hasn’t opened yet but based on the brand list alone it’s in a different league), to name a few.
Most of these stores just sell the same brands as each other, many of which nmwa also sells. As someone who also shops at namu and chcm I don't really see why these stores are "so much better". They're all stores that sell $500 "big shirt" and "big pant" from small substack approved labels except some of them will have a more zeitgeisty brand like a Lemaire or auralee.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
@almostoldguy_13 Most of the stores you listed lack personality and feel very flavor of the day in their curation, I was bored just looking at the designers list. And sometimes the next best thing ever is the same thing forever
I’m just looking to get my hands on clothes and those stores carry a lot of them. I agree that NMWA has an identity and point of view. It’s no doubt a unique store but I’m not even considering store personality here.

Rookoobay

Reaction score
can't help but notice those shops are scattered around the world. it'd be pretty cool to have an online community (away from social media + everything that encourages/reinforces *cough*) where employees of those shops are engaged and have been active in for many, many years...

Reaction score
I’m just looking to get my hands on clothes and those stores carry a lot of them. I agree that NMWA has an identity and point of view. It’s no doubt a unique store but I’m not even considering store personality here.
I’ve never been blown away or excited while reading an online retail store’s list of brands either. So I guess I agree that it’s boring but you are probably bored with most things due to your exquisitely superior taste.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
Most of these stores just sell the same brands as each other, many of which nmwa also sells. As someone who also shops at namu and chcm I don't really see why these stores are "so much better". They're all stores that sell $500 "big shirt" and "big pant" from small substack approved labels except some of them will have a more zeitgeisty brand like a Lemaire or auralee.
I'm glad to see more and more people on the forums wake up to this type of thing.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NMWA carries some amazing brands that aren’t accessible elsewhere in NA. Another thing that sets it apart as a retailer are the pre-order and MTO options where I can literally get the only one of something exactly how I want it. What other shops offer this to the same degree?

Sure, I do think it’s a bit much that some of their customers blow huge wads of cash each season, sometimes only to resell unworn items a year or two later. But, I think you get customers with more money than sense/style anywhere you look whether it’s Inis Meain and Valstar or Celine and Chrome Hearts.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha. I really don’t. I like the store. Just don’t understand the impulse to only buy the same things over and over again. Personally I assumed this place would be full of more people like me who have become addicted to hunting the “next best thing ever” over and over again. I also spend way too much of my free time going through seasonal collections, finding the pieces I want and then digging through lists of stockists so I can purchase them and I’m always underwhelmed by the choices they make and then annoyed by their fans acting like are so lucky to be able to let these dudes dress them.
Why does this make you annoyed? You don’t sound like their target customer, why not just leave it at that?

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NMWA carries some amazing brands that aren’t accessible elsewhere in NA. Another thing that sets it apart as a retailer are the pre-order and MTO options where I can literally get the only one of something exactly how I want it. What other shops offer this to the same degree?

Sure, I do think it’s a bit much that some of their customers blow huge wads of cash each season, sometimes only to resell unworn items a year or two later. But, I think you get customers with more money than sense/style anywhere you look whether it’s Inis Meain and Valstar or Celine and Chrome Hearts.
Celine and Chrome hearts, you say?

bugaboo

Reaction score
i'm in my beige shoe era and have been wearing the birkenstock boston all summer long. now that winter is coming around, can anyone recommend any beige color winter boots? was thinking something along the lines of the visvim beard boots:

image_1127a4d9-5f36-4baf-b12b-d394938d2e13_1080x.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm in my beige shoe era and have been wearing the birkenstock boston all summer long. now that winter is coming around, can anyone recommend any beige color winter boots? was thinking something along the lines of the visvim beard boots:

image_1127a4d9-5f36-4baf-b12b-d394938d2e13_1080x.jpg
A lot of my footwear is beige (or white or light gery, never dark). Visvim Virgils are always good. Maybe the Hoka Kaha 2 GTX if you want something actually water resistant, though: https://huckberry.com/store/hoka/category/p/86223-kaha-2-gtx-hiking-boot
I have the lows and love them. I also have the goat suede beige Visvim Virgils, which are super comfy and nice and 0% water resistant.

bugaboo

Reaction score
A lot of my footwear is beige (or white or light gery, never dark). Visvim Virgils are always good. Maybe the Hoka Kaha 2 GTX if you want something actually water resistant, though: https://huckberry.com/store/hoka/category/p/86223-kaha-2-gtx-hiking-boot
I have the lows and love them. I also have the goat suede beige Visvim Virgils, which are super comfy and nice and 0% water resistant.
I have the Kaha in black. Looking for something less busy/techy. Also have Virgils in brown and black leathers lol

Was doing some online window shopping and maybe a Chelsea like this: https://www.redwingshoes.com/heritage/mens/classic-chelsea/Classic-Chelsea-03192.html

Read mixed reviews on the synthetics used inside of the shoe plus I don't think they'd do very well in snow.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdick222