• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My unasked for advice, but having love fashion since I was a little kid, and involved in the industry since the late 90s: no need to push it. I go through occasional periods of not caring much at all - like, nothing new seems appealing, and then I get into other things, usually adjacent to fashion, like accessories, watches, or pocket knives, but often in the areas between fashion and another interest, like the many BJJ gear/fashion collaborations. When specific things appeal to me, I just let myself gravitate to them. It's good to just let things evolve. That's the way to continue loving this stuff for a long time.
Hmm alright, I'll take it. I'll combine this with troika's post and just chill out for now.

I think it's the first time I can't think of anything else to buy, which is rare.

Clay J

Reaction score
You guys think this show will be breatheable or not because of gore Tex? More breathable than Salomon XT-6 is my best guess. I realized today I don’t like the XT-6 because of the sock liner like fit.

Just saw some of the speed zips at my local Sierra store, and it looks like there are a good number of the other 1TRL models on the website if <$50 is more appetizing of a price to pay.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They sold out 🤭

@LA Guy those new shoes arrive yet? Why did you pick those Merrell anyways? The Beltaff kind of turned me off. Can share a little more about the collab and decision?

edit:
What size would I be in Merrell? Thinking about size 9.5 US but maybe 9 would work.

• I take a 42 in Birkenstock Boston or 9-9.5 US (perfect on my foot IMO especially with the cork footbed)
  • 1 pair of Brooks in 9.5 US (love the fit once broken in)
  • 1 pair of Salomons XT-6 in 10 US (the sock lining feels constricting and the shoe causes me to walk on my toes it seems, not comfortable during long day on feet)
  • 1 pair of Blundstone 510 in 8.5 US (need size 9 in the 500 stout colorway it seems) (comfortable with the right socks, otherwise, foot still move around in the shoe a tad)

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sold out 🤭

@LA Guy those new shoes arrive yet? Why did you pick those Merrell anyways? The Beltaff kind of turned me off. Can share a little more about the collab and decision?
I just liked the design and color, that black hued blue nubuck. So many hiking shoes are in 50 shades of brown (and olive, which I guess is green-brown) and I find them boring.

Re. decision to buy? I just liked them. I do these things by vibe and don't try to justify my decisions. I like Belstaff. I have stuff as old as from 2004 or so. I like it in the same way as I like Stone Island, CP Company, etc... i find one culture's reading into and reinterpretation of another. So, and Italian brand originally from England, working with a very American outdoor footwear company? Sign me up.

tldr: I thought that the design was cool and liked the blue nubuck.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I associate Belstaff with MrPorter, which I find not to be cool. Maybe it's just what MP buys.

What about sizing, see OP?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I associate Belstaff with MrPorter, which I find not to be cool. Maybe it's just what MP buys.

What about sizing, see OP?
I got a size 11, which is my size in Merrell. I can also fit into a 10.5, but having extra toe room in hiking boots is better. Blackened toenail is not good for anyone.

Mr Porter can take the coolest stuff and style it in a way that appeals to the most boring junior analyst in midtown Manhattan.or second most boring techbro in San Jose.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking a some final sale pairs, maybe these two are a tad tame but look cool to me.

Kith does take some crisp photos

Dibidoolandas

Reaction score
Was looking at the Sandro labor day sale, some nice looking items, but checking out the materials and most of their stuff is polyester, acetate, elastane... Look at this polo https://us.sandro-paris.com/en/p/short-sleeve-knitted-polo-shirt/SHPTR00382_153.html

Final sale at $135 for an acetate and polyamide polo? I sound like a grumpy old man but people really just don't care about materials I guess. Just seems like you might as well buy from SHEIN at that point.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was looking at the Sandro labor day sale, some nice looking items, but checking out the materials and most of their stuff is polyester, acetate, elastane... Look at this polo https://us.sandro-paris.com/en/p/short-sleeve-knitted-polo-shirt/SHPTR00382_153.html

Final sale at $135 for an acetate and polyamide polo? I sound like a grumpy old man but people really just don't care about materials I guess. Just seems like you might as well buy from SHEIN at that point.
The acetate is made from sustainably produced cellulose, a wood pulp product, polyamide is there for strength and durability, and elaslane is there for comfortable wear. The material composition tells you fairly little about the quality of the materials, much less the quality of manufacturing, design, environmental responsibility, etc...

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sandro is hit and miss. I only have outerwear from them, a couple of leather jackets and two coats. The coats are both 100% wool, one of them Harris tweed. But some coats def. have a big percentage of synthetics which I doubt are there for any reason other than cost cutting.

And never buy at full price from them, everything seems to make it to deep sales in full size run.

And yeah don’t say that acetate is a bad material over at the Jacques Marie Mage thread, we pay $$$ for a chunk of it plus some plastic lenses. 😬

(although being a fan of natural materials I do have a pair of Tom Ford sunglasses too made of horn that I cherish)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Genuinely curious about this: NMWA basically stocks the same brands season after season all of which I would say are anywhere from decent to pretty good. Outside of Kaptain Sunshine outerwear which can be somewhat interesting, everything they stock is a basically a knit polo, pleated pants, basic button down shirts and practically every season a hideous fatigue jacket. Yet every single time new stock is teased on here specifically, the same guys go bonkers as if they have never seen anything like it before just chomping at the bit to buy something when they must have a closet full of the same pants and shirts in every possible color (“ikiji polo! Fujito knit tee! Wythe shirt that fits so goofy but pictures well!! Turtle neck sweaters in different colors!”). I buy from there from time to time but styleforum cats that literally only buy clothes from NMWA please explain what I’m missing here. I wholeheartedly support purchasing too many polos, or whatever the piece may be but not the same exact piece from the same maker from the same store season after season while refusing to acknowledge that there are numerous other dope (so much doper) places to get men’s clothes from. And yes, this shouldn’t bother me but for some reason it does. It just does. Also thought about posting this in the NMWA forum but decided it wasn’t the proper place for it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genuinely curious about this: NMWA basically stocks the same brands season after season all of which I would say are anywhere from decent to pretty good. Outside of Kaptain Sunshine outerwear which can be somewhat interesting, everything they stock is a basically a knit polo, pleated pants, basic button down shirts and practically every season a hideous fatigue jacket. Yet every single time new stock is teased on here specifically, the same guys go bonkers as if they have never seen anything like it before just chomping at the bit to buy something when they must have a closet full of the same pants and shirts in every possible color (“ikiji polo! Fujito knit tee! Wythe shirt that fits so goofy but pictures well!! Turtle neck sweaters in different colors!”). I buy from there from time to time but styleforum cats that literally only buy clothes from NMWA please explain what I’m missing here. I wholeheartedly support purchasing too many polos, or whatever the piece may be but not the same exact piece from the same maker from the same store season after season while refusing to acknowledge that there are numerous other dope (so much doper) places to get men’s clothes from. And yes, this shouldn’t bother me but for some reason it does. It just does. Also thought about posting this in the NMWA forum but decided it wasn’t the proper place for it.
Um, some people are superfans. This goes for every brand and every retailer, regardless of whether you think that it's dope or not. No Man has built a really strong community here. That's pretty much the whole deal.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, you kind of made the point yourself. They stock good staples and the people who like them want them in different colors and seasonal materials. Most of the brands they stock fall into the seasonal variations on a theme type and not "this season is inspired by the russian ballet and next season is paris teenagers doing heroine in the 90s." Personally I'm a little ODed on the double chest flap pocket shirt jacket style which they've been buying a lot of but I dunno I still like the brands they stock? Maybe I am that boring shopper where I just want to see the new DBF balloon pant in another material or inis meain tunic color but I think that's where nmwa found their audience?

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdick222