• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Ha, people are bringing those shoes back ironically? Actually, I can visualize those shoes being worn in a hip 90s/Y2K fit.

As a rule, it seems the more that an apparel item/style/silouette becomes hated, the more it is assured to come back in style (perhaps with a twist in the attitude with which it is worn). In the peak of 2010s #menswear, bicycle toe shoes were frequently mentioned in a short list of disgusting untouchables that must be eschewed. Probably a guarantee that they would be desired again.
If you mean the fashion version of Cole Haan monstrosities Raf did that a few yrs ago and Balenciaga more recently (afaik)... I don't do Y2K so don't care, I sorta like black/slouchy stuff more than a few months ago though.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanessa Friedman's thoughtful responses to the inane comments of people who are either unaware of, or worse, refuse to acknowledge the validity of, the semiotics of fashion, shows a saintly amount of restraint. I didn't write the article and I want to reach out and smack some of the commentators.

Nice shoutout to Styleforum's own @dieworkwear and also John Elliott. I remember when Styleforum was mentioned in the NYT, first time in 2005, and a lot of members came one at that time.
The dude seriously looks like a sf noob who bought a shearling coat because he saw that old photo of Synthese in one, and is completely unaware that it fits poorly.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dude seriously looks like a sf noob who bought a shearling coat because he saw that old photo of Synthese in one, and is completely unaware that it fits poorly.
Dear Zuck, if you are reading this, I will sell you Styleforum for a fraction of the price of a superyacht and throw in MMA and BJJ training with some pretty decent people and some world class people. Plus, you will have free fashion consults forever.

I think that it's believable that he is getting into fashion though. Brands like Overland, Buck Mason, and John Elliott are very online, and popular with the intersection of people who are somewhat interested in fashion, are in tech, and have decent, but not really upper class, spending power or the propensity to spend on fashion in an outsized way. Zuck spends time with Meta people and with MMA and BJJ people, who are much more likely to be into those rather small, independent American brands rather than luxury brands.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this jacket in middle school!

I'm waiting for somebody to begin bringing back those Starter brand pullovers from the '90s. I'd love to get a Red Wings or Lions one but bonus points if I could get one for a now defunct team like the Nordiques or Whalers!

Charlotte Hornets anybody?
View attachment 2172595

FWIW, I think I recall listening to an interview with Yuki Matsuda, the guy who owns Meg Company brands like Yuketen and Monitaly, that he bought the Starter trademark and some of their designs a few years back, or something like that. So maybe there's hope!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For context - I stream random shows that are basically just background for my workday. So, right now, since new shows right now either require require full attention or are just unwatchable, I've been streaming Grey's Anatomy.

Listening to Snow Patrol having a millennial moment

Stream of consciousness: Saddam Hussein, Yes We Can, Tumblr, 3x1 weave raw selvedge jeans, Tom from Myspace, Thom Browne., Gastropubs, heritage brands, Nudie jeans, The Killers Hedi Slimane Dior, SXSW, socially acceptable Kanye, Post-racial.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
For context - I stream random shows that are basically just background for my workday. So, right now, since new shows right now either require require full attention or are just unwatchable, I've been streaming Grey's Anatomy.

Listening to Snow Patrol having a millennial moment

Stream of consciousness: Saddam Hussein, Yes We Can, Tumblr, 3x1 weave raw selvedge jeans, Tom from Myspace, Thom Browne., Gastropubs, heritage brands, Nudie jeans, The Killers Hedi Slimane Dior, SXSW, socially acceptable Kanye, Post-racial.
I was thinking the other day on my drive to work when the last real fashion movement for men happened and this is the last time period I can think of where it seemed there was a real intersection of music, fashion, and entertainment. I just can't think of anything new since then that I wouldn't categorize as costume.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day on my drive to work when the last real fashion movement for men happened and this is the last time period I can think of where it seemed there was a real intersection of music, fashion, and entertainment. I just can't think of anything new since then that I wouldn't categorize as costume.
A great philosopher once said "We're all born naked. The rest is drag".

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2173135
Thinking of getting this shirt. Thoughts on pairings? I've some black jeans and black cowboy boots. May work for sexy or sleazy vibe.

Sounds uncomfortable for summer though. I can't find any velour pants that'd fit my big thighs.

Also have baggy poplin khakis, but ehhhh on that one.

Would love recommendations.

Maybe it’s just me, but snakeskin plus black jeans and cowboy boots is Nick cage in Wild at Heart. So I think some green fatigues or blue jeans might be a better direction

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White or off white jeans and black boots could look great too
Will keep in mind!
Maybe it’s just me, but snakeskin plus black jeans and cowboy boots is Nick cage in Wild at Heart. So I think some green fatigues or blue jeans might be a better direction
I googled that movie. Wow that looks awesome, I'd rock that look.

I've baggy khakis and I love wearing green fatigues. So it sounds like this shirt may be more versatile than I thought.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
I'm waiting for somebody to begin bringing back those Starter brand pullovers from the '90s. I'd love to get a Red Wings or Lions one but bonus points if I could get one for a now defunct team like the Nordiques or Whalers!

View attachment 2172595

FWIW, I think I recall listening to an interview with Yuki Matsuda, the guy who owns Meg Company brands like Yuketen and Monitaly, that he bought the Starter trademark and some of their designs a few years back, or something like that. So maybe there's hope!

jaaz16

Reaction score
Can anyone ID these sneakers?

IMG_6016.jpeg

elongatedskull

Reaction score

View attachment 2172595

I picked up a Broncos one on Etsy after I attended a game in Denver in 2015! One day I was wearing it and noticed someone had sewn a lighter into the sleeve lining, assumedly for concert smuggling. My wife feels secondhand embarrassment when I wear it but it is quite comfortable.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owned a NY Jets starter in the early 90’s. I always found it ofd that it wasn’t a local team like the raiders or 49ers, in hindsight I don’t think I’ve ever seen these two teams starters irl.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics