• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peak 2000 mid market fashion moment just occurred to me: Asians of all sorts convening at Armani Exchange (A/X) to guy leather car coats. Full disclosure, I have one. In a burgundy color.
I never really liked A/X because it always had the stupid logos all over the place. I had one A/X short sleeve button up shirt back in the day that was logoless.

A lot of my Asian friends also wore Kenneth Cole if they couldn't afford A/X.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been told that I look like Kramer more than once.

I took it as a massive compliment. I had to actually google what era he took his clothing inspo from, and it sounds like 1950s and 1960s, which sounds about right. I think the wild curly hair probably adds to the look.

casterofdreams

Reaction score
nice article about the rise of big pants, by Jonah Wiener of blackbird spyplane:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/03/magazine/big-pants-style.html

nothing that this crowd is unfamiliar with but it’s amusing to read some of the comments
I read that article the other day. As much as I see the trends going towards wider silhouettes, I’m still going to wear pants that have a tapered fit. Not skinny in any way, but a cleaner look that doesn’t use extra fabric.

I used to wear wider pants when I was younger but that was because I was hiding behind bigger clothing to hide my body insecurities (junior HS especially and HS kids to some extent can be brutal - I was a “husky” kid). Wearing tapered pants is a way to go against all that even though I’m in my mid-thirties.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any good looking really comfortable sneakers these days? I wear my Hoka Cliftons on long walks around the city but they aren't particularly cool. The Margiela x Reeboks that were cheap on Yoox I liked but hurt my feet. Common Projects dont have any support, and with an insole they are too tight. Nike's dont fit my foot well.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any good looking really comfortable sneakers these days? I wear my Hoka Cliftons on long walks around the city but they aren't particularly cool. The Margiela x Reeboks that were cheap on Yoox I liked but hurt my feet. Common Projects dont have any support, and with an insole they are too tight. Nike's dont fit my foot well.
Kind of hard to narrow it down based on the above, but Asics could be a good starting point. Maybe check out 1130, 2160 or Kayano 14 which are all super comfortable and have the 2000's runner vibe if you want to go down that path.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NB made in UK or USA? New 990v6 with modern foam is super comfortable and also new 991v2 is great.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last I saw of Patrik Ervell was in Paris, in what must have been his last season or thereabouts. I met briefly with the rep who started as a member of the forum (if someone remembers his name, please remind me, he was a cool guy) and they were trying to pivot a bit in fit, make it more accessible. He had interesting ideas, but the look was so specific that the customer base would have been rather small. That said, I could see him adapting well to the vibes of 2024 fashion pretty easily.
I wore multiple Ervell knits this winter. Big fan.

casterofdreams

Reaction score
I recommend the UltraBoost DNA line. The newer styles with the “bubble butt” cushioning is a bit goofy in my opinion. The DNA line is all based on the original UB designs and is sleek. Ignore the heart design below. Unless you like it then don’t ignore.
IMG_6234.jpeg

I have the Margiela x Reebok shoes. Got them super cheap from Undefeated. Coincidentally, I got the running shoes from the collection.
IMG_0713.jpeg

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm looking for something a little less sporty than these. Its kind of a nebulous request; something more like a not as slim common projects with more support. I suppose I could size up to fit a nice comfortable insole in there. I walk 4-5 miles a day so I either end up with really sporty shoes like a Hoka or a nice boot. Looking for a middle ground

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I'm looking for something a little less sporty than these. It’s kind of a nebulous request; something more like a not as slim common projects with more support. I suppose I could size up to fit a nice comfortable insole in there. I walk 4-5 miles a day so I either end up with really sporty shoes like a Hoka or a nice boot. Looking for a middle ground
CQ.P
Zespa
Skolyx

I’ve also been looking at some Vans alternatives that yield some other results from Europe and Japan and Taiwan fwiw

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
CQ.P
Zespa
Skolyx

I’ve also been looking at some Vans alternatives that yield some other results from Europe and Japan and Taiwan fwiw
The Zespas I have feel pretty much identical to Common Projects.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm looking for something a little less sporty than these. Its kind of a nebulous request; something more like a not as slim common projects with more support. I suppose I could size up to fit a nice comfortable insole in there. I walk 4-5 miles a day so I either end up with really sporty shoes like a Hoka or a nice boot. Looking for a middle ground
Ann Demeulemeester sneakers with a Saphir anatomical insole all day, every day. https://www.kirbyallison.com/products/saphir-leather-anatomic-insole
So comfy, especially with fallen arches like mine.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CQ.P
Zespa
Skolyx

Ann Demeulemeester sneakers with a Saphir anatomical insole all day, every day. https://www.kirbyallison.com/products/saphir-leather-anatomic-insole
So comfy, especially with fallen arches like mine.
This is what I was looking for thank you!

These sneakers are fairly cheap, are they wellmade? (Not the CQ.P, but the other two)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is what I was looking for thank you!

These sneakers are fairly cheap, are they wellmade? (Not the CQ.P, but the other two)
I have a pair of Skolyx loafers that I like enough to consider ordering another pair. Feel comfortable on feet. Took a couple of exchanges (partly the stores fault for sending wrong pair), but they were amendable. I was considering their sneakers but still thinking about color.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure which thread to put this topic in.

I noticed that some folks respond to fit pics with, "No", "Nope", "I don't like <blah>", etc. This is absolutely fine, and it's their prerogative. Also, some posts deserve the snark.

However, it might be better to add more context like, "Hey, those textures don't work together," or "There's too much contrast," etc. This additional context:
  1. Can give meaningful feedback to the poster, and
  2. Others reading can learn from your perspective.
Just a thought.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads