• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Albert Yi

Reaction score
Some photos. After about a week they are comfortable enough that I can run errands in, not quite comfortable enough for me to walk a mile. I'm starting to think I should've ordered true to size. They are still a little snug width-wise, and I'm still getting some heel irritation. It's manageable with a bandaid, however.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^wow Parisian blue is somethign really amazing. Nice make up! I should continue to lossen up a bit. I have the CXL beefroll and ranger moc in my brannock size and they all have heel slippage now (2 and 3 years old). When I wear my beefrolls sockless, half of my heel comes out.

gstephen70

Reaction score

Does anyone know anything about these? It looks like suede camp mocs on a leather sole. If I wear a size 9 in the ranger mocs with rubber camp moc sole, should I also get a size 9 in these?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Ranco...var_MH00181_Color=BRWN&contentpos=4&cgid=0522

Tau, when I was placing my order, I asked Katie about these and she said these run true to size. I am going to order these but with a rubber sole, as I don't dress for work any longer.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Some photos. After about a week they are comfortable enough that I can run errands in, not quite comfortable enough for me to walk a mile. I'm starting to think I should've ordered true to size. They are still a little snug width-wise, and I'm still getting some heel irritation. It's manageable with a bandaid, however.
What a color. I need those.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I decided recently to get the Brooks Brothers #8 Cordovan Boat Shoes because they were on sale and for once they had my size in stock. I did so even though I already have a pair of #8 Cordovan Ranger Mocs, and I'm glad I did. My Ranger Mocs are on the Montello Tempest Sole and are lined while the Boat Shoes are unlined and on what appears to be their rubber boat sole. The boat shoe should be lighter and cooler and just another great option for the summer.

great looking boat shoe! Just don't actually get them wet ;)

They look fantastic. Great shoe for shell. And you can get them a little wet... Builds character.

Those look great! I've had mine for a year now, and they have had a hard year but look great IMO. I would't worry about getting them wet - Rancourt doesn't use any product on their shell, so it is less likely that you will get dreaded "welts" when getting the shell wet. Exhibits a and b: (taken about 3 minutes apart this past Saturday after trudging through the wet yard).

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great! I've had mine for a year now, and they have had a hard year but look great IMO. I would't worry about getting them wet - Rancourt doesn't use any product on their shell, so it is less likely that you will get dreaded "welts" when getting the shell wet. Exhibits a and b: (taken about 3 minutes apart this past Saturday after trudging through the wet yard).

So whether they welt or not has more to do with the product a shoemaker may use on the shoes once they leave Horween? If true this is good information to know.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^I'm not 100% sure about that. I have a couple pair of Alden shell and some welt while others don't. Luck of the draw maybe?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I'm not 100% sure about that. I have a couple pair of Alden shell and some welt while others don't. Luck of the draw maybe?

The Cordovan welt is one of those things I have read about but yet to experience. I just have no interest at this point in messing with it if I don't have to.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

The Cordovan welt is one of those things I have read about but yet to experience. I just have no interest at this point in messing with it if I don't have to.

Eh. Doesn't bother me. They go away and they are just shoes.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Do you have to work on them with a deer bone or do they just recede and go away.

They must just go away. I let them dry and when I go to wear them again (usually the next week with my current rotation) they are gone. I just wipe them down with my lambswool polishing mitt and they are good as new. I have become so much more lax with my shell routine over the past year or so. They don't look any different than when I used to brush the crap out of them after every single wear.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They must just go away. I let them dry and when I go to wear them again (usually the next week with my current rotation) they are gone. I just wipe them down with my lambswool polishing mitt and they are good as new. I have become so much more lax with my shell routine over the past year or so. They don't look any different than when I used to brush the crap out of them after every single wear.

Good to know. All I've ever read here led me to believe that you would have to work on them with a deer bone to make them go away. High maintenance isn't something I'm looking forward to.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Good to know. All I've ever read here led me to believe that you would have to work on them with a deer bone to make them go away. High maintenance isn't something I'm looking forward to.

The point of Cordovan is it's low maintenance. Members make it high maintenance, IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads