• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I just double checked mine and they really don't look anything like your pair. Just some very slight rippling right near the moc stitch.
I took a look at my shell Rangers too and I also don't have the bunching the OP has.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
I’m ready to pull the trigger on some shell pinch pennies but I can’t make up my mind between espresso or colour 8! The espressos look so good but color 8 loafers are just so classic.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents...

Color no. 8 is readily available from most all shell-cordovan-shoemakers. Espresso / brown shell is not. I would pick up espresso shell in this instance. There are always lots of opportunities to pick up color no. 8.

20220203_095616.jpg

NonChalant321

Reaction score
I’m ready to pull the trigger on some shell pinch pennies but I can’t make up my mind between espresso or colour 8! The espressos look so good but color 8 loafers are just so classic.

I have espresso from Rancourt and color 8 from Alden. Wouldn't have it any other way. Rancourt's espresso are a favorite, and Alden's color 8 is just one of the best versions of color 8 there is.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
I have espresso from Rancourt and color 8 from Alden. Wouldn't have it any other way. Rancourt's espresso are a favorite, and Alden's color 8 is just one of the best versions of color 8 there is.

Thanks for sharing, this confirms the feeling I’ve had that Rancourt’s color 8 lacks that special depth/complexity that Alden’s has.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden's #8 should be given another name. From what I understood they post-process their #8 after it's received from Horween. Do any other shoemakers do that? I think Rancourt might do it with some of their shell.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Rancourt hand colored all of their shell?
I thought they did it for some colors at least. When I had my ranger mocs made in #4, they said they were waiting on stock from Horween, so I assumed they were made stock from what they received from Horween.

BAK

Reaction score
That is my understanding as well, sir.
Rancourt hand colors Natural to create Caramel, Navy, Olive and Espresso. Their #8 and Black are standard 8/Black.

@Churchill W - if you had #4 shoes made then they were likely genuine #4 (not hand colored to resemble #4). Rancourt would have requested a couple shells from Horween to make your pair. I believe @mdubs had a pair of boots made in a similar manner. He could correct me if I'm wrong.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Rancourt hand colors Natural to create Caramel, Navy, Olive and Espresso. Their #8 and Black are standard 8/Black.

@Churchill W - if you had #4 shoes made then they were likely genuine #4 (not hand colored to resemble #4). Rancourt would have requested a couple shells from Horween to make your pair. I believe @mdubs had a pair of boots made in a similar manner. He could correct me if I'm wrong.

They ordered Color #4 direct from Horween. I had to wait for Horween to finish a batch and ship the shells to Rancourt before they could start production on my shoes. Likewise for my Marbled Black Shells.

The last time that I talked to Rancourt, they liked #4 enough, and it was popular enough, that they were trying to keep a few shells on hand all the time.

-Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads