• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph lauren or lacoste?

handler4me

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering which polos you guys prefer to wear. Is it the Ralph Lauren polos (not the purple label ones) or the Alligator Lacoste Polos? I personally prefer the Ralph Lauren's because a) they're cheaper and b) I feel they are better quality.

rsp1

Reaction score
I am a fan of the new RL "custom fit" (slim fit) shirts - the fit is much better than their traditional line and I like the new color combinations. However, my RL's do not seem to last as long as my Lacoste polos.

gregory

Reaction score
However, my RL's do not seem to last as long as my Lacoste polos.
I agree. Also Lacoste uses mother-of-pearl buttons and the cotton just feels better.

auto90403

Reaction score
lacoste is still the gold standard -- you want that alligator on your chest, not somebody else's logo.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gold standard?  I'd rather not have ANY logo on my chest, and prefer something a bit more esoteric if I'm forced to wear a label.  I personally wear RL since they can be found at massive discount (>$25) and are sufficiently presentable for running errands, Saturday mornings, etc.  For those dreaded business casual events that everyone hates, I prefer Hickey-Freeman, pima cotton polos by Joseph Abboud, Dunhill, and the odd RL PL pique polo I picked up for $25.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm personally a fan of RL Purple Label, they can be found on Polo.com or in boutiques rarely for $69 on discount, although they are normally $140ish. I think the lisle polos from RLPL are some of the best I have encountered regardless of price.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the ralph Lauren Polo.They seem to fit better, you can cusotmize it to what color pony you want, and come in over 100 colors.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate both companies.  There should be an additional choice on the poll.
What do you know of Morphine Generation?

I'm told I can buy their polos over the phone, but I'd like some feedback before I buy anything sight unseen.

Sizing? Average price?

(They have a cool logo, though.)

thc

Reaction score
Although I'm not a big fan of RL and prefer the history of Lacoste and Rene Lacoste, I have to admit that RL polo shirts fit me much better and have a better variety in material, color and patterns...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to inject seriousness where it's not needed. I will find it funny when the number of respondents in this poll quickly passes the number in the "mock election" poll.

Of course, that one is hidden in Current Events.

I could see Kerry wearing Lacoste, though I'd bet he'd polo it up as well. W I see favoring corporate logo golf-style shirts. Alligator, Horse, or Halliburton logo? I think they've both been guilty of the faded denim sport shirt recently...

Material Boy

Reaction score
Polo has recently increased the price of its polo shirts from $52.5 to $65. One of the Polo rep inform me that the reason for such a huge increase is to make its product more compatible (in price) with those of Lacoste shirts (regularly priced at $69).

As an owner of over 100 Polo shirts by Polo and over 20 Lacoste shirts, IMH, Polo shirts do not shrink very much after putting them in a dryer. Lacoste shirts, on the other hand, do shrink a lot once you put them in a dryer. Now I only line dry my Lacoste polo shirts. Another significant difference between the two is that Polo tend to fade a little bit in colors after many washes while Lacoste manages to hold up its color fairly well after years of washing.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow, 100 polo shirts? I have about 20 by various manufacturers, and think that is too many, did you custom make one of every possible color/horse combo?

gregory

Reaction score
Another significant difference between the two is that Polo tend to fade a little bit in colors after many washes while Lacoste manages to hold up its color fairly well after years of washing.
You're perfectly right.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally tend to prefer RL Polo's over Lacoste polo's for several reasons:

1) Fit
Polo: Regular and Custom Fits
Lacoste: Single Fit

2) Logo
Polo: Embroidered on
Lacoste: Stitched on patch

3) Collar
Polo: Almost spread-collar shirt-like in construction and look, fits close to neck
Lacoste: flatter looking collar with gap between neck and collar

4) Color Availability
Polo: 100 plus colors and custom color / pony design available
Lacoste: Standardized colors, less than 50 available

At the same time Lacoste wins over Polo with MOP buttons and finer knit material.

But, the material is a trade off; since it is delicate it should be air-dried instead of just tossing it into the drying machine, as one would do with RL Polo's. And I personally can do without MOP buttons on my sport polo shirts.

Jon.

Edit: The RL Polo's of yesteryears use to fade after multiple washes, but as of late they have held their color quite well, especially darker colors like black and blue, which tend to fade more oft than not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads