• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

jssdc

Reaction score

Hi gents - not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.. Anyway, several weeks ago I decided that I had to have a pair of c&j Portman 3 (handgrade) in brown - could not get these shoes in Australia for love or money. Mail order or Internet purchase therefore the only option. Established my size as 8.5 E by trying on a pair of suede c&j lowndes (main line) - the 8.0 was uncomfortably tight. The Portmans arrived this week and they are absolutely beautiful.. But I think they are too big... Is there a difference in sizing between hand grade and normal c&j. I believe the lowndes and Portman are made on equivalent lasts. Any advice would be great. I'm tempting to send back and get the 8, but it's a roll of the dice and the postage is killer. Thanks

Some C&J SAs claim that there's a difference between BG and HG shoes and I can't tell if there is or not and I own several pairs of each. That said, the closure does seem to have a significant impact on 348/58 fitting for me. Basically, I feel like non-oxfords feel like they fit larger. I don't know if this is true or just feeling, but this may be what you're experiencing with the portmans. Fwiw I also own this shoe (Portman 3) and every time I wear it I feel like it's too big for the first 15-20 minutes and then it's just fine.

Nice Cleav!

Folks, need some advice on the 348 last. I'm still torn between unloading a pair of highburys or keeping them. I'm finding them a bit elongated relative to what I'm used to, although it seems that they are within specs or if longer not obscenely longer (from Barneys; thanks Cleav for measurements on your 7.5UKs). 

I am finding a decent amount of unused toe space in the shoe (which seems to be part of the 348 last on some). It is certainly longer than some 9D shoes I have on Carmina's Rain and a touch longer than my 9.5 Carmina Simpson last shoes (sized up due to narrowness). Is this people's experience as well, if you have both makes or equivalent?

Tweedy: I unfortunately do not own any Carmina so I cannot speak to your specific request. However I do own tetburys (in 8.5 UK) and I feel like the fit/creasing pattern may be similar to the highburys. In short, and as noted above in reference to the portmans, the non-Oxford closure in combination with the long last shape makes for a funny feel, at least at first. I would also expect a double-crease (not a technical term, but I don't know how else to say it) where one crease appears over the forefoot and the other where the bottom of the facings would be on an Oxford. Pity I didn't logon earlier today as I was wearing my tetburys this morning but switched shoes before goi to the airport, so missed the opportunity to use pictures to illustrate my point.

My .02 would be to lace them up at the end of the day (when your foot is at its largest), place a pencil across the forefoot and see where the crease is. Note that place and then line them up again with your Carminas. If they're at pretty similar places relative to the heel then you've got the same fit, and just need to determine if the aesthetics suit your taste. For me, I think highburys are lovely, and nearly jumped on your classified before reflecting on my unscheduled and unplanned audley purchase earlier this month and a pair of vass arriving this week and deciding that two shoe purchases per quarter is more than enough at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does any of you folks from the UK plan on visiting the Northampton soon? I just spoke to their Factory Shop and they got some Conistons there for 200 GBP
bounce2.gif

Trouble is, they won't dispatch the shoes outside the FS like John Lobb/Edward Green normally do. One has to personally visit the Shop and purchase them ..

So, if someone is going there anyway, please PM me, and I will of course reimburse for the proxy mission!
I would also be interested in this, if someone is heading out there. Please PM me. Cheers.

labravajazz

Reaction score

Hi gents - not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.. Anyway, several weeks ago I decided that I had to have a pair of c&j Portman 3 (handgrade) in brown - could not get these shoes in Australia for love or money. Mail order or Internet purchase therefore the only option. Established my size as 8.5 E by trying on a pair of suede c&j lowndes (main line) - the 8.0 was uncomfortably tight. The Portmans arrived this week and they are absolutely beautiful.. But I think they are too big... Is there a difference in sizing between hand grade and normal c&j. I believe the lowndes and Portman are made on equivalent lasts. Any advice would be great. I'm tempting to send back and get the 8, but it's a roll of the dice and the postage is killer. Thanks

Yes, I recall trying on some shoes at CJ Burlington Arcade London and noticed this to be true and the assistant agreed that Handgrade generally are a little less tight. I found that I could fit into 10.5 E in handgrade models but some BG were a bit too tight. Maybe not 1/2 a size in it though? In most shoes I am closer to 10.75 I think.....FWIW

nigeljh

Reaction score
Good afternoon/morning/evening...

I'm looking for a bit of advise please on my first pair of shell cordovan boots.

I've just got myself an pair of Harlech boots, much nicer I thought that the pair of Alden cap-toe colour #8 that I tried! However, I've noticed an issue on the top of one of the boots - a slightly rough, dry patch. Is that something I should be concerned with? Can I sort it with a spot of renovator / polish / bone? I bought mail order from Crockett & Jones so could swap without too much hassle, or take the 10% refund that they've offered.

Thoughts anyone?

Beach Bum

Reaction score
I'd return them, or exchange I mean. Looks like it's showing on the outside as well and that would irritate me.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nature of C&J shell, dryness is a huge hassle on RL marlows. I would probably exchange as well though no guarantee new pair is any better

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good afternoon/morning/evening...

I'm looking for a bit of advise please on my first pair of shell cordovan boots.

I've just got myself an pair of Harlech boots, much nicer I thought that the pair of Alden cap-toe colour #8 that I tried! However, I've noticed an issue on the top of one of the boots - a slightly rough, dry patch. Is that something I should be concerned with? Can I sort it with a spot of renovator / polish / bone? I bought mail order from Crockett & Jones so could swap without too much hassle, or take the 10% refund that they've offered.

Thoughts anyone?

To be fair I don't think I would bother returning them, and I even guess my Harlechs would look a bit like that in some places. This is after all a spot that would usually be covered by your trousers. But DON'T use renovateur, but instead Saphirs cordovan cream that is much richer. I apply it once or twice a year at maximum, and the rest care I do with a brush and some water. Can't comment on the bone-trick since I have never used it.

Best,
SKM

nigeljh

Reaction score
I'd return them, or exchange I mean. Looks like it's showing on the outside as well and that would irritate me.

Thanks - actually those two pics are of the same thing, just the second is close-up of the first

Nature of C&J shell, dryness is a huge hassle on RL marlows. I would probably exchange as well though no guarantee new pair is any better

Thanks, yes I did wonder if I might hit the problem again, and I do particularly like the colour on these. Hmm....

To be fair I don't think I would bother returning them, and I even guess my Harlechs would look a bit like that in some places. This is after all a spot that would usually be covered by your trousers. But DON'T use renovateur, but instead Saphirs cordovan cream that is much richer. I apply it once or twice a year at maximum, and the rest care I do with a brush and some water. Can't comment on the bone-trick since I have never used it.

Best,
SKM

Thanks, and thanks for the advice re renovateur, I thought I'd read that was ok and I do have some, but I ordered a jar of the cordovan cream yesterday anyway.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

edwod

Reaction score

Some C&J SAs claim that there's a difference between BG and HG shoes and I can't tell if there is or not and I own several pairs of each. That said, the closure does seem to have a significant impact on 348/58 fitting for me. Basically, I feel like non-oxfords feel like they fit larger. I don't know if this is true or just feeling, but this may be what you're experiencing with the portmans. Fwiw I also own this shoe (Portman 3) and every time I wear it I feel like it's too big for the first 15-20 minutes and then it's just fine.

Thanks - agree the closure is likely to contribute. Being a half boot maybe a bit a play at the top is normal..

edwod

Reaction score

Yes, I recall trying on some shoes at CJ Burlington Arcade London and noticed this to be true and the assistant agreed that Handgrade generally are a little less tight. I found that I could fit into 10.5 E in handgrade models but some BG were a bit too tight. Maybe not 1/2 a size in it though? In most shoes I am closer to 10.75 I think.....FWIW

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads