• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted before, but Ben Silver has a decent deal (was $690 now $483) on some burgundy handgrades.
http://www.bensilver.com/The-Downing-Wingtip-In-Burgundy,1659.html#.UT-gARyG18E

Burgundy calf, not Manton approved though.

Last edited:

CandJONLINE

Reaction score
Does anyone know if C&J uses metal or wooden shanks? If they use metal shanks, has anyone activated the security alarm on airports with their C&Js?
In all Goodyear Welted styles we only use wooden shanks. Metal shanks are only used in our flat lasted patent shoes.

kaizo

Reaction score
I am looking for a narrow fit last with a round toe. According to the people at Jermyn Street I should take a D but that usually limits my options drastically. Any suggestions for a narrowish E last?

kaizo

Reaction score
348 isnt narrow enough?
also I think the 360 is beautiful, havent tried it so I dont know, but it looks pretty narrow
Thanks for the reply I know its a personal choice but what's people's opinion about cap toe or plain toe for my first black shoes?

I'm thinking of Hallam, Wembly or Alex.

Also is Alex (on the 348 last) still inflated in price? I was told that due to the Bond effect the price sky rocketed. (please correct me if I am wrong).

niklasnordin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I know its a personal choice but what's people's opinion about cap toe or plain toe for my first black shoes?

Also is Alex (on the 348 last) still inflated in price? I was told that due to the Bond effect the price sky rocketed. (please correct me if I am wrong).
If you had asked me last year I would have said either Alex or Wembly, today I would say Westbourne or Malton.
Wholecut is not as versatile as a cap toe...imo.
I would say Westbourne is an excellent choice though...beauuutiful

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't notice a significant jump on prices secondary to the movie. Demand might be higher though because of it. Recent price change was across the board (similar to many other brands).

kaizo

Reaction score
348 isnt narrow enough?
also I think the 360 is beautiful, havent tried it so I dont know, but it looks pretty narrow

Thanks again for the suggestion I went to Jermyn street today and tried both the 360 and 348. I agree that 360 looks beautiful but when I tried the 348 the fit was narrower and much more snug and fit is king. :)

I think I will either go for a Hallam or Alex. One question though I have about 1/2 cm of opening on the top of my V shape where my laces are. Do you think this is enough for a C and J leather (I don't know how much it stretches). I checked with the sales person and he said the fit and size is how it should be. I presume this means minimum closing of the V once it stretches?

niklasnordin

Reaction score
Thanks again for the suggestion I went to Jermyn street today and tried both the 360 and 348. I agree that 360 looks beautiful but when I tried the 348 the fit was narrower and much more snug and fit is king. :)

I think I will either go for a Hallam or Alex. One question though I have about 1/2 cm of opening on the top of my V shape where my laces are. Do you think this is enough for a C and J leather (I don't know how much it stretches). I checked with the sales person and he said the fit and size is how it should be. I presume this means minimum closing of the V once it stretches?
nice to hear :)
I dont know what's considered a good opening, I just know that if you can close it fully, its too large and you cant fix your foot obviously. 1/2 cm sounds pretty acceptable to me.
Also, for me there is quite a big difference in how swollen my feet are between a warm summer day and a cool autumn/spring day. Something to think of when you are trying out shoes in cold weather.

granjamo

Reaction score
Can anyone provide some guidance on "Cavalry Calf" ? Having searched this thread there appear to be two camps on the subject:

a) a wax-infused full grain calf skin
b) corrected grain

Additionally... if #1 is true, please advise on care.

Thank you

kaizo

Reaction score

nice to hear :)
I dont know what's considered a good opening, I just know that if you can close it fully, its too large and you cant fix your foot obviously. 1/2 cm sounds pretty acceptable to me. 
Also, for me there is quite a big difference in how swollen my feet are between a warm summer day and a cool autumn/spring day. Something to think of when you are trying out shoes in cold weather.

Great :) thanks for your help I think I will go ahead and but a pair of Alex in that case!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads