• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

User888

Reaction score
Seems we only need 2 more people in order to finish the brown shell cordovan Galway 2.

zdekieAgawByBe7rhKtrVmjttntM9vqe6pYd8wwDrP7NCRWqxcUtyZv62AtaxbkVu2l1Eaml6ssDwEEpQWeTDvyTyWd4HBpMXR7HnFWfbTdw-mdJxBdGF8KNOsq2cAbQccTjQcRu1w
8ukELA4iv4un9TcjIogIJlF5xxqrXmOcaVVv0gcBs_-Cw6_1Ar_JRNrmMpLge4cpehpY9U4jrSHz9cQqrfEzFsWRUBdHqjiE-h4e8AVeWnEUUndICqAhRPmcAS4Vsq7jp_vDB5bHHA

Ok I'm in, I'll shipp them to a UK address

Moostyle

Reaction score
Well guys, for those that remember this little saga it appears to be coming to a happy end (for me at least). The shoes were returned to C&J by my reseller and C&J are apparently replacing the shoes with a new pair. I asked the seller why they are replacing them and he said:

The pair had no fault whatsoever. The loose thread was some wax. C&J have a reputation to uphold and the young man who authorized the return shouldn’t have done so . But that’s not your fault . So the senior management didn’t want to appear foolish and contradictory.

So in the end looks like I will get satisfaction even if I cannot verify that was what C&J actually said. If there was truly no flaw and it was just wax then I still don't understand why my reseller couldn't have had his cobbler tidy things up, but I guess that doesn't matter now and all I care about is getting a pair of 1000EUR shoes with no crappy stitching on the front that would have bothered me every time I looked down at my feet.

It's a shame this turned so sour as in principle this reseller was a good avenue of getting shoes, but c'est la vie and I will not tolerate a communication style like that from anyone.

I will update when they arrive. :)
The boots arrived the other week and I took them straight to be rubberized at my local cobblers. The stitching on the new pair is perfect on each shoe and finally I have a pair of shoes that is exactly what I wanted (pics attached). :D

These boots are VERY different to my Grant Stones in that they can be worn with thinner socks without discomfort because the cordovan on the Harlechs is FAR more soft and supple than that on my Grant Stone Edwards. On the Grant Stones the cordovan is tougher and less flexible and as a result has an objectively higher level of discomfort.

Additionally, the Harlechs feel so much lighter and more svelte than other GYW boots I have (Grant Stone Diesel/Edward and Thursday Captains), riding a fine line between smart and casual comfort that I have decided that I really like in a GYW boot. They look sharp, they look high quality, and yesterday with my trousers and white shirt and leather jacket they really looked the business. :)

With regards to the sizing, the 341 last of the Harlechs seems narrower than the average boots, but there is a decent amount of space in my UK10 / US11 for the toes and this seems to have also got a little looser using shoe trees which is very nice. I would not wear thicker mid-weight socks like with my other boots, but padded lightweight socks would likely be perfect. Currently I am wearing dress socks with them and no issues... I will likely add a thin additional leather sole like with my other boots for a bit more comfort when walking.

Yes, the Harlechs at 950 EUR were considerably more expensive than the Grant Stone Edward Cordovans (700 EUR inc shipping and taxes) and whether that is worth it or not is, as always, in the eye of the beer-holder. However from my perspective these Harlechs are a noticeable and satisfying step up in quality over my other boots and will fulfil the role of being my premium office and smart casual boots. I would also really like these in black, though the cost would be relatively eye-watering at around 1200 EUR. However, as they would last many years an as I know they fit so well, it may well be worth it for me. Alternatively, I may check out Carmina and see what they are like.

So, while I have et to really put them through their paces, I am so far very happy with them and of course I am also glad to have this saga with this overly proud and sensitive reseller at an end. :)

Attachments

• 20220304_083421.jpg
    20220304_083421.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220304_083425.jpg
    20220304_083425.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The boots arrived the other week and I took them straight to be rubberized at my local cobblers. The stitching on the new pair is perfect on each shoe and finally I have a pair of shoes that is exactly what I wanted (pics attached). :D

These boots are VERY different to my Grant Stones in that they can be worn with thinner socks without discomfort because the cordovan on the Harlechs is FAR more soft and supple than that on my Grant Stone Edwards. On the Grant Stones the cordovan is tougher and less flexible and as a result has an objectively higher level of discomfort.

Additionally, the Harlechs feel so much lighter and more svelte than other GYW boots I have (Grant Stone Diesel/Edward and Thursday Captains), riding a fine line between smart and casual comfort that I have decided that I really like in a GYW boot. They look sharp, they look high quality, and yesterday with my trousers and white shirt and leather jacket they really looked the business. :)

With regards to the sizing, the 341 last of the Harlechs seems narrower than the average boots, but there is a decent amount of space in my UK10 / US11 for the toes and this seems to have also got a little looser using shoe trees which is very nice. I would not wear thicker mid-weight socks like with my other boots, but padded lightweight socks would likely be perfect. Currently I am wearing dress socks with them and no issues... I will likely add a thin additional leather sole like with my other boots for a bit more comfort when walking.

Yes, the Harlechs at 950 EUR were considerably more expensive than the Grant Stone Edward Cordovans (700 EUR inc shipping and taxes) and whether that is worth it or not is, as always, in the eye of the beer-holder. However from my perspective these Harlechs are a noticeable and satisfying step up in quality over my other boots and will fulfil the role of being my premium office and smart casual boots. I would also really like these in black, though the cost would be relatively eye-watering at around 1200 EUR. However, as they would last many years an as I know they fit so well, it may well be worth it for me. Alternatively, I may check out Carmina and see what they are like.

So, while I have et to really put them through their paces, I am so far very happy with them and of course I am also glad to have this saga with this overly proud and sensitive reseller at an end. :)

If you received these in the first place there would have been no drama. They look great. 👏🏻 Wear them in good health!

Coolhand0302

Reaction score

Glad this finally got resolved to your satisfaction! I agree with you that luxury clothing like these boots are a premium item, and craftsmanship should be reflective of this... Glad C&J made it right for you, and hope you enjoy your boots - they look great!!

twixie

Reaction score
I am looking for some fit advise from the Alden/C&J owners out there... What size would you recommend in the Connaught (236 last)?

Barrie last (Long Wing): 10.5 D US
Trubalance last (Indy): 10.5 D US
Leydon last (Chukka): 11 E US
Van last (LHS): 11 D US

Thank you!
I would buy 10.5 E UK.
For most C&J lasts you should need 10E but 236 is a very old last and it tends to be small...

hysteria

Reaction score
It would be helpful to solicit the group's thoughts on the CJ Boston.
I'm searching for a pair of Burgundy Penny Loafers and my top contenders are the CJ Bostons and Carmina XIM. The price difference is significant but having no experience with CJ's, I'm not yet sure if the price difference is really justified by a remarkable difference in the quality of leather and construction.

Input on this would be really appreciated!

barutanseijin

Reaction score
It would be helpful to solicit the group's thoughts on the CJ Boston.
I'm searching for a pair of Burgundy Penny Loafers and my top contenders are the CJ Bostons and Carmina XIM. The price difference is significant but having no experience with CJ's, I'm not yet sure if the price difference is really justified by a remarkable difference in the quality of leather and construction.

Input on this would be really appreciated!

You could get both and keep the pair with the better fit. If you already know one or the other will fit, maybe just go with that.

I went with the unlined shell Harvards because the Brooks Bros. shell LHS are no longer available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads