• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just received these Sydneys. I know the tongue under the strap won't be seen but is this what should be expected of their quality? Surely the finisher could have easily applied some finish under the strap. Does anyone else have the Sydney with this same issue?
I would hardly call that an issue. I don't think it would be reasonable for the finisher to apply a small around of procuct to that area, attempt to brush/buff it, and still maintain an even finish on the visible area around the strap. Personally, I dont see it as an issue with quality or CJ. Enjoy the wonderful shoes, they look great!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FullSizeRender_zpswy412ujt.jpg

Happy Tuesday!

chandelle

Reaction score
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned of getting their leather sole converted to Dainite. Seriously? While most would love to convert *to* leather, why would anyone want to remove it for Dainite or rubber? I'm quite nonplussed...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned of getting their leather sole converted to Dainite. Seriously? While most would love to convert *to* leather, why would anyone want to remove it for Dainite or rubber? I'm quite nonplussed...

I can't immediately think why one would want to convert TO leather on any practical basis. Most of my boots are on Dainite or some other form of synthetic sole and I wouldn't have them any other way. On slender and delicate dress shoes, sure, leather seems an okay choice.

Last edited:

TokenMao

Reaction score

Boots are typically worn in F/W, when the inclement weather is more likely, so a dainite sole or something similar works better in those conditions. I have a pair of Conistons with a leather sole that I'd like to convert to Dainite; the pebble grain is more casual so I don't mind making it less dressy.

insy

Reaction score
I don't even understand why you would want Boots with a leather sole at all. You are wearing boots mostly in the Fall/Winter, which means it's often times raining or even snowing. So how is a leather sole gonna perform? Won't it be even damaged after a few months already?

Now if you just jump into your car and out of it into the office right away, then I wouldn't wear boots in the first place. I see no reason to wear boots all day long sitting on a chair.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: if I place a mail order through the C&J website, will I automatically get directed to US retailers since I'm a US resident? If so, that wouldn't allow me to take advantage of the current currency exchange ratio.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Question: if I place a mail order through the C&J website, will I automatically get directed to US retailers since I'm a US resident? If so, that wouldn't allow me to take advantage of the current currency exchange ratio.

C&J version of online ordering is is email with Pernilla in London. Just use the mail order email address on website.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of shoes (not boots) w/Dainite. They came that way from the manufacturer. I may be speaking for myself, but I've found that the Dainite feels "harder" than most of my leather shoes. In particular, the stock leather soles that Aldens offer and their water lock sole feel softer when I walk. Dainite has a great reputation as a hard wearing sole so it may be that it is a harder, denser material than some leather soles. If I were to wear down my Dainite (probably never since I have too many shoos!), I would certainly consider getting a leather sole just for the comfort.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never done that, but I would just give them a call in the U.K.. C&J has a U.,S. store so I would imagine you would just pay USD and there would be almost no advantage to buying straight through them in the U.S. except for cheaper return shipping if the size is off.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J version of online ordering is is email with Pernilla in London. Just use the mail order email address on website.

I've never done that, but I would just give them a call in the U.K.. C&J has a U.,S. store so I would imagine you would just pay USD and there would be almost no advantage to buying straight through them in the U.S. except for cheaper return shipping if the size is off.

Thanks guys. I'll just reach out to them and see what happens.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leathericonic