• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

katch

Reaction score
The last is not slim or tapered and these should not be confused with dressy boots. These can be your coolest sh-t kickers and also cleaned up to go out. I really like them.

F you all

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

katch, if you see this chelsea boot there, can you peek in and see what's written on the inside?
http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=2100
I'm sort of guessing it's the Alfred Sargent Belgrave with an extra pull tab, but I'm just curious if there are any other clues in the inside markings or the sole.

GMP

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Well Von Franz, hoit1981, and others; thank you for the tips and advice as I have gone ahead and ordered the CJ Islays in 13/12!!! These will be my first Crockett & Jones shoes/boots, can't wait to try them on.

The EXPRESS14 discount works on the fed ex 1-3 days by crediting it $22. That shipping is $22+10 so not free shipping, but still saved some money there too. All in was like $460 since Illinois pays tax.

I really hope these fit well. As boots I'm more flexible using thicker socks if needed. Worst case I head into a Chicago store and return.

Signs were pointing to buy, including my wife buying pot pie for dinner today haha! Made In England. Not to mention looking at some more pictures of them in this thread and online. It was an easy decision haha now I have my Xmas gift.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any time, RTP, and thanks.
smile.gif

My rationale for thinking they're on the 325 has been two-fold.

1: The availability of a 325 Islay from Purdey and (unless I'm mistaken) Richard James suggests that it's an established private label option, better suited to a "modern" aesthetic like RJ's or Phineas Cole's (under whose name the boot's sold) than the more rustic 365 version.

2: Phineas Cole's stylist has, somewhat oddly, laced the boots in the photograph very loosely; this could be making the last look broader across the vamp and more banana-shaped than it may actually be. The toe looks a little less bulbous than the 365's, too, which could just be a function of the lacing config and its relative width. It occurs to me, too, that a storm welt can make any toe look wider, so I take that into account when judging.

To make a longish story short, I'm about 50% convinced that they are on the same last as my Purdeys, but wouldn't be too surprised if I were proven wrong.

You''d better get them, just to make sure.

devil.gif

-VF

[Edit: Okay, pretty sure you're right. The asymmetry of the wingtip detailing now has me thinking 365. Guess this proves that theory's no match for a good eye
foo.gif
]
Hey VF,
I didn't mean to call you out/challenge you on the last. Just trying to figure out what I would be getting into if I bought these boots. The 325 is problematic for me, and since this is a sale item, they will not do refunds if the sizing is off. I do appreciate your time and help.
All the best...
RTP

Von Franz

Reaction score
Oh, hey, no offense taken, RTP.

Sorry if I seemed defensive. I'm not sure why I didn't just edit that post down to the belief that they are, in fact, on the 365 last once I spotted the asymmetry, to be honest.

At any rate, I understand your concern, and it's a valid one. These types of things can be a real gamble if all the info's not pinned down.

On the bright side, should you decide to spring for them and find that the last isn't correct, you may find that the resale value on here or eBay is equal to or higher than what PS is charging now.

-VF

(BTW, that devil smiley looks awfully mean in hindsight. Meant it much more lightly, as in "devilish grin." Sorry 'bout that.)

Last edited:

apack

Reaction score
Quality of Grenson Masterpiece for PS is normally excellent. I haven't handled those particular boots though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads